How is Covid19 affecting you?

TerryMcK

31 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Megan's best friend is a new dentist just graduated a year ago and now can't work but still has a lot in loans. It's being really tough on her.

I really feel for those young dentists, they are in a much tougher spot than I am. Hopefully your friend can get by with paying interest only for a while, I think that will be possible if not already possible.

5 minutes ago, Bmac said:

I really feel for those young dentists, they are in a much tougher spot than I am. Hopefully your friend can get by with paying interest only for a while, I think that will be possible if not already possible.

Even the interest is no small amount. There are a lot of other factors at play that are both making this more difficult but also helping. She doesn't have a rent payment so that's helpful but her salary supported 2 people and a dog... Dentistry is a pretty secure job it's crazy to think that they'd ever get forced to close...

45 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Megan's best friend is a new dentist just graduated a year ago and now can't work but still has a lot in loans. It's being really tough on her.

I thought I read on USAToday a few days back there were going to be plans put in place to give student loans some grace periods during this time.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

Even the interest is no small amount. There are a lot of other factors at play that are both making this more difficult but also helping. She doesn't have a rent payment so that's helpful but her salary supported 2 people and a dog... Dentistry is a pretty secure job it's crazy to think that they'd ever get forced to close...

Your right, a real secure and solid job, also a job that allows me to be my own boss and control my schedule. But we really are at a super high risk to catch this thing with the aerosols that our equipment produces. Imagine working in a cloud of suspended water, saliva, and blood. When I say that it sounds pretty gross actually. 

2 minutes ago, Chet said:

I thought I read on USAToday a few days back there were going to be plans put in place to give student loans some grace periods during this time.

A lot of that stuff is source dependent. The gov can give interest free student loans on gov loans but private loans are always up to the lender. They would have to specifically give the private banks a means to collect interest off of the gov and I'm not sure that'll happen. I get really weary when i read headlines like this because while I and you may read the whole article many people in my generation only read headlines and make decisions based off of that. IMO gov students loans should be interest free ... forget free tuition this alone would go a long way to help university costs in the country.

3 minutes ago, Bmac said:

Your right, a real secure and solid job, also a job that allows me to be my own boss and control my schedule. But we really are at a super high risk to catch this thing with the aerosols that our equipment produces. Imagine working in a cloud of suspended water, saliva, and blood. When I say that it sounds pretty gross actually. 

I think I'd rather have someone just spit in my face.... They all wear face shields and surgical masks which helps but isn't 100% I'd bet.

I do woodworking all day long every day in my home shop so I've been isolated for a few years. About the only time I get out is for supplies, groceries, and church. My wife works in downtown Shreveport in an office with about 20 people but she has her own private office and they are practicing good social distancing. She rarely sees clients but if one comes to the office they meet in the conference room with plenty of space between them.

This is the first Sunday in about 11 years that I haven't been to our church for our two morning services and have only missed a half dozen evening services so this is WAY out of the norm for us, to be home on a Sunday morning. However, gotta' love technology 'cause our Pastor was live on FB giving a Sunday School lesson (listening while I'm typing wink.png). I play in the band and we met Wednesday evening to record music for today. Our Associate Pastor brought a live message broadcast on FB at 10:30 and they used the music we recorded Wednesday to do our best to still present a good service.

Past that we aren't having kids or grandkids over and they're doing their best to stay home, as well. We keep over 30 homecooked meals in the freezer at all times and over the last few days we've added another 15-20 so we're good on food and we've got plenty of water and paper. I guess the only thing we'll have to replenish is fresh fruit and other produce.

There are a handful of cases here in NW Louisiana and we're just trying to be smart about all of this. Hoping and praying this goes away quickly but it looks like it's gotta' run its course first.

David

• Like 1

I was travelling internationally when all this started to go down. We were in Antigua, on holiday, and the day after we arrived in the Caribbean Canada banned all international travel. We looked at coming home early, but there were no flights to get. We stayed our full vacation, and returned to Canada a few days ago.

The resort and agent we used were excellent, and we extracted some fun and sun from our holiday. The regularly scheduled plane that arrived came down empty and shuttled us back to Canada. The people who "self booked" had a very hard time getting any information or support from their providers.

Currently my family is under 14 day self isolation due to international travel (even though the country we came from had zero cases). Our friends have been shopping for us, and we are starting to school our daughter as our public schools are closed. We are working from home for 2 weeks, and we have to wait and see what happens after that.

I only allow myself to watch the news once per day, to keep up on the situation, and listen to the daily update from our Prime Minister (who is doing an excellent job). I am avoiding all social media, as the negativity and misinformation is astounding.

All non-essential services are closed, and social distancing is in effect. We are close to declaring a national state of emergency, which is "the war time act" with a different name.

Stay strong, stay positive, and take care of your neighbors. That is what will get us through this.

Well, a lot can change in a short period of time; Louisiana has just been placed on lockdown by the Gov until Sunday night April 12.  It's a 'loose' lockdown because some, like my wife in financial services, grocery store workers, etc. can still go to work.  But many won't be able to do that.  For us it will be a regular schedule in that I stay home and work in the shop and Sandy goes to the office.  Many won't be so fortunate. 

And all of this could change again but as of now that's how it stands for us.

David

Here in rural Tennessee, especially in my county, the shelves are being emptied by those  50 and under. Those of us on Social Security, plan ahead every month, and purchase enough so we don't have to make several trips to buy stuff.  We're frugal, and some of us to the point of being anti-social, they won't even acknowledge a "Good Morning" when sent their way.  There are a few of us that are prepared to protect our property, and food.  The county south of us is known as the meth capital of middle Tennessee, and when folks stay at home, the bad guys are afraid to try and break into something to steal to buy their drugs, so we expect them to be heading to a county full of senior citizens, and that would be us.   If we're ordered to remain in our homes like some states are mandating, there may be serious trouble for some, like bullet holes.

• Like 1

We don't have it bad yet. Only two cases in the county and one in a neighboring county so far.

I'm still going to work hanging cabinets. Until the Gov. shuts down non-critical businesses I have to go in and risk my life to earn $100 per day, or go bankrupt. Ain't life grand?:D

Hang in there everyone. If you need something, ask a neighbor. They'll probably help you out.

I think you'll be surprised at how much people come together when things get tough.

As long as you're not asking for toilet paper...of course.;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been telecommuting for the last week and a half, which will continue until further notice. I have realized that my reloading bench is not the best office desk, and looking at a laptop screen all day isn't anything like using the two monitors I have at my work desk.

I do go out and see the public for work, but that has been severely curtained. The glass palace has deemed we only have to go out if there is a threat to national airspace system, and there aren't many of those in my neck of the woods. Managers aren't scared of looking at dashboards with red on the schedules; everything is being pushed to the right in the timelines.

My wife and dog are adjusting to me being home all the time. I normally could telework, but haven't for a long time. I'm enjoying not having to drive every day, and that's saving money and wear on my old fleet.

We are socially distant most of the time anyway, other than what work requires. I used to be a LOT more social but I like being home more than anything. Now if I could just spend more time in the shop finishing my spice box project.....

The stepdaughter traveled to Indiana three weeks ago, now her friend has traveled here to visit. We had to tell her to stay away - so we haven't seen her face to face for a month or more. And that will continue.

Stores  have weird things missing, the usual paper products are gone, but the other day all the bananas were gone...? Today they were back and looked great so I got some. It's weird, but we can go for walks and get fresh air, so that part of life is better for us.

My dil called yesterday from the grocery store and asked if there was anything we needed. Today, our son shows up with a rack of pork ribs, beans and homemade potato salad and brownies. If there are paybacks when this is all said and done, it will be well worth it. Good to hear from you @TerryMcK. Everyone stay safe. 

• Like 2

I'm just speaking to a colleague who lives outside of Plano in Texas. He is currently on a shelter at home command. He had to drive into the plant in Plano to check out some equipment I was having difficulty remote controlling from the UK. He said there was hardly any traffic on the highways coming in. He also said the folks were only supposed to be out for essentials. Liquor stores were deemed essential :D

I can't argue with that.

We are currently waiting for a government announcement (we get one every day around 5PM) to tell us what to do next. It may be that we go into total lock down soon like Spain and Italy have done.

9 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

Liquor stores were deemed essential

The stores around here have a new maximum number of people in the store at one time. The other day i drove my the liquor store and there were a good 200 people queued up. Mind you it's still winter here.... I felt like getting my water balloons or super soaker.

• Haha 1

A friend from work is old enough to count for the 'senior hour' stores here are observing. This lets the older folks have the store for the first hour after opening to limit exposure. Of course, that also gives them first pick at the newly-stocked TP. My friend was accosted as he walked to his car with a 24-pack of Charmin. The guy wanted to buy the TP. Friend refused, and told him to get in line with everyone else. Guy threatened to just take it until he discovered my friend was packing. Then he suddenly lost interest in TP.

If this keeps up much longer, there will be a showdown in some Dollar General parking lot.

• Like 2

Stores should have instituted a limit a long time ago. One on a 24 pack, two on a twelve pack etc. Finally, one of the big chain stores said no refund on toilet paper and other related goods. This hoarding crap is completely ridiculous. Soon there will be shelves full of tp and no takers. 

• Like 1

The UK is now on lockdown. We had an announcement on all the public TV channels and radio stations last night at 8:30PM.

• People should leave home only to exercise once a day, travel to and from work where "absolutely necessary", shop for essential items and to fulfil any medical or care needs.
  • There is a ban on public gatherings of more than two people.
  • All places of worship have been closed.
  • Closure of all shops selling non-essential goods, including clothing and electronic stores and other premises including libraries, playgrounds and outdoor gyms.
  • Stop all social events, including weddings, baptisms and other ceremonies, but excluding funerals
  • Restrictions would be under constant review and a relaxation of the rules would be considered in three weeks.
  • If you don't follow the rules the police will have the powers to enforce them, including through fines and dispersing gatherings.

"To put it simply, if too many people become seriously unwell at one time, the NHS will be unable to handle it - meaning more people are likely to die, not just from coronavirus but from other illnesses as well," the Prime Minister said. 

For reference the NHS is the UK's National Health Service. Nobody has to pay for medical services in the UK, no expensive insurance policies needed. We pay National Insurance which is a small proportion of your salary and it is deducted at source. Pensioners, usually retired people over 67, and unemployed folks or long term sick do not pay any national insurance.

We believe total closure of airports and seaports for passengers will be next as they have told all Brits currently travelling in other countries (around 1 million people) to return home as soon as possible. 

• Like 1