What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

31 minutes ago, Mick S said:

Vacuumed ~150 gallons of water out of my shop after an afternoon downpour. Got.To.Fix.The.French.Drains. 

I'm too old for that kind of work. 

Wine helps. 

I hope you didn’t loose anything except time? 

• Like 1

Nothing unusual today. 

Laid some more bricks, and stones on the 1798 chimney.  Figured out a breakaway using soft, low fired bricks to hold the concrete back, but allow the chimney to be jacked independent of the foundation.  Have to leave that opening between the bricks on top of the stone for the concrete truck chute, but I decided to close it up some from what I did yesterday.

Burned an abandoned (for this year) Osprey nest off the top of a 43 foot tall 1828 chimney, while we were waiting for go from insurance company.

Started reassembling the porch on a spec house I built in 1991 that had taken a direct hit by a small tornado last week.  Made series of different length T-posts, 2x4 guides, aluminum floor jack, and leap frogged the t-posts on the jack with 10" of lift, and sawhorses.  First picture of setup taken at 1:21, and first beam in place at 1:40.  Posts were up soon after.  Still have to do a bunch of jacking, clamping, and tapping to get everything exactly back in place, but roof now supported like it should be.

Cut grass until dark at home-2 acre field expecting visitors with RV's this weekend, and the head of our cove-too dark to take pictures.

Here are some pictures from earlier today.  Still waiting for some to come in, but I'm going to take a shower.

IMG_1844.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1858.JPG

• Like 2

I cleaned out my DC filter.  Chestnut was sending me psychic guilt waves so I finally had to do it :).   What an unholy mess, I can't wait to have to do it again. 

And there's no truly effective method that I found.  Once the barrel was dismounted, and just for the sake of arguement, I tried compressed air from outside to in.  At a distance of 2 inches and 40 psi a little puff of sawdust came off the inner surface.  This was the least effective method I tried.

Once outside I stood the barrel up and gave the sides a brisk open palm tap and this dislodged a lot of dust, but nothing like all of it.  I think you'd have to treat this like a log drum--one you didn't want to use again.

Then I went for the leaf blower and blew out the inside.  Dust storm, but still plenty of dust deep in the filter pleats.  

So i tried vacuuming the pleats with the brush tool, but this only worked where the brush bristles would reach which was at most half way down the pleats.  

I tried a soft brush on the pleats, but with no better results 

Tried the leaf blower on the outside blowing in.  Not very effective.

Next I tried rubbing the pleats with my hand mimicking those flappers you see on some machines.  This yielded a lot of dust from the crevices, but it still seemed an endless supply.  Maybe combine this with the leaf blower some how.

• Like 1

I spent most of the day working on replacing the flush valve in our master bath toilet, then starting to paint said bathroom before the tank is mounted to get the wall behind it painted. I got about half the bathroom painted before I ran out of steam. Dont help that my bad knee is misbehaving miserably making it hard to walk. At least the toilet flushes properly now.