How is Covid19 affecting you?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haven’t had a “date night” with my wife in a couple months since babysitters and other childcare options are out. Nothing says romance like being surrounded by power and hand tools, sawdust in the air

After a lot of hunting and clicking my wife and I were both able to get appointments and vaccinated.  And now I am finally set up (with vaccination and liability insurance) to be a volunteer vaccinato

Honestly, I find myself fighting off a bit of depression.  The Illinois Governor issued a Stay at Home order taking effect today.  It actually doesn't change things for me and my wife, we were already

Posted Images

Had to work on plans to cut our wedding guest list from 280 people to 25. I expect to be not getting much shop time as we'll be calling everyone that we have to revoke their invitation.

Seems like a minor thing compared to people that have family that are seriously ill but it's not exactly fun either.

  • Sad 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Had to work on plans to cut our wedding guest list from 280 people to 25. I expect to be not getting much shop time as we'll be calling everyone that we have to revoke their invitation.

Seems like a minor thing compared to people that have family that are seriously ill but it's not exactly fun either.

Not a minor thing at all. The mental & emotional toll of this thing is really starting to become apparent to me.

I haven't seem my grand kids in weeks. We had no family thanksgiving & there will be no family Christmas this year & that has got me completely bummed out. I doubt if we'll even put up a Christmas tree.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Had to work on plans to cut our wedding guest list from 280 people to 25. I expect to be not getting much shop time as we'll be calling everyone that we have to revoke their invitation.

Seems like a minor thing compared to people that have family that are seriously ill but it's not exactly fun either.

That sucks Drew sorry to hear that! As you know I went thru it earlier this year with our daughter and son in law and had hoped yours would be late enough in the year to be spared.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Not a minor thing at all. The mental & emotional toll of this thing is really starting to become apparent to me.

I haven't seem my grand kids in weeks. We had no family thanksgiving & there will be no family Christmas this year & that has got me completely bummed out. I doubt if we'll even put up a Christmas tree.

I hear you! We will be doing a small immediate family since no air travel is necessary and our family is 8 all in.

You gotta put up a tree Frank! Turn on a Hallmark xmas movie and have some hot chocolate at least :)

I can't even imagine having grand kids and not being able to see them that would suck!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Had to work on plans to cut our wedding guest list from 280 people to 25. I expect to be not getting much shop time as we'll be calling everyone that we have to revoke their invitation.

Seems like a minor thing compared to people that have family that are seriously ill but it's not exactly fun either.

Not a minor thing at all. With all the work needed to put on a wedding, that's a tough blow. Anyone who isn't understanding of your call shouldn't get invited to a rescheduled wedding or reception.

My sister had to postpone her wedding a year and did an immediate family only wedding in a park. One of the groom's sisters couldn't come since she's a doctor in NYC. She set up a Zoom call and everyone seemed to enjoy that. All told their wedding was 15 including the officiant (me) and the photographer (her bridesmaid).

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Not a minor thing at all. The mental & emotional toll of this thing is really starting to become apparent to me.

I haven't seem my grand kids in weeks. We had no family thanksgiving & there will be no family Christmas this year & that has got me completely bummed out. I doubt if we'll even put up a Christmas tree.

We've been seeing friends and family but staying outdoors around friends. Glad we put our deck in this year but it's going to be cold here soon so seeing friends is going to have to stop. One of our friends is going through a really hard time and I want to go over there and be there for them but we can't. It's tough.

I hope you're able to see your grandkids. Not sure how old they are, but my kids are already freaking out seeing people's Christmas decorations. I suspect I'll be putting ours up soon and tripping over the cords every time I have to rake the leaves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Not a minor thing at all. The mental & emotional toll of this thing is really starting to become apparent to me.

I haven't seem my grand kids in weeks. We had no family thanksgiving & there will be no family Christmas this year & that has got me completely bummed out. I doubt if we'll even put up a Christmas tree.

Our holiday get togethers will be eliminated as well. We are skipping the Christmas tree because there was so much work on other things  that we just didn't want to do it. Now the motivation is just not there. I've been lucky to live within a few hours drive of grandparents. I just made the drive even to see them for a couple hours. Our grandparents are in their 80s and can't navigate tech to do video calls. So making the trip is worth it. I hope you have as good of holiday as possible despite the circumstances.

8 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

That sucks Drew sorry to hear that! As you know I went thru it earlier this year with our daughter and son in law and had hoped yours would be late enough in the year to be spared.

I'm starting to get really irritated with the vendors that have been getting all the business relief handouts from the government but won't refund us deposits even though cancellation is outside of our control. I'm tempted to hire a lawyer I know to try and scare them into refunding us.

 

14 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Not a minor thing at all. With all the work needed to put on a wedding, that's a tough blow. Anyone who isn't understanding of your call shouldn't get invited to a rescheduled wedding or reception.

My sister had to postpone her wedding a year and did an immediate family only wedding in a park. One of the groom's sisters couldn't come since she's a doctor in NYC. She set up a Zoom call and everyone seemed to enjoy that. All told their wedding was 15 including the officiant (me) and the photographer (her bridesmaid).

We're not rescheduling. It's going to be this and we're done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I'm starting to get really irritated with the vendors that have been getting all the business relief handouts from the government but won't refund us deposits even though cancellation is outside of our control. I'm tempted to hire a lawyer I know to try and scare them into refunding us.

Paige and Mike ran into the same issue with only the airlines refunding their airfare everyone else agreed to push the dates but not refund money. They were ok with that in many cases becuase they are going the two wedding route. He did have to send a couple letters to hotel vendors who ultimately did refund their deposits so for the honeymoon which was canceled I believe they got everything back. He is an atty so I suspect the official letter head didn't hurt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 10:12 AM, pkinneb said:

Paige and Mike ran into the same issue with only the airlines refunding their airfare everyone else agreed to push the dates but not refund money. They were ok with that in many cases becuase they are going the two wedding route. He did have to send a couple letters to hotel vendors who ultimately did refund their deposits so for the honeymoon which was canceled I believe they got everything back. He is an atty so I suspect the official letter head didn't hurt.

I can't even get the vendors, that are refusing to return deposits, to send me copies of the signed and executed contracts. I'm angry enough to hire a lawyer to review the contracts and maybe send a nasty letter as it'd be money well spent just to make the vendor squirm. I'm out $1,000 at this point.

The irony is they responded to my 1 star review in 2 minutes.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I can't even get the vendors, that are refusing to return deposits, to send me copies of the signed and executed contracts. I'm angry enough to hire a lawyer to review the contracts and maybe send a nasty letter as it'd be money well spent just to make the vendor squirm. I'm out $1,000 at this point.

The irony is they responded to my 1 star review in 2 minutes.

As sad as it is sometimes that's what it takes but still sucks that it has to come to that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pkinneb said:

As sad as it is sometimes that's what it takes but still sucks that it has to come to that.

Yea, sometimes all it takes is a well worded letter on a law firms letter head which can be less costly then actual legal action.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that cold weather is here my glasses are constantly fogging.  I bought some spray to apply to the lenses.   It significantly reduces fogging, but instead generates water droplets.  After 5 minutes or so my vision is obscured by "rain".  This is a very vexing problem.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mark J said:

Now that cold weather is here my glasses are constantly fogging.  I bought some spray to apply to the lenses.   It significantly reduces fogging, but instead generates water droplets.  After 5 minutes or so my vision is obscured by "rain".  This is a very vexing problem.

Similar problem at work, wearing safety glasses with a mask. I find that pulling the glasses down the bridge of my nose, until they rest on the upper edge of the mask material, alleviates the problem considerably. Wearing the mask a little higher up makes this easier. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I find that pulling the glasses down the bridge of my nose, until they rest on the upper edge of the mask material, alleviates the problem considerably.

Unfortunately I wear progressive lenses, so they are very sensitive to position. 

I have noticed that wearing a hat, particularly with a brim makes it worse.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mick S said:

Have you tried washing your glasses with soap and water regularly? The soap residue inhibits condensation.

That's the daily ritual.  I can't say I've noticed any effect, but I've never not washed them with soap and water.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another exposure the day after Thanksgiving. Two people, a couple, two of 8 there, tested positive. The two thought it was allergies but tested anyway. No further symptoms from either one of them. Just curious, amongst us, who will opt for the vaccine? My wife and I, will. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 246 Guests (See full list)

  • Forum Statistics

    29608
    Total Topics
    401366
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    22316
    Total Members
    3644
    Most Online
    Housetree
    Newest Member
    Housetree
    Joined