How is Covid19 affecting you?

TerryMcK

7 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Unrelated to Covid, but last year our local Woodcraft closed, owners retired. Just got notice last week they've now re-opened, so I'm hoping to get out there and see what's new/different. Wearing a mask in the store will be different... (see how I  tied that into Covid! :) )

Slicker than a Christmas ribbon.

• Haha 1

Here in Illinois stores in general are being allowed to re-open with restrictions, such as limited occupancy and masks.  Besides getting a haircut I've ventured into a few stores and sandwich shops as long as the place wasn't crowded.  It's really a good feeling to be able to re-enter a retail store.   Though I'm not ready for even outdoor seating at a restaurant, yet.  

So here's a question, who would be willing to take a cruise ship vacation in the future?  I was never that excited about the idea, but after this pandemic, and recalling several other disease outbreaks on board various ships in the past, I think a cruise would be very unlikely for me.  In fact I think there will be a significant die off in that industry.  

25 minutes ago, Mark J said:

So here's a question, who would be willing to take a cruise ship vacation in the future?  I was never that excited about the idea, but after this pandemic, and recalling several other disease outbreaks on board various ships in the past, I think a cruise would be very unlikely for me.  In fact I think there will be a significant die off in that industry.  

I’d rather charter the small guy. I’d love an inner passage NW coast cruise, but would rather throw in fuel and food costs with a much smaller crowd. I don’t particularly enjoy the bells and whistles. I get on to see and do what I cannot on land. 

23 minutes ago, Mark J said:

So here's a question, who would be willing to take a cruise ship vacation in the future? 

I've only taken one cruise, on the Grand Princess when it was just a few months old, and it was quite an experience in luxury & pampering. But I will not be taking any more for a few reasons. The pandemic risk has a spot on the list, as does the fact that my stomach & boats don't get along all that well. Most importantly for me though, is the tight scheduling. On a cruise there is little opportunity to do anything other than what and when the schedule dictates. When travelling, we prefer to follow a very loose itinerary & plan as we go, according to what grabs our interest. 

The luxury is nice, but wears thin in short order. I prefer staying in modest accommodations that are off the beaten tourist path.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

I will...just not anytime soon. I find them to be one of the few places where I can really get away from everything so I really enjoy them. Now whether I will get my wife to go again well that may be another thing :) 

I am a bit claustrophobic so we have always gone with a balcony room so we have our own outside space and the rooms are not so closed up.

On a positive note I am on the checkin list for a haircut 102 minutes and counting :D

• Like 2

My grandparents used to go on a lot of cruises. I though it was funny that they were always looking forward to reaching a port so that all the people would get off and they’d have the place to themselves (relatively). They went on about 10 “last” cruises, too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark J said:

I was never willing to take a cruise in the past, and don't see that attitude changing....

6 hours ago, Chet said:

I am not a big cruise person and that was solidified when we took a trip up to Alaska on our own using B&B's for lodging.  Each place we visited we noticed that the cruise travelers were only getting about six hours or so ashore.  Barely enough time to get off  the ship, see one or two sights, buy you tee shirt and get back on the ship.  

But if I were a cruise ship person I think I would want to be on the first cruise the ship takes when this is all over.  It will probably be the cleanest the ship has been since it was new.

Not good to hear. We were scheduled with three other couples for an Alaskan cruise on May 23 and now have rescheduled for the same time next year. I’ve only been on one out of New Orleans to the Caribbean and the first two days and last two were getting there and back with 3 ports in between. I think the Alaskan cruise will be better as there is less open water. 

We’ve been eating at restaurants for almost 3 weeks now. Sure is nice!