How is Covid19 affecting you?

TerryMcK

7 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

A friend from work is old enough to count for the 'senior hour' stores here are observing. This lets the older folks have the store for the first hour after opening to limit exposure. Of course, that also gives them first pick at the newly-stocked TP. My friend was accosted as he walked to his car with a 24-pack of Charmin. The guy wanted to buy the TP. Friend refused, and told him to get in line with everyone else. Guy threatened to just take it until he discovered my friend was packing. Then he suddenly lost interest in TP.

If this keeps up much longer, there will be a showdown in some Dollar General parking lot.

And it'll spread to the whole population.

• Like 1

Young people continuing to gather - 'we won't get it because we're young and strong' - also causes spreading.  They may get it and recover but they'll pass it on to their parents and grandparents, many of which will not survive the virus.

Our governor, John Bel Edwards, actually said something smart for a change - "Everyone needs to act as though they already have the virus."

David

I went to the walmart grocery at 6 AM this morning to avoid the crowds.  Wrong! The place was crowded, and what really blew my mind was at the TP isle. There were 15 or more carts of people taking as much off the shelves as fast as they were stocking them.  Weird!  People ar getting stranger daily, and I think that down the line there will be some serious problems in the relationships between people, that may lead to hostility.  What a damn shame.

I refer to my previous comment regarding people.

My estimate is that my wife and I go through a roll of our usual brand of TP in 4 or 5 days.  So I expect a 4 pack lasts at least two and maybe three weeks.

I think one of the many failings of government (local, state and federal) and the news media during this has been their failure to control the panic buying.  A simple public statement on how much TP, bananas or whatever that a household needs would go a long way.  

I try to just check the news to see what states are closing. Seems like there's crazies out from all sides.

Virginia has shut down their schools until the end of the academic year. No word from the counties what's going to happen, ours may do online learning. My kids are in daycare but that's shut down from last Tuesday until at least Friday. I expect an update of another week or two. My wife and I are working from home with a 2.5 year old and a 5 year old. Challenging is an understatement. The kids like to follow me wife around so she's having a much harder time.

I had to go out to Safeway yesterday to get more milk since the kids drink it too fast. Figured if I was there I might as well do all my shopping. Stocked up for another week. They were out of all paper products and the necessary cleaning supplies. Weird driving past the DC Metro (subway) at rush hour and there not being any cars.

Haven't seen my parents in 10 days. They're late 60's and I don't want them to get sick. I have to keep yelling at them to stay home. My mom is mad, she wants to see the grandkids but I won't let them until things calm down.

I'm so thankful we have a townhouse and aren't in a small apartment. Wish we had more room but at least we have 3 different floors to go between. Also so happy for the few hundred acre park by my house. Nice place to let the kids run through the woods.

• Like 2

Had to mail a letter so I decided I'd take the long way and drive past two nearby grocery stores.  Zero lines, a normal number of cars in the lot and shoppers I saw had a normal amount of groceries in their carts.  Obviously our grocery stores will not be in the news.

I'm in NE Ohio. We're under a "shelter in place" order.

https://www.wsaz.com/content/news/A-shelter-in-place-issued-for-Ohio-569040451.html

The order limits travel to essential activities, including visits to grocery stores, pharmacies, doctor offices, and gas stations.

The order does permit exceptions to staying home. Ohians will be able to leave home for health and safety, for necessary supplies and services, and for outdoor activity.

I work from home 80% of the time under normal circumstances. This situation has now curtailed my business trips to Seattle where my company is based. My company's employees are all working from home for the time being, which I find a little amusing as it's my day-to-day reality but to my colleagues it's a brand new world. Granted, it sounds incredibly difficult to juggle childcare while working from home.

My wife is pregnant with twin boys due mid-June. She's obviously not feeling perfectly comfortable at the moment, but she's doing an admirable job preparing for the boys' arrival nonetheless. What concerns me is the prospect that we may need to change her birth plan in the event that hospitals get inundated. A more likely scenario but one that is still undesirable is that we may not be able to rely on help from our friends or my mother in law immediately after the boys are born. My wife will be recovering from a c-section, and without her mom's help etc. I will be taking care of two tiny infants and a recovering wife for weeks on my own. Luckily my company will give me a generous amount of paid parental leave so I won't need to stress as much about the financial end of things (aside from my wife leaving the workforce for a while at the end of her current contract prior to the boys' birth). My wife and I joke that we'll need to take notes of what life during this plague was like so we can tell the boys scary stories in the future. 

IMO, the only thing that may actually inundate the hospitals will be injuries sustained in the great TP riots of 2020.  The COVID-19 virus stats, although catching us a bit off-guard, is likely to be comparable to typical influenza infections within 2-3 weeks.

again, IMO. I am not a doctor, nor do I portray one on Youtube.

• Like 1

This evening we took the official advice and ordered some groceries for pick up at the store.  After negotiating the website we went to ring up the shopping cart.  The earliest pick up time we could get was Saturday at noon, 3 1/2 days from now.

• Like 1

It's the first time for us, and I'm betting that the demand for the service has grown exponentially.  In fact the authorites here advised using grocery delivery/pickup*.  But the companies couldn't have been expected to keep up with the surge in demand.  And as you point out only so many shoppers, whether actual or surrogate can fit down the isle.  

*I should mention that the delivery wait, for the local grocery, would have been 5 days, instead of 3 1/2 for pickup.  

Some grocery stores here are now recommending shopping in person if you're able, due to online ordering demand. All the stores I've been to seem to have very well thought out distancing & disinfecting procedures in place. I'll be going grocery shopping tomorrow morning at 7:00 AM with my wife & her new knee. She wants to get out of the house & her knee gets us into the store an hour early for seniors & disabled shopping.

3 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I still can't understand why the threat of COVID-19 makes so many people think they need to eat 3 times as much as normal.

An poop 6 times as much, apparently.

Another reason to refer to the previous post about people in large groups, I suppose.

There are five of us that normally spend all day at school. We don’t get school lunch, so no need for more food. But consider people who eat out regularly but now anticipate staying home. Consider how paper usage might increase as we potty at home more, clean more meal messes up, etc. It makes sense to me...up to a point. I am NOT saying that many did not get carried away. 

• Like 1