What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

If you have amazon prime watch the Grand Tour Episode on Ferarri vs Ford. Season 1 episode 6. There are a lot of antics in the episode that may or may not be for everyone.

Season 3 episode 12 is another awesome one with a history bit on the porche 917. The 917 was Porche's first lemans win, and their driver was Rickhard Attwood. In the episode Richard Attwood drives the 917 from 1969 around a track racing a current F1 driver in the best 911 on the market. The 50 year old car holds it's own a lot better than you'd think.

I personally love the GT40 but the 917 is just amazing. Reason I mention it is it's a similar story and some of the same people working on the cars.

• Like 1

We have a solar powered Ring camera on a tree in our back yard and after 3 years the base deteriorated - because of the sun, go figure. So I made a mount out of pine, should last a few years, and re-attached it to the tree. A little JB Weld, a Forstner bit wasn’t the exact size so four little shims, three screws and voila!

E0F533BA-D04C-4917-9596-0011335C1825.jpeg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

This is awesome glue but don’t count on long shelf life. The bottle hardened while being stored indoors. I’ll get more when I need it for a hard glue that fills gaps (something useful for a woodworker like me!) and sets like epoxy. 

B647E071-1F70-4DA3-B050-A5359BD5BDC9.jpeg

That seems to be a common problem for many poly adhesives.

• Like 1

One of the WW magazines did some extensive glue testing & found the PU to be good if the joint was tight. It is not good for sloppy joints though. The glue foams up to fill the gap, but that foam is weak, much weaker than the surrounding wood. It's just such horrible stuff to use because of the difficulty with clean up & things get messy when I do a glue up.

I use mainly TB II & by it in the 4 L jug. I may use it in less than a year, or it may last 3 years or more. I've never had it go bad, but it is stored in a cool dark place. I did lose about 1.5 L of TB extend that sat on the shelf for about 5 or 6 years.

• Like 2

So the main gain is that you don't have to mix it which takes all of 30 seconds?

Seems like it has a few drawbacks compared to epoxy despite it's uptick in popularity. Mineral spirits clean up vs well i use vinegar and mechanic's soap for epoxy. I can add filler to epoxy if I know I'll have gaps over 0.005 which is the limit for PU.

The short shelf life is my biggest hurdle along with it's cost. It's more costly compared to epoxy in price per fl oz. small quantities make that even worse.

I thought it was easy to clean up because it scrapes off quickly. It doesn’t set up like titebond II which has been my main glue for a while. The foam fills gaps but it’s not for strength, no glue can cure a pot joint (except maybe epoxy). 
This is what it did on my super solid bed frame of white oak. This was a year ago January and I’m very happy with the results. 

994FD8C8-86D7-4F3F-B978-959D9D8B8F9C.jpeg

4343A1D5-BBDB-4C03-B59C-1C3CFD0DB4BA.jpeg

I used the Gorilla brand poly to glue joints that were also bolted or screwed, for an outdoor "tree house" made of treated pine. Worked well, since it is moisture-cured, and the pine was still juicy.

Years later, when I tore it down, the glue held the simple joints strong, even with the fasteners removed. Had to saw the thing apart in the end. Far less expensive than epoxy, but no, it does NOT fill gaps with any strength.

Polyurathane construction adhesive is a different story.

• Like 1

Because I'm a slow learner, I've twice let the bin overflow to the point where the filter was packed absolutely solid. I couldn't believe how tightly it was packed. Probably took at least 1/2 hour to clean just the filter out each time. I guess it's a testament to how well the blower works because airflow was pretty passable, until suddenly it wasn't.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chet said:

how long did it take to clean the filter.

Excluding removing and reinstalling it, about 15 minutes. I take it outside with compressed air, but first I tap it on the concrete pad, rotate, tap (drop from short height) again, repeat. Occasionally I blow it out then tap some more. Then I blow it out from the outside in for good measure.