How is Covid19 affecting you?

TerryMcK

Normally our 2 children eat breakfast and lunch at daycare and my wife and I get breakfast at work once a week. Now having them home all day means way more food, but not enough to hoard. If they didn't drink a gallon of milk every 2 days I could get by without going out for a couple weeks. 

Since the lockdown started Monday in the UK supermarket queues and buying to hoard has diminished in many areas. People are observing social distancing when waiting in line to get into the supermarkets and also observing the same when walking the aisles. There are plenty of supplies on the shelves now, TP no longer an issue but rice and pasta are in short supply. The supermarkets have taken on more staff to replenish the shelves and the restrictions on deliveries from suppliers during the night have been lifted.

We can go for walks, runs or short bike rides for exercise (the latter two I've not done since I was about 20!) and the people we have met on route have observed the 8 foot guideline.

There are still a few idiots you see on TV news reports who think the rules are for everybody else but them and many youngsters still couldn't be bothered. Until the police slap a fine on them that is!

I've just read that a quarter of the worlds population are under lockdown. That's nearly 2 billion people!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

I still can't understand why the threat of COVID-19 makes so many people think they need to eat 3 times as much as normal.

An poop 6 times as much, apparently.

Another reason to refer to the previous post about people in large groups, I suppose.

This makes for some interesting thoughts on TP. Warning foul language.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=520240945302867

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JohnG said:

Anyone that uses 20 sheets per ... should be forced to use only their hand for at least 3 months a year. 

I thought the same thing then i rolled out 20 sheets and it was not as much as i thought it would be. Still excessive .... well except for those one days. Everyone has that one day.

12 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I thought the same thing then i rolled out 20 sheets and it was not as much as i thought it would be. Still excessive .... well except for those one days. Everyone has that one day.

My stepdaughter is a bit of a hypochondriac so she uses a LOT of TP. I worry about her having enough in normal times. *shrug* She may have to find “alternate means.”

When we first moved to the Santa Fe area I asked a neighbor for a recommendation for someone to help with yard work. He obliged and the guy and his crew did indeed do nice work.

I noticed that he kept digging up this plant, which looked like the lamb's ear that are in a few of our flower beds and asked him why. He pointed out the differences to me side by side. He said this was an invasive weed. I asked him what it was and he said that he didn't know what it was really called, but that he'd always heard it called Indian toilet paper - very velvety. Before anyone starts hollering, he is a member of the San Felipe tribe about 20 miles from here.

IMG_1353.jpg.99d4b6b947de2e5abfd7deadbcdab760.jpg

• Like 1

I had to wait for 'Senior hour' to pass, so I could enter the local Walmart for a TP run this morning. Low and behold, even after nightly closings to re-stock, and only a handful of seniors shopping this today, the TP isle still had just a single 4-pack of Scott "RV" tissue, and a few more 4-packs of some generic stuff that looks so thin that it will probably disintegrate in a puff of dust when I open the package.  I mean, it doesn't even have a core tube. Single-use rolls, maybe???

"Alternative means" are getting closer to reality by the minute.   :o

Amazingly, NOTHING else in the entire store seemed to be low on supply.

• Haha 1

I just hope it's over soon, two of my kids have been deemed "essential " workers, one is a nurse and one is a distributor of wine for the major stores here in the midwest and handles hundreds sometimes thousands of cases of wine per week, her boss gave her a very nice bump in pay while this is going on. they both practice all of the safety precautions and more but as a father...well you guys know the worrying never stops.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I had to wait for 'Senior hour' to pass, so I could enter the local Walmart for a TP run this morning. Low and behold, even after nightly closings to re-stock, and only a handful of seniors shopping this today, the TP isle still had just a single 4-pack of Scott "RV" tissue, and a few more 4-packs of some generic stuff that looks so thin that it will probably disintegrate in a puff of dust when I open the package.  I mean, it doesn't even have a core tube. Single-use rolls, maybe???

"Alternative means" are getting closer to reality by the minute.   :o

Amazingly, NOTHING else in the entire store seemed to be low on supply.

I went to a Dollar General yesterday for some garbage bags.  Their TP shelves were full.  I didn't look close as I have enough for a couple of months, that I bought before all this corona stuff got started.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, drzaius said:

he would lean over, put a finger over one nostril and snort. Then repeat the other side.

Also bicycle riders so long as there is no one right next to you.

We are fnding it hard to find canadian bacon and whole wheet english muffins.  MN enters stay at home status tomorrow night.

8 hours ago, Mick S said:

When we first moved to the Santa Fe area I asked a neighbor for a recommendation for someone to help with yard work. He obliged and the guy and his crew did indeed do nice work.

I noticed that he kept digging up this plant, which looked like the lamb's ear that are in a few of our flower beds and asked him why. He pointed out the differences to me side by side. He said this was an invasive weed. I asked him what it was and he said that he didn't know what it was really called, but that he'd always heard it called Indian toilet paper - very velvety. Before anyone starts hollering, he is a member of the San Felipe tribe about 20 miles from here.

IMG_1353.jpg.99d4b6b947de2e5abfd7deadbcdab760.jpg

Looks like mullen, which is a weed we have a lot of in the northwest. I have, in fact, tested its wiping properties on camping trips in the past. Not super durable, so start out gently or be prepared to wash fingers. Then again, when camping in the woods, everything gets stinky and dirty :)

I'm on day 7 of a 14 day self isolation period. I have not gone farther than the end of my driveway in 7 days. At first I was really restless, but now I'm more accustomed. Not a tonne to do, and since I can't get supplies, I am working on some scrap wood projects in my spare time. I have been working from home for a while since this started, and also doing some "home schooling" with my daughter as the schools here are closed until at least Easter.

Friends have been dropping off food supplies to us, and we are in a "conservation" mindset to reduce our consumption. 

There have been a few "silver linings" I've notice in this disaster:

1) People don't actually need that much to get by. Sometimes "less is more"

2) Lots of quality family time, with evenings full of cards and board games

3) Massive reduction of pollution for many areas of the world

4) Being reminded not to take things for granted.

• Like 2