What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

I had the misfortune errr pleasure to change the points and rotor on the 1950 ford 228 flathead. It was situated in the front of the Custom Delux in such a way that you could get about a 1/16th of a turn on a wrench in any direction. It was a great test of patients. 3 on the tree, such an interesting idea.

Man those engines have a pretty decent stroke. Guess that's where the pretty good torque numbers for the era come from. 180 ft-lbs is pretty respectable.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I had the misfortune errr pleasure to change the points and rotor on the 1950 ford 228 flathead

it's great to see someone so young that speaks flathead, most guys under 60 wouldn't know what one was sad to say, this guy also has a '32 3 window, a '31 roadster and a full body (with fenders) '32 some are flatheads and one is a beefed up small block Chevy, its how i get my hot rod fix without having to own one again (married with children).

1 minute ago, treeslayer said:

it's great to see someone so young that speaks flathead, most guys under 60 wouldn't know what one was sad to say, this guy also has a '32 3 window, a '31 roadster and a full body (with fenders) '32 some are flatheads and one is a beefed up small block Chevy, its how i get my hot rod fix without having to own one again (married with children).

I don't know much about the new stuff your talking about. Most of my knowledge ends in 1927....

I helped my neighbor restore and maintain his show cars he had a '24 T 27' T and an A can't remember the year and a couple other Ts Also had the '50 but that wasn't part of his show collection.

Passive solar is great when done right. Friend of mine had a passive solar house overlooking a beautiful ~30 acre plot. I remember the first time I visited his house was on a bitterly cold but sunny winter day, and they had a couple windows cracked to keep the temperature just right. I also went there in the mid summer heat and humidity, and it was just as comfortable. No heat, AC, or fans running any time I was there. 

• 2 weeks later...

That ferarri is very out of place.

6 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

they don’t build cars like that anymore 

I was thinking the same thing but then i realized that i quite like today's cars. They aren't worn out after 50,000 miles they get better gas mileage and are far safer to drive .... but they sure are soulless....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

That ferarri is very out of place.

Its a 1 of 10 something or other that makes it "special".  I am not a fan of Ferrari so I wasn't really understanding what it was all about.

35 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

i agree, there is something about getting your hands dirty and working on a car that is lost today, putting in a computer chip to make a car go fast turns my stomach, now where did i put my '70 Chevelle and my '68 Camaro and my '64 Impala?

The scrap yard because they wore out? .... Wish i could go back in time and tell you to park them in a shed untill today...

Ok Chet next time you get invited I think I need to come out and oh I don't know see your shop or something LOL that is awesome! I don't have the kind of money it takes to support that kind of addiction but if I did I would have a huge tricked out pole barn full of them :) 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Our club organizes tool sales for estates and this was a reach out to the club from a widow in the area.

It's unfortuneate to hear that the woodworking community lost a member. Hope you can do him well with it. Awesome deal (on the saw).

3 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Didn’t do it today but I bought a lathe. Small one, Rikon 70-1218VS. I know, it’s a dark path I’ve started down....

I have a good friend that owns a lathe for the few times I’ve needed one. Every time he opens a drawer that has a knife or lathe tool in it, I quietly thank myself for all of the beer and cigar money I’ve saved. 

• Like 1