Stickley Console Table

12 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Beautiful piece, and that finish is wonderful. I'm going to try and remember that i have a fair amount of QS oak on my rack still that i need to find a use for.

Thanks! I've been hoarding select pieces for a while. I just finished a coffee table that matches this and will post soon. My pile is depleting fast.

12 hours ago, Alan G said:

I always love Stickley pieces. This is no exception. Great job...love the QSWO and the finish.

Thanks! I'd love to build one of everything in their catalog if I had the time, and money of course!

12 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Very well done.

Thanks Coop. Hope the humidity isn't too bad in Houston yet. I grew up there.

11 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Some of the grain patterns look like they escaped from a kaleidoscope. Sign & date those pieces !

I was fortunate to had pick these pieces, just wish I had access to more!

11 hours ago, woodbutcher said:

Incredible piece. That finish looks really nice, ill have to look that up. I love that clock. One like that might make it onto my project list soon. 

Thanks! I wish I knew who to issue credit to on the clock, its something I've found online. I've built a couple for gifts too. 

3 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Really nice piece there!

Thanks! I'll upload the matching coffee table soon.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Evans_Woodcrafts said:

Jeff Jewitt's mission oak finish technique.

I have used his techniques and they are spot on if you follow it step for step.  I used one recipe twice,  the second time was almost out of curiosity to see if his would create a consistent result.  I am sold on his steps.  He has pdf's on his site explaining everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome piece. I'm working on a Mission nightstand right now and the Jewitt finishing schedules seem to be incredible... I'm not yet sure which color I'll be going for, but it'll be one of his recipes.

When did you do the glue-up in relation to the finishing? Did you pre-finish any of the pieces? I'm always nervous with stains/dyes, about my inability to get consistent color application when I'm working on something that's already glued up- I'm trying to figure out how much of my nightstand I can finish before doing the glue-up. If I could do the dye & stain processes, then glue-up, then all I have to do afterward is apply ARS... that might make life MUCH easier.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 10:14 AM, Kurt Triebe said:

Awesome piece. I'm working on a Mission nightstand right now and the Jewitt finishing schedules seem to be incredible... I'm not yet sure which color I'll be going for, but it'll be one of his recipes.

When did you do the glue-up in relation to the finishing? Did you pre-finish any of the pieces? I'm always nervous with stains/dyes, about my inability to get consistent color application when I'm working on something that's already glued up- I'm trying to figure out how much of my nightstand I can finish before doing the glue-up. If I could do the dye & stain processes, then glue-up, then all I have to do afterward is apply ARS... that might make life MUCH easier.

Thanks Kurt, I'm enjoying your build as well. The only pre-finishing I did was pre-raised the grain and sanded to 180 before gluing anything, the top and drawer fronts were finished pre-assembly too. I think your plan is spot on, I  would do exactly as you mentioned. 

• 3 years later...

Hi, could you tell me what TransTint dye you used. I followed Jewitt's directions for this Limbert chair that I restored. It is redder that I wanted. Also, I used Waterlox instead of the General Finishes Arm R Seal he recommended.

Thanks,

And Great job by the way,

Kevinartman

IMG_20210625_101036881_HDR.jpg

@Kevinartman, the original poster, @Evans_Woodcrafts, has not logged in since 2019, so you may not get a direct reply. Feel free to open a new thread discussion to get input from more members.

@Kevinartman, the original poster, @Evans_Woodcrafts, has not logged in since 2019, so you may not get a direct reply. Feel free to open a new thread discussion to get input from more members.

On 6/28/2021 at 8:52 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Thanks, upon further review of the post, I realized that the original post had the information I needed.

Sincerely, 

Kevinartman