What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

I dropped a couple of trees with it too today.  One 12" Red Oak, I hit the pine stump I was trying to land it on, so I could saw it up off the ground, but it rolled off the stump after landing dead center.  I was hoping to take a picture, but it ended as a no show.  That point is larger than it looks in those pictures.  It's a couple of acres, and the trees are larger than they look in the picture too.   Some of the limbs were 8 to 10" where they were sliced off the trees.

I hadn't been back down there since the day we were using the lift.  We were both surprised at how much weight of wood we dropped that afternoon.  Mike got three loads of firewood, but the 30" wide toolbox in the 8' bed shortens it noticeably.  I didn't cut up the larger logs of the trees I dropped, since I didn't want to bother to go get one of the larger saws, and it was too slow going with the little one.  There are still several more loads of firewood down there that have to be cut up, but the Sun is supposed to be out tomorrow, so we'll do something else.

On 3/11/2020 at 8:50 PM, MJC said:

I agree 100% Coop. I met my bride in 2016 and we got married this past June. We had 140 people at our wedding and I didn’t have one family member there. Reason is I don’t have any and it’s been this way since I was 15 years old. I consider my self a success story but let me say this no matter what you have and how much of it you have if you aren’t happy you might as well not have any, and I’m talking about money. 

Congratulations on getting married :) As for family, once you get to a certain age you realize that even though you have biological family members, sometimes “chosen” family members (friends) are more reliable. 
Like you, I have no contact with my family but I sure don’t feel alone :) 

• Like 1

Coronavirus throwing anyone else off? Schools here are off for a month. Still waiting to hear about our daycare. I had to cancel some in person events scheduled for next week and scramble to find alternatives. Been a LOOOONG week.

Hope everyone stays safe and healthy!

Our schools were closed as of today by the county not the school districts.  It affects me a little in that even though I am retired I run a small business from home making awards mostly for local schools.  But it is all disposable income, not necessary income.  I feel for the people that are still working but now need to find unexpected daycare.

2 hours ago, legenddc said:

Coronavirus throwing anyone else off?

A little, but not anything that has us too worried.

Schools:

- My daughter is home from college - they're off till Wednesday, and then classes will be "online".  No cases on campus, but they are being cautious since so many kids just got back from travelling for spring break.

- My 2 sons' high school had today off anyways; then just today they made the call to close the school (no classes) next week, after which they'll move to online classes. This is nothing new...they instituted 'online classes' last year as way to handle snow days. it works OK for a day here and there, but no idea how it will be longer term.  Again - no cases or suspected cases, but with spring sports starting and kids being kids, they're being cautious.

My office has transitioned to work from home for everyone where possible. Honestly, my organization is accustomed to having a lot of people work from home or remote so this is not that serious.  This will be for at least the next week officially - but I expect it to be extended.

I think the biggest impact is that I'll either gain a ton of weight since it's so easy to snack all day long, or I'll lose weight because of all the times I'm up and down the stairs to my office in the basement.  Maybe it'll be a mix....I'll end up with killer legs from having to walk my fat *ss up and down the stairs.

The next biggest impact will be on the credit card.  We stocked up on everything and could ride out an entire winter of the worst snowstorms ever.  It's not that we think things will run out.....we just don't want to have to go out to deal with people.

I hope everyone is OK - even without direct medical issues, the churn in events, travel, work and business no doubt will impact everyone.

In Alberta, cancellation of gatherings of over 250 have been recommended, and that seems to be happening. Schools are open, but that could change any day. My grandson's special needs school have asked that parents keep kids home if possible. They face more challenges than regulars schools though.

No toilet paper anywhere and Costco was out of bread & meat this afternoon. We have 29 confirmed cases in the province, but all are related to travel abroad. The Prime Minister's wife has it, she just returned from the UK.

My intention is to keep my head about me & carry on.

Schools here are closed next week for spring break. Local universities have gone to online classes, though.

On an unrelated note, I had a damaged tire replaced this morning. Rushing to work afterwards, I didn't take time to inspect the work. Upon leaving this afternoon, I noticed the tire was getting flabby again. Looking a bit closer, I discovered they replaced the tire on the wrong side of the truck! Now I have to waste time sitting at the tire shop again tomorrow!

• Sad 1

Illinois has banned gatherings of 1000 or more and recommend gatherings of 250 or more should be cancelled or rescheduled.  The Govenor has ordered that all K-12 schools, both public and private, close until March 31.  Colleges have closed, as well.  We have elected to cancel our March woodworking club meeting, and I expect the woodturning clubs to do the same.  And tonight we went to visit a relative in the hospital only to discover that the hospital was not allowing visitors except for end of life.  

5 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Illinois has banned gatherings of 1000 or more and recommend gatherings of 250 or more should be cancelled or rescheduled.  The Govenor has ordered that all K-12 schools, both public and private, close until March 31.  Colleges have closed, as well.  We have elected to cancel our March woodworking club meeting, and I expect the woodturning clubs to do the same.  And tonight we went to visit a relative in the hospital only to discover that the hospital was not allowing visitors except for end of life.  

The NHL suspended its season until further notice. For me that’s like end of life.

l hope your relative is getting better and that they are able to get back home soon.

I work from home and manage my own travel but keeping my clients calm and invested has definitely made for a long week. While I believe we need to take this serious and be prudent the fear will probably do as much if not more harm to most then the virus itself. 

• Like 1