What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 hour ago, Mick S said:

This morning I helped my buddy Carl assemble his new Laguna 1836 lathe. 

IMG_0104.thumb.jpeg.612ad3935772f546723629fd75edc85e.jpeg

IMG_0106.jpeg.8fc2de3151fe7ecb17dcdac7190dec2a.jpeg

While we were assembling it he asked me what he should get next.

That is one nice lathe! You'll have to let us know how he likes it. 

BTW is that a woodshop or a doctors office the floor is spotless LOL

7 hours ago, Chet said:

So are you working off your wish list or his? ;)

Yes! 

6 hours ago, pkinneb said:

BTW is that a woodshop or a doctors office the floor is spotless LOL

6 hours ago, treeslayer said:

Carl has one great shop there but i agree with @pkinneb, way too clean. and another reason i don't show my shop, organized but always a layer of dust on almost everything:o

He does have a great shop, indeed. The cleanliness you see is the result of a new machine being delivered, AND he lets one of my students use part of his shop for her wooden accessories business. She's the neat freak. She gave him a 3 hour consultation with a professional organizer (think feng shui meets 5S for the shop) for Christmas. I've watched Carl stand on a foot-high pile of scrap wood while pushing parts through his slider. He was out of town while I was setting up his CNC router. I needed a 1/8" drill bit. Took me over an hour to find one. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Immortan D said:

Got myself a new bench grinder :D

Any recommendations for a tool rest? Is the Veritas one good enough? The grinder is an 8 incher.

I prefer the Oneway wolverine I had the Veritas previously. I find the Oneway does fine on everything and is much better for lathe tools if you don’t do turning tools you will most likely be happy with either

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Flew to Dallas for business...while on the plane I was perusing the inflight magazine and saw this...anyone else see a problem here? Lol

Apparently you swim the last 8 miles :o

I’m not sure what the glide ratio is for the 777-200, but I’ll bet it could easily glide those last 8mi after it runs out of fuel. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Immortan D said:

Got myself a new bench grinder :D

1868099216_2019-04-0217_43_20.thumb.jpg.fc4f68e97d874e7955896a08db7aef7f.jpg

Any recommendations for a tool rest? Is the Veritas one good enough? The grinder is an 8 incher.

I think it depends a lot on what you're going to sharpen.  I agree with pkinneb on the Wolverine. If you are working with lathe tools this is the most popular system. But if your prime goal is carving tools, and you want jigs, then the Tormek stuff (which can also mount to a grinder) might be where to go.  Lot more expensive, though.

• Like 1

Water softener went bad. Something in the mechanics just stopped working so i decided it was time to replace the 25 year old unit anyway. It's a kenmore so i was becoming doubtful on obtaining parts for it. This means i get to sweat some pipe. I get an odd enjoyment out of it for some reason. I don't do it that often so i'm always worried that things didn't turn out right but i got solder all the way through both on the bushing and the threaded fitting so i should be good.

235467564534232.jpg

645321234.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good, but the drops of water worry me. 

The old timer's trick is to push white bread up in the pipe to hold back any drops of water while soldering.   I have done that, but ended up stopping up the strainers on the back of my Aunt's washing machine once, after doing her a favor.

Now I have something similar to this, but don't think it's this particular one.  https://www.plumbingsupply.com/waterstopperforsoldering.html

I switched out all the copper pipe in our house to CPVC.  Got my plumbers license in 1975, and all that was used around here was copper until maybe the late 1980's.

Thanks! There’s more where it came from. Probably another 20bf 8/4 walnut, at least another 30bf 4/4 walnut, and more pine and oak. These are all from trees on my dad’s property. He had the pine and walnut milled in hopes of having a specific furniture maker build something from it. Not surprisingly, the guy didn’t want to run questionably material through his machines. I will have access to the rest of it, and will likely be moving to the general area in 1.5-2 years. 

• 2 weeks later...