How is Covid19 affecting you?

TerryMcK

DISCLAIMER I am no Mechanic but I am related to one :)

On my Miata's I always fill the tank (premium) and add stabilizer but they are stored for about 6 months a year. My brother (corporate jet mechanic) has always advised the higher octane helps and also that you want the tank full becuase condensation is what causes issues. My older Miata will go several weeks in the summer with zero issues but I try to get it out every 3 weeks or so. FYI you may want to drive it some just to keep the battery charged or put a trickle charger on it.

Just now, pkinneb said:

I hear you Friday when I picked up some lumber stopped and pd $1.77 a gallon and thought wow that was cheap 15 miles later it was $1.59

I filled up my pickup at $1.59 and my chainsaw at $2.69. i think this is the biggest spread I've seen between regular and ethanol free premium.

Premium to regular is almost $1 by us depending where you go. Gas prices are all over the place too from station to station.

There was an Always Sunny in Philadelphia episode where they were going to buy gas, store it in the basement for a year and then resell it when prices went up.

54 minutes ago, Chet said:

Dead man walking.:P

:lol: don’t get me wrong, corn in many forms is delicious, I just don’t want it in my gas tanks, too many problems especially in cold climates, we had a gas station close to us switch to all ethanol and after a month went back to selling the good stuff when business dropped off. Some of my best friends are farmers, most honest people in the world, I’m glad they have a market for their crops 

• Like 1

This biggest effect this isolation is having on me, is that I'm losing weight.  Normally, when I had help working, we'd eat lunch out.  Now I go to the house to eat lunch.  My Wife is into fitness, and nutrition,  and I've been eating what she fixes.  Lately, it's been Trim, Healthy Mama (or something like that) recipes.  We've almost always eaten breakfast, and dinner at home anyway, so it's just the lunches making the difference.

I don't know about how much weight loss, because I haven't weighed myself in years.  The first couple of weeks, I needed to go down in jean size from 34's, to 33's.  Now I have to wear a belt with the 33's, or they slide down.

It's hard to say if I have more energy, because I have to work a lot harder, all day, regardless of what I'm doing, without help.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pkinneb said:

DISCLAIMER I am no Mechanic but I am related to one :)

On my Miata's I always fill the tank (premium) and add stabilizer but they are stored for about 6 months a year. My brother (corporate jet mechanic) has always advised the higher octane helps and also that you want the tank full becuase condensation is what causes issues. My older Miata will go several weeks in the summer with zero issues but I try to get it out every 3 weeks or so. FYI you may want to drive it some just to keep the battery charged or put a trickle charger on it.

Having also been a jet mechanic (and many other types of aircraft) I’ll say the condensation thing is absolutely correct. Be careful about higher octane... if you put 100LL in your car be careful. “LL” stands for low lead but compared to car fuel it’s not at all. It’ll foul plugs and can cause valve train problems. That stuff is made for massive electrode spark plugs (two per cylinder), low compression, air-cooled, slow turning aircraft engines. It’ll work, but mix it with a lot of premium car gas :) 

I’ve taken auto furlough from my 3 day a week, 3 week a month position. My wife and I have become accustomed to sleeping till almost 8:00 am. and it’s going to be hard to going back to getting up at 5:15. This may be my link to complete retirement. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Having also been a jet mechanic (and many other types of aircraft) I’ll say the condensation thing is absolutely correct. Be careful about higher octane... if you put 100LL in your car be careful. “LL” stands for low lead but compared to car fuel it’s not at all. It’ll foul plugs and can cause valve train problems. That stuff is made for massive electrode spark plugs (two per cylinder), low compression, air-cooled, slow turning aircraft engines. It’ll work, but mix it with a lot of premium car gas :) 

To clarify I just meant 93 octane premium vs the 87 of regular unleaded gas. My 03 is turbocharged and requires 91 minimum but both cars recommend premium. 

• Like 1

How much does Netflix cost in the US? I am paying £11.99 including taxes ($14.99 US) for 4 screens at 4K UHD

My broadband and landline telephone is £28 a month (including line rental which is the norm in the UK) which is $35 US. I get 100Mbit bandwidth unlimited download for that. Is that similar to US?