What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

I buy tomato plants early and transplant them into styrofoam cups until I’m relatively certain of no more frost. During this transition period, I keep the plants in a tray to move them indoors if necessary. I received my new FWW mag yesterday and it got the inspirations flowing! Today, I built a new, FDA approved tomato plant holding tray to replace this,

4549572E-64E4-4808-A4FE-A5CCB3A17FB3.thumb.jpeg.3287f5e3e3e648f4e160b76f942514fd.jpeg

with this 

E9F02E1F-FBAE-481C-9F2B-14B1F0CF0DBE.thumb.jpeg.83c210c7a32fffe72471903d36f3ecea.jpeg

Slow day at n the shop obviously! 

That's the sort of woodworking I can aspire to.  Nice.

But I didn't know you got frost in Houston, except maybe on beer mugs.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

Well, today I got fired. 

Finally. 

I mean I retired over a year ago.   I said I would stay on part time till they got organized.  Well I figured that would be a couple of three months, but they've been calling on me pretty steady. 

I had a phone call with the guys managing the show.  They think they have their staffing sorted out now, so I guess I'm officially, finally, really retired. 

That calls for a :), ...at least I think it does.

Hey Mark, theoretically I'm 2 years from that, but I just can't visualize it. I don't even want to think of it. It seems like another universe. But I envy you. Congratulations.

I was really excited to retire, then I ended up "filling in" the very next day.  I worked maybe 1/3 - 1/2 time all last year.  It was nice to be needed, but nice to be able to say "no I'm busy that day, but I could do Tuesday".  It was like having your cake and eating it too.  

I'll miss it some, but I sure wouldn't want my phone to ring with some "offer".  

49 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I was really excited to retire, then I ended up "filling in" the very next day.  I worked maybe 1/3 - 1/2 time all last year.  It was nice to be needed, but nice to be able to say "no I'm busy that day, but I could do Tuesday".  It was like having your cake and eating it too.  

I'll miss it some, but I sure wouldn't want my phone to ring with some "offer".  

It’s important to have a reason to get up in the morning, and to feel you are still contributing. I was lucky to have a parallel volunteer career as a firefighter. I elected to retire from full time emplyment at 60, two years after a heart attack while serviing as fire chief and still working fulltime as a director of facilities for a 200 bed rehab facility. I decided I would not die behind either desk.

I was fit when I had the heart attack; I’d done two 5K runs that week, walked 7 miles in snow bow hunting, and led a large fire attack, so was not in bad shape. I had little to change, but worked hard the past five years, and have put it all behind me. I’m fit, and below my high school weight.

I’m still an active firefighter at 62. I drive all the big rigs, and occasionally get down and dirty at fire attacks, medical calls and accidents. Fun to see the kids expressions when they see an old dog with teeth. My other occasional job is as a role player for a company that provides this service for the Canadian Military. Our team plays partisans, refugees and bad guy forces for leadership training courses at a nearby military base. Great fun. All weather, all hours, gun fire, flares, artillery simulations, etc.

Stay active and engaged, never grow old.

Kirk 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mark J said:

Well, today I got fired. 

Finally. 

I mean I retired over a year ago.   I said I would stay on part time till they got organized.  Well I figured that would be a couple of three months, but they've been calling on me pretty steady. 

I had a phone call with the guys managing the show.  They think they have their staffing sorted out now, so I guess I'm officially, finally, really retired. 

That calls for a :), ...at least I think it does.

Now it is all wood all the time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, K Cooper said:

First off, beautifully done chair Mick! Next, apparently there’s not going to be an Amana show this year and I’m getting stir crazy and have some SW Airlines credits I need to use. What’s this workshop you speak of? Is it open to the public? 

Thanks, Ken! We'd love to have you! The workshop is open to the public (Saturday's seminar is $25) but we have to limit it to 25 people, or so. If you're interested I'll add you to the list. I'd offer to put you up, but Darrell and his wife will be staying with us. Here's a preliminary flyer for the event.

668268337_DPflyer.thumb.jpg.9d264534b73f9a077bcfd55fadd085e5.jpg

On 2/16/2019 at 8:03 AM, Mark J said:

Before you retire you need a plan.  And I don't just mean a financial plan.  You need that, but you need a plan for who you're going to be, and what you're going to do

I couldn't agree more. My wife's two uncles retired and are bored/depressed. It's really sparked us talking about what we're going to do in 30+ years when we get to retire. I get antsy being home with nothing to do for a weekend so I will have to make sure I stay busy.

This retirement subject reminds me of a question I love asking people. It's a difficult question, for most it takes a long time to answer if they can even answer it at all. I usually ask the question like this:

So we have all thought about what we would do if we won the lottery or a rich relative dies and you now have more money than you know what to do with. The question is NOT what would you do once you had your hands on that money, that pretty much gets answered the same way by everyone. (Car we always wanted. House on the beach/mountain/lake. Take care of our parents/siblings/kids. Travel, travel, travel.) The question is, what are you doing with yourself 10 years later? When you have more cars than you can drive. Fancy houses no longer excite you. Your family is taken care of, you want to spend time with them (and you have) but they have a life to live and you don't want to wear out your welcome. The thought of another long flight makes you cringe and remembering the last time you went through customs gets raises your blood pressure. 

You have 16 hours a day to kill, every day, for years and years. What would you be doing with yourself?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Retired at 52, 66 now. My daughter asked me if I ever get bored, my answer was I have never been bored a day in my whole life. Hunt, hike, fish, travel, woodwork, too much to list. Even with all the money in the world what I would want is TIME, more time to enjoy my family, friends and all the things I love to do. 

You are a lucky man, and I completely agree. I wish I'd retired earlier. I'm living the dream now, working at part time jobs I enjoy, and enjoying time with kids and grandkids.

• Like 2