What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

4 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I would take them and practice with them. Take them out back somewhere downwind from autos, etc. and declare an object of some sort like a board or bucket a fire and let you, your wife and children actually use them to get the feel. The chemical compound is very similiar to fertilizer used on lawns so it won’t hurt the grass but not real good for the lungs so have the wind to your back. Once used, even if they still have chemical and pressure in them, set them aside as the remaining pressure will leak out. Once they no longer have pressure in them, you can toss them in the garbage. 

I can't recall how many times over the years I've taught classes on PASS and explained it to my family many times..  I'd still bet my family doesn't understand my lesson!  This is a great piece of advice Coop!

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 2:42 PM, K Cooper said:

I would take them and practice with them. 

Sounds similar to bear spray.  Reportedly lots of initial uses are improper, too late, aimed at the bear's nose (instead of creating a cloud between you.)

Honestly, I've never practiced with either.  I think I'll call 911 while on my way to the fire extinguisher.

[edit:  while you don't get much option in the bush, bear spray practice is another downwind activity!]

1 hour ago, Belle City WW said:
This is by no means Fine Woodworking, but I think the Young Man that is Battling Leukemia will be happy with it.  The project was made from some donated lumber and shop scraps, so I had some contrasts that were unavoidable so I tried to take advantage of that with a slightly darker drawer front.  The pull was donated by my wife who works at Hobby Lobby.  Delivery to the Hospital in Minnesota tomorrow.
If you pray, PLEASE pray for Nathan!

Awesome project. I hope that Nathan pulls through.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We put a new roof on our chicken coop today.  The people who run the restaurant, that we ate lunch at today, had the biggest laugh over that.  They always ask us what we're working on, and said it was always interesting, but they thought it hilariously funny when I told them we were reroofing a chicken coop.  At least it was standing seam metal to match the house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ordered a new remote for my dust collector. I was having issues turning it on so I called Oneida they advised it was most likely an indication the receiver was going so I purchased a repair kit and should be good to go once installed. I have to say not only was this a great interaction, they were very helpful, but this is the first issue I have had with my 3hp Dust Gorilla since I installed it, which they advised was 2005 :) 

• Like 1

Almost a complete wasted day.  I decided to work on the grass part of our cove today, and we started by hand early this morning.  After about an hour and a half of that, I thought it would be better to go ahead, and rent a Bobcat with tracks.  Called my favorite rental place, and not only did they still have one sitting there,  but from my past prompting, they now had a 4-n-1 bucket also.

Got back with it after lunch, dumped the first bucket of dirt, and sprayed hydraulic fluid all over everything including me.  They had hooked up the hoses wrong, on the brand new bucket, and it pulled the ends off both hoses the first time I tilted the bucket down.  I figured out the problem, and called the guy that owns the place.  Long story short, I put the bucket on the trailer, carried it the 31 miles one way back, and sat around for about an hour, and a half while they had some new hoses made locally.  So all we did the rest of the day was bring the bucket back, put it back on the Bobcat, and we'll make a new start on it tomorrow.

Altogether, we had a couple of productive hours today.  It seems like I have worse luck working on our own stuff, than other peoples jobs.  

• Sad 1

On 8/24/2019 at 10:56 PM, K Cooper said:

My wife and I visited some friends in Lakeway, TX, outside of Austin, yesterday and today and I must say, I was less than impressed.

Here was one of his neighbors, cleaning the garage out for a casual party. And the critters were everywhere.

FC1E7678-5F35-4B96-BF6A-986DAE3DF6BA.thumb.jpeg.9d4172a7e395e4e40800bba74f722063.jpegD93ECE6D-160F-488F-9E7A-0B7FC51992EF.thumb.jpeg.0969afd39a8af79f5ade46503851f729.jpeg

Nice to be able to park your twin Cessna in the driveway.