How is Covid19 affecting you?

TerryMcK

Kinda the same here. Zoom, Skype, email, softphone so I can answer my desk phone on my computer at home. Still getting things done bu some days it doesn't feel like I got a thing done. Other days, busy right up to quitting time. And for whateer reason, very little shop time. Although the weather is warming up so I have no real excuse other than I screwed up the tails and pins on my last drawer so I have to regroup and do them over. Good thing it was poplar and not something expensive. Still not inspiring. I've done enough dovetails I shouldn't be messing them up. I think I flipped a drawer side when I marked the pins and that messed up the one side. They're not symmetrical enough to flip the other way and fit. I'm an un-precise woodworker in that regard. They're custom fit anyway right?

It's tough. We're both working from home "full time" with a 2.5 year old and 5 year old. My wife is supposed to be on 7 hours of calls Monday, I have 2.5 hours of calls and they should be finishing our deck up Monday so I know they'll have questions for us.

I feel so lazy sitting inside all day on my computer or playing with the kids while people are right outside our window building a deck.

During lockdown in the UK TV and movie making has been severely curtailed as it has been in most of the world. Lots of shows recorded before lockdown are being shown on TV but one of the best is an American show, which to my knowledge was never shown originally in the UK, is a show originating from 1987. It is called "The Joy of Painting" with Bob Ross.

Absolutely fantastic TV to watch. This softly spoken guy with a big 1970s haircut, looking like a member of the Bee Gees, showing how to paint masterpieces with a 2" brush is wonderful. Sadly he died in 1995 but he has made some very watchable TV shows. Bob really was a real personality and his calm style lulls the viewer into wanting to pick up a brush and try it out.

My wife is an artist and she says although she can appreciate the techniques he demonstrates and used the style of pictures he did are not for her. I still like them though. I've since found that Youtube is full of his videos and there is a https://www.twoinchbrush.com/getting-started website.

• Like 2

I’ve eaten more eggs the last 2 months from being at home for 4 weeks, than I have in ten years. I’m seriously thinking of getting a couple of chickens for when I retire completely  in June. May have to get a couple extra as a sacrifice to the hawks. 

• Like 1

I miss Home Improvement. Used to watch it every day in college with my roommate on reruns even though we both grew up watching it. Now that our deck is finished I was thinking about trying to set up a projector out there. Need to figure out the seating first.

Well, 10 weeks down, starting 11.  At this point all of my woodworking clubs and my wife's sewing clubs have tried virtual meetings on Zoom. 

It's better than nothing, but not really the same as meeting in person.

And it's hard to practice social distancing--Zoom puts all those little boxes right next to each other.  :o

• Haha 2

I actually demand more from myself than she does. She’s pretty easy on the old man but it might just be a ploy. June 30th will be my bologna sandwiches and chips going away party. I was told if I wanted beer, I will have to bring my own. 

• Like 2