Wife's card hacked

Tom King

Ugh!!  Sorry to hear you're going through that.  In my experience, card issuers are pretty good once you alert them to the fraud (at least my credit companies).  I saw a video clip of a person installing a 'skimming' machine onto the card reader at a convenience store, and I was just blown away by how fast and innocuous it was.  Then they go back days later to collect the skimmer and get all the info.

Was her card a debit card or a credit card?

6-7 years ago a bunch of charges in Miami showed up on my card.  Bank said the charges I did make during the same timeframe made it impossible for me to be running a bar tab in Miami and they removed the charges & had me a new card in about 36 hours.

Boost Mobile is a cellphone provider. They might have paid a bill or bought a phone.

It really hasn't been that big of a deal for us yet.  I just happened to be walking through the office when she was looking at the statement, and she asked me if I knew what those charges were.  I looked, and pointed out that they were on her card, and not mine.  If I hadn't been walking through then, she might have easily just passed it off as something that I bought.

Her account was pinged for the ten bucks on Nov. 6, and the last charge was Nov.21.   The places she called said they were reversing the charges, and our bank said they'd take care of it.  They cancelled that card, gave Pam a temporary card, and are sending another card with different numbers.

I thought it was funny that they paid their electric bill with it.   I told Pam maybe they had their current turned off, and went to spend a night in a hotel.  Should show up on the dumb crook news if anyone bothers to follow up on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Tom King said:

The places she called said they were reversing the charges, and our bank said they'd take care of it.  They cancelled that card, gave Pam a temporary card, and are sending another card with different numbers.

A similar thing happened to my wife a number of years ago, they made a couple small purchases to verify it went through, then spent a couple hundred in some online games. 

I didn’t even bother contacting the places to get them to reverse the charges, that’s the bank/credit card company’s job. Just notified the bank and they went through the charges to verify which ones weren’t my wife, took the bogus charges off her account and issued a new card. If the bank wants you to do the legwork, it’s time to switch banks.

I only use cash when absolutely necessary, credit cards these days offer far better purchase protection and you can get cash back. Win win in my book. 

Pam just called the numbers listed on the line items on the statement to see where they were.  All were in NY, or NJ.  We hadn't been North of Virginia last month.

The lady she talked to first was the hotel manager.  She offered right away to reverse the charges.  Then she called the second number, and it was some electric company on Long Island who said the charge must have been to pay an electric bill.  

At first, we thought they might have been some online purchases that we'd forgotten about.  After looking carefully though the statement, the other small charges were found.  After talking to those places, Pam called the bank, and they did take it from there.

7 minutes ago, Tom King said:

After talking to those places, Pam called the bank, and they did take it from there.

Unfortunately that is probably all your going to be able to do.  Just before I retired in 2016, the county prosecutor upped their prosecutorial threshold from 10k to 15k.  Meaning the loss had to be greater than 15k before they would even think about prosecuting the Aholes.  In Seattle we (the police), would politely take a report and that would be last you heard from us, regardless of suspect information.  The problem is so widespread that there is no consequences for the crime.  

• Like 1

A couple of months ago I noticed charges on my statement that I didn't recognize. Called Visa & the rep went right to work. In a period of 4 or 5 days there were over $32,000 in fraudulent charges. The rep said it was his largest fraud of the week. I had to get a new card, which was a bit of a pain, but Visa immediately reversed all the charges & made the whole thing as painless as it could be.

They would have caught on sooner, but I semi-regularly make international (Canada & US) purchases of several thousand dollars so there was no real change in my patterns.

No idea where the perps got my card info from.

Having had my credit cards compromised more than one time I have come to the conclusion that the credit card companies just consider fraud a cost of doing business.  I doubt they will even get this perp's address from the electric company.  In fact if the perp walked into their office and confessed to stealing the card I don't think they would do more then change the number and send the cardholder a new one.

I'm sure the amount has to be pretty high before the credit card company would even consider taking action. If there was a large enough amount from a single merchant, the CC company would likely go after the merchant for reimbursement, then it would be up to the merchant to go after the individual.

For a few hundred or even a few thousand the bank would likely end up spending far more in researching and taking action than just eating the cost.

Just now, Tpt life said:

It takes open communication or separate accounts. My wife and I combine and communicate. Don used to keep separate accounts and sit down monthly with his wife and split the bills. The thing fraudsters count on is combined accounts with lack of communication. 

This. Or the large number of people that never even bother to look at their statements or activity and just pay whatever they are told.

24 minutes ago, drzaius said:

I don't know just how the merchant is affected by these.

That's a good question.  As I understood it, the move to chip-verification (versus swiping) was being pushed as the merchants were more likely to be held liable if it was a swipe.  Just the CC company way of forcing the changeover.  Since then though it'd be interesting to know how that typically unfolds even if it was a chip transaction.