What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 minute ago, legenddc said:

They’ve been forcing farmers to get a John Deere rep out to do the repair or else the tractor is rendered useless until the rep does a software update.

Newer cars are on the verge now. If self-drivers take hold, this is the only way auto makers could manage liability. 

At that point, I will seriously consider joining the Amish....

• Like 1

So I finally got some time to spray some light flat, er, sky blue on the Condor. You’ll notice I paint in the same place I make sawdust - yeah I don’t have a paint booth :) But I’ve been getting by without one for 50+ years so I reckon I don’t need one. 
Next is taping off the camouflage colors and applying them. Then the hand work to touch up areas I avoided spraying. 

5BF5DB4C-F259-426C-AC31-714175F369FA.jpeg

B8507111-A244-4DB5-8BDE-EA32D10413F7.jpeg

• Like 1

Really nice!   If you don't mind, would you email me a full sized picture of that building?   Historichousepreservation@gmail.com

We need a building like that on our point.  It would be a good excuse to buy a sawmill.   I used to be able to buy no.2 SYP 2x6 T&G V-Joint (I realize that is not SYP in the picture), like that ceiling, in stock at a local building supply/sawmill, but they went out of business in 1992.  I used a lot of it before that.  It cost the same price per bf as everything else they ran in no. 2 grade.  I'm sure it would be an expensive special order now.

It'll be a project for another year.

22 hours ago, Tom King said:

Really nice!   If you don't mind, would you email me a full sized picture of that building?   Historichousepreservation@gmail.com

We need a building like that on our point.  It would be a good excuse to buy a sawmill.   I used to be able to buy no.2 SYP 2x6 T&G V-Joint (I realize that is not SYP in the picture), like that ceiling, in stock at a local building supply/sawmill, but they went out of business in 1992.  I used a lot of it before that.  It cost the same price per bf as everything else they ran in no. 2 grade.  I'm sure it would be an expensive special order now

I'm not sure what species it is. If it's lumber from the area most of the pines here i think are lobolly.

I sent pictures to your email. Here is another for everyone else.

0123201652_HDR.thumb.jpg.9ac465df6c9e8fe5fea45765843a3789.jpg

20 hours ago, Chet said:

Looks like a really cool building but their specialty isn't something I enjoy.

The rest of their seafood is also really good. Their shrimp was amazing along with the scallops and founder. We are there twice it was so good.

9 hours ago, Coop said:

My thought would be that it would be easier to cut the mortise square to the board, rather than at an angle. I’ve googled a couple of places but don’t find an answer. Not that I will be doing this, just wondered. 

They need a long enough tenon to peg it though so I'm not sure if that would fit within the brace. My guess is angled. They are all 45 degrees so I'd bet they just made a jig to cut 45 degree mortises. It's hard to tell.

0123201652a_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.4e111f64f703996dcbe9eb887cdf053b.jpeg

12 hours ago, Coop said:

On timber frame construction, do the tenons on the braces run at the same angle as the braces or are they perpendicular to the piece with the mortise?

I've seen them done both ways in the really old house frames.  I expect those are perpendicular to the beam that the mortise is in.

It's might SYP.   I'm just not seeing the grain in the pictures.  Where is this?  It could also have been shipped in from somewhere else.

I see that the roof leaked.  Probably exposed fastener metal.  

I already had this picture in the gallery here.  This is SYP.  The grain is pretty unmistakable, although a lot of times people stain it with dark stain, which reverses the dark, and light grain, and makes the soft grain look muddy.  This is just 27, or 8 years of age on it.

IMG_1881.thumb.JPG.f0eb3e26debf6a6a433e6d39c33cbc41.JPG