What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 2/11/2019 at 5:45 PM, treeslayer said:

I’ve been wanting to try string inlay for a while, if you would please post what you learn along the journey

I will, Tree, I'm building a reloading bench right now where I plan to give it a shot. I bought a set of blades but haven't made any holders yet, nor have I made a string trimmer but it's all up here *taps brain* so one day it'll be in wood :) 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 4:44 PM, DerekMPBS said:

We don't usually get a lot of snow at once, but yesterday was one day I wish I had a snow blower.  We got 12" on Sunday/Sunday night, and the wind pushed it up to 2 feet deep in my driveway.  I spent the morning shoveling, helping my wife get her car out of the driveway, and helping my roommate get his car out.  It wasn't much fun.

We were predicted to get another 3-7" last night, but it didn't happen, fortunately.  Now it is supposed to snow for the next 3 days.

At least it is in the 20's and low 30's.

Just a little South of you, in McCall, and we're getting half a foot to a foot and a half each day (my house is next to a hill, and we get more in our driveway than the ski area reports!)

The highway dept has closed Rt 55 twice in the last three days.  But the skiing has been good.

[Edit:  Honda 28 inch two stage snow thrower with tracks.  I have a wide drive way and this guy can throw snow all the way across it.]

On 2/10/2019 at 4:28 PM, Farback said:

Yeah, two wood burning appliances, we took five full buckets of creosote out after controlling the fire and chaining the slag off the chimney. They were burning paper for some reason. That will stay aflame as it goes high and ignite creosote high up where the chimney cools and it condenses out. We often get these on Christmas day when people burn wrapping paper. Windy and cold here today. Tough on the roof guys. I drive the big red trucks, so not as demanding.

That exact thing burned a house in our neighborhood on Christmas day 2017.  It happened to be bitter cold, impeding the water hose and and the whole house burned down.

17 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

Just a little South of you, in McCall, and we're getting half a foot to a foot and a half each day (my house is next to a hill, and we get more in our driveway than the ski area reports!)

The highway dept has closed Rt 55 twice in the last three days.  But the skiing has been good.

[Edit:  Honda 28 inch two stage snow thrower with tracks.  I have a wide drive way and this guy can throw snow all the way across it.]

That's a big snow blower.

We got a one day reprieve and then another 6 inches.  Fortunately, my neighbor took pity on me and cleared the lower half of my driveway with the blade on his 4-wheeler.  My wife made treats for him and his wife as a thank-you.

It's raining today, which really makes a mess.  Now it is predicted to cool off and snow every day for the next week.  Bleh.

At my store last week, the crew was complaining about having to haul all the unused snow blowers off the showroom floor and up into storage for the season.  Now we don't have a single one left.  And all our suppliers are out of ice melt as well.

Saw this meme the other day:

US Weather Service:     You can't have an entire winter's worth of snow in one week.

State of Washington:   Here, hold my beer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DerekMPBS said:

Saw this meme the other day:

US Weather Service:     You can't have an entire winter's worth of snow in one week.

State of Washington:   Here, hold my beer.

We've had 18" up here in Spokaloo just in February, which is some sort of record. And it's snowing again as I type, when they predicted rain today. Go figure. 

20 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Well, today I got fired. 

Finally. 

I mean I retired over a year ago.   I said I would stay on part time till they got organized.  Well I figured that would be a couple of three months, but they've been calling on me pretty steady. 

I had a phone call with the guys managing the show.  They think they have their staffing sorted out now, so I guess I'm officially, finally, really retired. 

That calls for a :), ...at least I think it does.

Welcome to the club Mark, woodworking all the time:D

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Well, today I got fired. 

Finally. 

I mean I retired over a year ago.   I said I would stay on part time till they got organized.  Well I figured that would be a couple of three months, but they've been calling on me pretty steady. 

I had a phone call with the guys managing the show.  They think they have their staffing sorted out now, so I guess I'm officially, finally, really retired. 

Congrats Bud! I did the same thing 37 months ago and am still working three days a week. 1/1/19 I gave my 6 months notice. On July 1st., I will be working at home under my wife’s command. It may be a short lived retirement. 

44 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Well, today I got fired. 

Finally. 

I'll toss one down for your retirement.  Boo barked when he heard it.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, treeslayer said:

Best advice I ever got when I retired was do what I want all day long just be busy when the wife gets home, she was still working when I retired. 

Good advice for any time of life. :)

My wife is in the legal business and is a decade younger than me, but I have another 10 years or so before I retire and become a full time woodworker. And gofer for her business :) 

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Well, today I got fired. 

Finally. 

Congrats! I lasted 8 months then found a couple part time gigs to keep me occupied. Busier than I’d like sometimes, but the extra income keeps Lee Valley solvent.

• Like 2