How is Covid19 affecting you?

TerryMcK

4 hours ago, legenddc said:

Amazing that car accidents are down over 50% but insurance companies are only offering 15-25% back. I bet if accidents went up by 50% our bills would increase by more than 25%. 

Well they do have to pay all those agents salaries, plus the execs running the show.

52 minutes ago, Mark J said:

And the TV commercials telling us that they're going to send refunds aren't free, either.  :)

Like the stupid A Hole in Allstate’s commercials that plays a dog and MIL. Gotta hit the mute button every time. 

• Like 1

No ad on TV, but I mentioned previously we just got a letter from our insurance company they're rebating a couple of months' premiums due to less driving. When I saw the TV ad I thought hey, my insurance company isn't doing anything! But they did. Not a great amount but better than zip.

So, Corona killed Amazon. It did not kill FedEx. I gifted a stand mixer for my wife’s bday. That came FedEx in two days. I ordered a negative attachment for conversion to digital with my camera. That came FedEx FROM JAPAN (eBay...eBay from Japan has never let me down) in three days. Meanwhile Amazon is holding orders in limbo. I don’t mean that to be a complaint. I just find the differences fascinating. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

So, Corona killed Amazon. It did not kill FedEx. I gifted a stand mixer for my wife’s bday. That came FedEx in two days. I ordered a negative attachment for conversion to digital with my camera. That came FedEx FROM JAPAN (eBay...eBay from Japan has never let me down) in three days. Meanwhile Amazon is holding orders in limbo. I don’t mean that to be a complaint. I just find the differences fascinating. 

FedEx, UPS, and USPS are still handling the volume, at least in my experience. FedEx has the benefit of not doing much business with Amazon.

It's Amazon (and certain other vendors) that are bottlenecked or throttling their shipments. Amazon is definitely prioritizing certain groups of items and is giving themselves a buffer. We ordered something from Amazon that said it would take almost a month to be delivered and it arrived in 4-5 days. Other online vendors are still getting things to me in a couple days.

I agree its taken some getting used to and altered my shopping habits a lot. I used to buy probably 90% of everything I bought on Amazon I would guess that has dropped to about 50% due to the slow shipping. My brother who is a UPS semi driver said its like Christmas volumes right now...he's really glad he retires in Sep :) 

• Like 1

I don't buy much from Amazon, but I understand they're selling all manner of household goods, from the necessities to the niceties, and that people are relying on Amazon for their purchases rather than risk an in person encouter at the store only to find an empty shelf.  What I heard is that faced with a large increase in items ordered Amazon is focusing on delivering the necessities over the niceties.  So as much I don't like the company I have to give them credit for sacrificing their reputation with some customers to keep others stocked with needs.

• Like 1

The problem is that someone gets to decide necessity, who has never lived the life I live. That leads to some disparity. The stand mixer (clearly a nicety) was not a necessity. The fulfiller was willing to buy the more expensive shipping. 

11 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I find it fascinating that you gave your wife a kitchen appliance for her birthday, and lived to tell the tale! Must be a very special lady! :D

Megan hounded me about getting one for Christmas. Those stand mixers must be the kitchen table saw.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I find it fascinating that you gave your wife a kitchen appliance for her birthday, and lived to tell the tale! Must be a very special lady! :D

My wife has in the past asked for a vacuum cleaner. She cooks, cleans and is beautiful. What more could I ask? Oh, and she never second guesses my tool purchases! :)

• Like 2

So yesterday wraps up 8 weeks of staying home for me. With all that thinking time I believe I can now see the future!

It looks remarkably like yesterday.

I mean that in a Groundhog Day sort of way, but also that this may be As Good As It Gets.

• Like 1

I was working 14 hours a day from home. I didn't get any woodworking done in the last 6 weeks it feels like. I've been back in the office since Monday and i swear my productivity took a noose dive. Boss doesn't see it that way so i guess that's all that matters.

• Haha 1

I'm also working from home.  For a while, what should have been 5-10min chats became 30-60 zoom meetings.  The email load got crazy, and both early-risers (those in work early on normal days) and the night owls all seemed to think others were on their schedules.  So - no shop time. It does seem to be moderating some, so Ill try to carve out time from the job and family to do something.

• Like 1