What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

41 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Geez Tom you make me feel really lazy for not changing out a caliper on my car!

It's not much different than what I do every day, even though it's greasy metal.  If I had to do any of it by myself, I'd never get much done.  I have a helper that knows where all the tools are, gets what I call for, cleans, keeps them organized, and puts them away when we get through.  I just think about what I need to do next.   I never get in a hurry, but we don't waste much time getting something done.

I worked only for myself for 33 years, so never developed the habit of idling away time, or being anxious for the day to end.

In case anyone is interested, here is a picture of the main seal puller in action.  First try, and it started pulling the seal out, but it slipped off, and then did it again the second time.

There are two clamshell halves.  They have a lip in each end.  One lip grabs the center flange of the seal, and the other end lips surround a steel plate, with threaded hole, and bolt that you tighten against the end of the crankshaft to pull  the seal out.  There is a steel sleeve that slips over the two clamshell halves , that is supposed to hold them in place on the seal flange.  It almost worked okay.  

This was the $250 puller.  If I had bought the $850 puller, it probably would have worked better.

Fortunately, we have a NAPA 7 miles away.  I carried the puller with me, and bought a couple of hose clamps, so I could tighten the puller halves more tightly over the seal lip.  It worked like a charm, and the old seal came right out.

I greased up the new seal, and it started in pretty good.  I had found a PVC pipe fitting that was a good fit, and persuaded it with a hammer.  That probably would have worked fine if I had another three inches to swing the hammer.  I decided not to go to the trouble of taking the radiator out, so I ordered the installer kit, and will wait a couple of days for that to get here.  I have plenty to do around here, that I can do without the truck for a couple of more days.

The wrench is 1-1/8".  Cardboard protects the radiator fins.  You can see there is a lot more room in there than in the typical car, or half ton pickup.  The puller is about 4" diameter on the outside.  The outer part of the seal hasn't started to move yet when I thought to take a picture. Green thing is an oil catch pan on the floor of that shop.

IMG_2097.JPG

• Like 2

I swear every time Tom needs to fix his truck I end up having to work on one of my cars. My car won't shift out of park without the shift lock button being pushed down. Apparently I need to take out the whole center console just to bend a piece of metal slightly and put it all back together.

Hoping to crank that out this weekend and finish the lathe cart I started 5 months ago. Once I get a few things cleared out of my shop I can start building it up again.

3 hours ago, Chet said:

Now that is cool !!!

Yep proud father for sure

3 hours ago, Mark J said:

That's fantastic, but you better watch your step from now on.  B)

Tell me about it! she has been a Michigan State police officer for the last five years the last two of which she was assigned to the DEA working undercover.  Speaking of watching ones step she’s been assigned to the Chicago office :o

3 hours ago, legenddc said:

Congrats and welcome to DC!

Thanks! Looking forward to some serious site seeing this weekend kicking it off with a White House tour at 9am tomorrow :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, legenddc said:

I swear every time Tom needs to fix his truck I end up having to work on one of my cars. My car won't shift out of park without the shift lock button being pushed down. Apparently I need to take out the whole center console just to bend a piece of metal slightly and put it all back together.

Hoping to crank that out this weekend and finish the lathe cart I started 5 months ago. Once I get a few things cleared out of my shop I can start building it up again.

You might want to start with the switch on the brake peddle. Unless it’s it’s fully depressed, you can’t shift into forward or reverse. 

27 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

Attended grand parents day at grandaughters kindergarten.  Great program. fun time.

Day before had both grands (4 and 6) helping build a birdhouse for my wife.  They loved it. 

In between I am trying to come up with a design for a desk for myself.   Torn between a federal style and a non traditional desing of my own.

Grandkids 4 & 6! Heck, I almost don’t remember that far back. Both of ours, twins, boy and girl, are freshmen in college. Sounds like a great couple of days Ronn. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, K Cooper said:

You might want to start with the switch on the brake peddle. Unless it’s it’s fully depressed, you can’t shift into forward or reverse. 

It was the piece under the shifter getting worn out and keeping it in park unless you pressed down in the shift lock button. All fixed, only took about an hour. 

Brought some new lumber in my basement and noticed that the very very small spot of peeling paint was not the whole corner of my window. I poked my finger in and a large chunk fell out. #@*(%. I grabbed a chisel poked around and got this much rotten wood out. I hit it with some of the minwax wood hardener which is NASTY stuff but stabilizes wood nicely.

1124191416.thumb.jpg.da97da0826802aa14fa604f2ec3c179e.jpg

I scraped around and the sill had a lot of loose paint as well. I knew this area would need attention but i was hoping to take care of it next spring when I pain the house. Guess it's happening sooner rather than later.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Brought some new lumber in my basement and noticed that the very very small spot of peeling paint was not the whole corner of my window. I poked my finger in and a large chunk fell out. #@*(%. I grabbed a chisel poked around and got this much rotten wood out. I hit it with some of the minwax wood hardener which is NASTY stuff but stabilizes wood nicely.

1124191416.thumb.jpg.da97da0826802aa14fa604f2ec3c179e.jpg

I scraped around and the sill had a lot of loose paint as well. I knew this area would need attention but i was hoping to take care of it next spring when I pain the house. Guess it's happening sooner rather than later.

I saw that a couple of my windows have the same problem. My house is getting close to 30 years old now & the wooden windows have not aged well. They will be getting replaced soon, but not with wood. Probably fiberglass, if the budget can  take it.

Well the window needed to get repaired. I ran to the local box store and bought some Minwax 2 part wood filler. It's a polyester resin and hardener with filler in it. The stuff is nice and thick and cures hard in about 20 min. With the substantial damage It was goign to need multiple fills. I got all the loose rotten material out and had some Minwax wood hardener brushed on. The hardener is a strong chemical that kills the bacteria that causes rot and soaks the wood with a resin. It really nasty stuff but it works. After That I filled in the void.

1124191643.thumb.jpg.4738057cdb44bb05a46cbe8934d9b384.jpg

In the amount of time it took me to get the material in there and wipe off the putty knife the stuff was set and ready for round 2. I did some more poking around and found some additional rotten material. I removed more rotten material brushed on some hardener. The cured resin is now hard enough to shape with a chisel. I knocked the high spots back to closer to the wood level to make the next step easier. I mixed up another batch and started fill #2.

1124191721.thumb.jpg.a16c49b3d0ca4bb98f06300466c243cf.jpg

1124191722.thumb.jpg.ada9e7559aed8df0c64b1da3766e53bd.jpg

At this point things are pretty close so a bit more time shaping is needed. I started using my block plane to even the filler down. It works really well to cut this stuff when it's freshly cured waiting too long and it gets hard as rock. After this clean up there were still some ares that needed substantial filler. I also poked around a bit more and found even more rotten wood. I removed as much of that as I could. It was the end grain that was exposed on the end of the rails.

1124191748.thumb.jpg.51c4f73edeaf97184c907e55df8191c5.jpg

Batch 3 only needed to be small. I just wanted to refine the top edge of the bottom rail to make sure that the detail matched across. That and fill in the hole on the end of the rail. I had to pull back the weather striping but that was easy. The weather striping could probably be replaced but that's a job for a different day. The filler started to kick before i was done so i added as much as i could in the areas i needed it and just called it good.

1124191801.thumb.jpg.21fc1498d862d0d246ede83f46753a71.jpg

This stuff hardens so fast I never had a break between starting and this point. First fill was 4:45 and the last fill was 6:00. I took a break for dinner which was necessary but made things more difficult. When i returned the filler was really hard and difficult to work with the hand plane. It helped after I sharpened it but it was still rough. I switched to the ROS and things were easier but just as slow. I avoide the ROS as hand tools wouldn't create dust from this nasty stuff and make it airborne.

1124192002.thumb.jpg.04109401a8777bbb3215122fd7d193d2.jpg

I was happy with the results so now it's time for primer and paint.

1124192029.thumb.jpg.5250fae64ca394bd26b96915f34686d0.jpg

1124192029a.thumb.jpg.608da55987c52ebc6be9df66c3977187.jpg

1124192030.thumb.jpg.fe8032dd65f3b89275570b32f1825539.jpg

I'm happy with the result. And it saved me a good chunk of money.

12 hours ago, drzaius said:

I saw that a couple of my windows have the same problem. My house is getting close to 30 years old now & the wooden windows have not aged well. They will be getting replaced soon, but not with wood. Probably fiberglass, if the budget can  take it.

My only bad window is this one. It's the south window for my basement. The corner of the sash that rotted was the bottom south corner and I'd bet it's never seen sunlight and doesn't dry well. To make matters worse this window faces west. I really should put a plexiglass cover over the window hole to stop rain from hitting the window. All of my other windows are in great shape. In the spring we are going to repaint them all and I'm tempted to put new weather striping on them all as well.