What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

5 hours ago, legenddc said:

He's clearly an astronaut. They all drive Corvettes and I'm sure one launch of the spaceshuttle averages out to at least $40k/day in fuel. I was going to do the math, but I should be working...

Well I think the shuttle would burn more fuel and not sure how "clearly" you could assume astronaut. I guess that would be a compliment maybe so thank you. Do they all drive Huracan's and Mercedes as well? lol 

7 hours ago, Woodenskye said:

I get that a company like UPS or FedEx could easily spend that in a day, but his statement was "I spend $xx on fuel a day"

They spend way more than $40k on fuel a day. Lets do the math together here. If you have 200 units that all put in on average 100 gallons of fuel per day at a cost of $2.00 per gallon what do you get?

Now we can all agree that FedEx and UPS are using many more gallons a day  and I am talking about their linehaul trucks not package delivery trucks.

3 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I say ridiculous because there aren't 100k people living here, and the total land area is under 600 square miles. 

wild guess so average 200 miles per day per bus with 35 students per bus gets you 17,500 students. If your school age population is 30% that's 58k people. Yeah that makes sense.

• Haha 1

@Tom King your tractor work is commendable! We never tore ours down like that while I was working them, although I did standard and automatic transmission work in my 20s. Not sure I’d try it today; I think I was smarter then...

You mentioned Klotz; I remember the dirt bike racers using that when I was a kid. Loved the smell of it, it meant excitement! 

31 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'm guessing @MJC manages a school bus system. Even the relatively low population county I live in logs over 100k miles per day on the school bus fleet.

Which is absolutely ridiculous.

Wrong - I have 1 ice cream truck in the Minneapolis, MN it is a great business to be in but the winters slow down a tad.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

@Tom King your tractor work is commendable! We never tore ours down like that while I was working them, although I did standard and automatic transmission work in my 20s. Not sure I’d try it today; I think I was smarter then...

You mentioned Klotz; I remember the dirt bike racers using that when I was a kid. Loved the smell of it, it meant excitement! 

Yes, the smell is a bonus.  I don't mind the smell of non-ethanol burning with the Stihl Synthetic, but it's no match for Klotz.  

15 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

This tractor has been paid for over 25 years, and I like it.  Over that time, I put a little over a hundred hours a year on it, mostly keeping up our place.  It was well used when I bought it back then.  I had the motor rebuilt 9 years ago, and it runs like a new one.  I broke it several years ago breaking up ice off the road to get a lady out who had to go to therapy every day.  It's been a long term project since then, just in spare time, which is scarce.  Hopefully, I'm finally getting close to the end.

To determine if it was even worth fixing, first I had to rethread all the holes holding the front end loader on- up to 7/8", and 1".  I wasn't sure I could do it, and no one around here could.  That turned into a long term project, involving several sessions of buying tools to get to the next step that I couldn't do with the last tools I bought for that project.  Fortunately, I got that done, and then decided to split it myself.  I had never split a tractor before.

I'm still not sure I won't need to buy a salvage clutch housing, because I had it at a John Deere dealer to fix it, and long story shortened, they did some damage to it.  As an example, when disconnecting the loader lines, they laid a 4x across the hood to hold the loader boom up.  That, of course, didn't work, and it pushed the hood down to the motor..........  What they did inside of it was much worse.

A new one like this would be 65k, and they are a lot more complicated to work on.  The closest person to me that has a new one has had more trouble with it than I've ever had with this one, from normal use, and they can't figure out how to fix his new one.   I decided it's worth it to me to have a simple one to operate, and work on myself, and I already had this one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RichardA said:

32 years driving OTR as O/O. I'm fully aware of the costs.

And these trucks rarely shut off because of the PTO to load and unload. I do have electric pumps on them as well in the event there is a mechanical failure they can still get units off to be towed if need be but that is the only time they use it. They would be a month of Sunday's using that all the time. The other thing is the trucks are always right around 80,000 gross due to the truck weight and the vehicles are not getting any smaller. Fuel mileage is not to good with these units because of this.

I thought I was doing pretty good in life until that fella said something about being an astronaut. I wonder if it is to late for me? ;)

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MJC said:

I thought I was doing pretty good in life until that fella said something about being an astronaut. I wonder if it is to late for me? ;)

Not to late, just move the ice cream truck to Arizona and you immediately gain 6 extra revenue producing months.

I always wondered how long it took to load, and unload car carriers, and how often a vehicle gets damaged in the process.

Back in the '70's, they gave Astronauts T38's to use for personal transportation.  I guess they figured the more stick time they had, the better.  I was in a Cessna 150, waiting behind one that was taking off.  It took about 15 seconds for him to get out of sight.

• Like 1

Well I just got the “How much longer are you going to be running that stuff” so I guess I’m done tonight. This is where I’m at with it at this point. 

I need to order some hardware pieces for the fence but I was waiting until I got the cuts made because I wasn’t sure how many times I would be remaking the pieces. I know this is basic stuff but it’s not for me. 

Thanks to someone on here I ordered the Kerfmaker 2 which will arrive tomorrow so I will get to test that out before I go further. 

I do like gadgets and I ordered another one from woodpeckers today that they are offering until March 30th the pocket compass. I may or may not use it that much but the concept looks cool to me so why not. 

79532540-C9A3-4304-8284-A4C466E783AA.jpeg

• Like 2

@MJC I assumed by all your tractor trailer collection you were in trucking. I was just trying to think of something that used a lot of fuel. You seem to be doing quite well for yourself already.

Whenever I go down to the shop unless my wife comes in to tell me to stop I usually have completely lost track of time. I frequently have to stop to go research something or rewatch a video.