What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 7/9/2019 at 9:02 AM, JohnG said:

Also picked up a new router. Got the Bosch 1617 fixed/plunge kit and edge guide. I plan to mount the fixed base on my router table insert and use the plunge base for handheld operations. The old Craftsman router I was using in the table is on its last leg. Each time I use it I think it will be the last. 

That’s a great router. Mine is under the router table most of the time and the plunge base is a great idea. I never got the plunge base as my little DeWalt has both which seems to work. But I’d rather have the whole setup. :) 

Went to the Calgary Stampede again last night, 4th time this year, 2 more to go. I'm gonna feel like death before this week is over. The main reason I go is for the free concerts at the outdoor Coca Cola Stage. The lineup covers a wide range of acts, but leans toward the alt rock end. Last night the headliner was Mother Mother, a very popular Canadian alt rock band. If you haven't heard of them, do yourselves a favor & have a listen. I spoke with one of the security guys & they figured there was over 10,000 there. This is at a venue that normally has maybe a couple of thousand at a shoe.

This is the 4th concert by this band I've been to & they just keep getting better with each album & concert.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Looks great! Curious how big is the ring and where did you pick that up? Did you glue the blocks to each other? If yes, with what?

PS great looking yard :) 

28" inside. Yes i glued the blocks, there is a special fire pit glue that can handle the temps i guess. There is a larger option but i wanted to keep the ring small. I know what happens when you give me a 60" diameter ring. My fires end up having flames around 15' tall and you have to stand 25 feet back.

Thanks

More details can be had at the link below.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/fire-pits-outdoor-heating/albany-fire-pit-project-material-list-10-1-2-x-2-4-x-3-10/1989231/p-1444422288465.htm

Click add to cart and it adds the material list. If you decide to get this one save your self $7 and get 2 tubes of glue. I only used 1 1/2 of a tube while applying it fairly liberally. Total cost was $175 after i bought some sand. I'm going to fill the inside with rock to bring the fire closer to the surface. If I were to leave it low I'd remove some of the smaller blocks on the bottom row and wouldn't have suck it so far in the ground to provide a bit of airflow.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Made a block fire pit start to finish.

DSC_3661-01.thumb.jpeg.512a16037cb86a7edf36302725e795fe.jpeg

DSC_3663-01.thumb.jpeg.8066d136ea7eb52a147e4113e7859dca.jpeg

DSC_3665-01.thumb.jpeg.852c4816b6efbda84bcbe2078169ecf7.jpeg

DSC_3666-01.thumb.jpeg.e121fbda33bb139aed02dbe0cb057b5d.jpeg

DSC_3667-01.thumb.jpeg.c9b304cdfbaf72456f28fc5ba52eb4c6.jpeg

It was nice doing a project start to finish in 1 night.

That looks nice.   That must have been easy, as you didn't even finish your iced tea... :)

We just buy portable metal ones as we don't burn that much and then we can move it so I don't have to trim grass around it.   After the first one burned a hole in the bottom I read the instructions that said to put sand in the bottom.

Instructions said put an inch or so of sand, you'll probably need 2 bags.   So while I was at the store I bought 2 bags of sand.   Got home, put sand in the bottom and apparently they think bags of sand  come in 10 lb bags because I didn't even use half of one bag.  So the remaining sand got spread in the garden. :)

8 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

That must have been easy, as you didn't even finish your iced tea...

It was hot out so I refilled a couple times. It was a mistake as the caffeine kept me up far too late.

9 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

We just buy portable metal ones as we don't burn that much and then we can move it so I don't have to trim grass around it.   After the first one burned a hole in the bottom I read the instructions that said to put sand in the bottom

I bought one of those earlier and they are kinda nice but they scorch the grass under them and then I'd just have a bunch of brown spots so..... an in ground one it is. I have a hard enough time keeping my grass nice i didn't want to start a battle with that. It takes all of 3 seconds to trim around something this small  :mellow: i guess it might take longer for those silly anemic electric trimmers:P:ph34r:.

I'm going to use the lid and maybe the cage from the portable unit i bought so it won't all be wasted. I didn't really have a good place to store it so i was dragging it 200 feet from where i stored it to where i wanted to use it, that got old fast. Because they tend to look kinda trashy after they start to rust out I was storing it behind my shed.

2 hours ago, ..Kev said:

Never seems to be enough parking for fiends and family..  Hoping those days are over for us!

We have a lot of puppy buyers to come from cities.  There is a Lot of parking space here.  We could park several semi trucks, and still leave room for landing a helicopter.  There are no marked parking spaces here.  I'd say about half the time these visitors come, they will manage to park blocking the whole place up, so no one else can get through coming in the driveway.

• Like 1