Transformations

derekcohen

44 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Very nice! The way that drawer blends in is unbelievable!!

I was going to say the same thing about the drawer.  At first I thought the friend had changed her mind about the drawer.

• Like 1

That is impressive, Derek.  The grain match on the drawer is so perfect the joint lines just disappear.  You give such great attention to detail in your projects, and it makes a big difference in the finished project.  Outstanding.

Derek

10 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I am amazed that the drawer front grain re-aligned so well, after cross-cutting 2 full kerfs! I was certain you had some sort of magical saw blade that left a mono-molecular kerf to make it fit so well. 

My reasoning was this: I could cut with a Japanese saw, which leaves a fine surface and a fine kerf. But I am still going to have to shoot the ends to ensure that they are perfectly square to one another - that is, both sides. That can add up to a wider kerf. So, go for the table saw, which will leave a fine and square cut with a predictable cut/kerf.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 2

That’s the way I would have done it but, with no where near the results that you got. I’m convinced that it’s due to the fact that you are in the the Southern Hemisphere and the wood grain orients itself or some bs like that? Regardless, darn nice work bud! 

• Like 1

Nicely done, and well docemented, Derek. I am curious, did you consider adding any support between the front ends of the drawer blades? I understand space is limited, but the open ended design seems as if it could break if the drawer were to take any significant downward force while extended. Perhaps that expectation is low enough in such a piece that the risk is minimal?

5 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Nicely done, and well docemented, Derek. I am curious, did you consider adding any support between the front ends of the drawer blades? I understand space is limited, but the open ended design seems as if it could break if the drawer were to take any significant downward force while extended. Perhaps that expectation is low enough in such a piece that the risk is minimal?

I did consider a drawer stop, but it was difficult to do with the drawer design. The drawer will hold a few light objects, such as keys, and I was not concerned about weight stressing it.

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 1

• Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 57 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Skillfusian
    Newest Member
    Skillfusian