What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 hour ago, Gary Beasley said:

I did good to get up an get to the bathroom without hanging on to the furniture this morning. No I didnt party over the weekend, I had my surgeon serve an eviction notice on my gall bladder. They were suspicious it was cancerous from the way it looked on the CT scan but it was just inflamed. Now I have four small holes in my belly from the laparoscopy and Im not allowed so pick anything up for a while which is annoying cause I have some really nice black walnut in the shop to rough turn. I did get half of the black walnut root ball roughed out and cored an eight in bowl out of the middle of it. Some wild colors going on in it.C1F1DBD7-66F3-4CB2-8043-273F12903F6A.thumb.jpeg.0b7b0e9c4ae3748cec48f5326d290839.jpeg

I did that Gall Bladder stuff a few years ago.  They weren't even decent enough to give it back so I could make a coin thingy out of it.   Damn, that little bladder can hurt like hell.  Take it easy and you'll be fine shortly.

On 1/14/2020 at 6:21 AM, drzaius said:

Wow. I had the most vivid dream last night that I had a gun just like that. And I don't own any guns & don't want to. That thing was a beauty though. I woke up before I had a chance to try it out in the basement. :wacko:

With the right basement that could be ok, but I prefer room to fling clay pigeons :) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, drzaius said:

Exactly. I remember in my dream thinking it's probably not a good idea, but couldn't figure out what could possibly go wrong.

A sporting goods store that operated here a few decades ago was located in an early 20th-century storefront, down town. They had a small test range in the basement, mostly suitable for shotguns.

Until some yahoo brought in a riot gun modded to shoot full auto. He pulled the trigger, and recoil walked his shots up the wall and into the ceiling. If the old building didn't have such thick hardwood flooring, somone upstairs on the main floor would have left with a 'butt-load' of buckshot....

:o

• Sad 4

52 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Last big trip I did was about 2,750 miles in 56 hours. And maybe that’s part of why it’s been 2.5 years since I’ve done a big road trip. 

I did 4.6 million miles, but it took 32 years.  Been in 48 of the 50 states, but never in North Dakota.  Ya gotta be nuts to be an over the road truck driver.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RichardA said:

Ya gotta be nuts to be an over the road truck driver.

Yeah there is something wrong with drivers these days.On tuesday I had a truck switch lanes while i was right next to him nearly pushed me off the road. I honked at him. After i finally passed him he blared his horn at me and then put his brights on in my rear view for a solid 10 min. Not sure why he wanted to try and push me off the road and then was so upset his plan failed.

No kidding.  This is a 1979 2640.  It has a power reverser that is all hydraulic.  I think they're all electronic now.  It's a 70hp category 2.  A new one this size, with a loader is about 55 to 60k, so I'll run this one for a while longer.

A power reverser is a little lever, to the left side of the steering wheel, that you use your left little finger to flip back, and forth from forward to reverse. You don't even have to use the clutch. They work great for using a loader, but are quite complicated inside the guts of the tractor.  The worst thing about using a reverser is when you get back in the truck, after running the tractor for a while, you are guaranteed to look back over your shoulder, and hit the left turn signal lever, expecting the truck to back up.

For example about the complication, this one has three clutches.  The one you see to the left, in the front part of the tractor is the main clutch.  It's the one activated by the clutch pedal.  That one is fine. The big, thick cast iron ring around the front clutch fits tightly inside the back part, the clutch case, seen to the right.  Six long 5/8" grade 8 bolts hold the two parts together.

Behind that front, main clutch are two more clutches.  One for forward, and one for reverse.  That forward clutch pack is the worn one. It's right inside the rear part of the tractor inside the bell housing facing the front part.  The tractor is as strong as a new one in reverse, but forward was getting pretty tired.

It took longer to take the batteries out, and the wiring harness all apart from the front part, than it did to take the 6 bolts out, and separate it.  A high lift 2 ton floor jack is holding the back part up, under the transmission.  We rolled the back tires to get the back part out of the way enough to get to the clutches.  It took about 2 hours, but a lot of that was walking back to the Service Manual to see what the next step was, in pictures, and text.  It will go a lot faster next time, now that we know what needs to come loose.

I push it pretty hard, so that forward clutch pack takes a lot of abuse cutting a 7' wide swath of grass in 6th gear (out of 8).  It usually gets a little over a hundred hours a year on it.  I built our farm with that tractor, and it's never been babied.

Woodworking represented in the mechanic shop with my mechanic's seat, and the wooden frame cobbled together between the front wheels, to keep them from flopping around with the steering disconnected.

• Like 1

I replaced a JD 710 clutch once. But that little tractor was so small I left the engine hanging from a chain hoist, and just lowered the rear end to the floor by hand. Nothing so complicated as yours.

Funny thing is, years later I bought a used Yanmar 'gray market' import, and it was the same tractor.

On 1/16/2020 at 4:24 PM, legenddc said:

Amazing Tom. Good thing you don’t have a new John Deere or you would have to go to them to repair it. 

Ranch I worked back in the 70s had 14 John Deere tractors, and we did all the work on them. But they were all from the 40s and 50s. Clutches were super simple because they hung off the side :) 

16 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Ranch I worked back in the 70s had 14 John Deere tractors, and we did all the work on them. But they were all from the 40s and 50s. Clutches were super simple because they hung off the side :) 

That wasn’t a jab at Tom or even the new tractors but at John Deere who has decided while you may buy their new tractors you’re only leasing the software to run it. They’ve been forcing farmers to get a John Deere rep out to do the repair or else the tractor is rendered useless until the rep does a software update. 

Farmers are either buying hacked software from the Ukraine or buying old tractors and updating them as needed. Pretty crazy stuff that could spill over to automobiles. 

• Sad 2