Greene and Greene bed

That looks really nice :) I really like what you did with the center piece in the headboard; wish I'd've thought of that when I made mine.

I'm 6'5" and made a California king out of the queen plans (basically it's 6'x7'). Still used six spindles but made the center pieces wider. So I have the taller footboard but it doesn't bother me, although I did worry about it a bit while I was planning. My main wood was quartersawn white oak.

Do you have the Darrell Peart books? I made his jig for rounding the ends of the ebony plugs. Worked well for me after a little guesswork.

How did you do the double mortises? I did mine by hand (this was before the Powermatic) and it was a LOT of work.

1 hour ago, Chip Sawdust said:

That looks really nice :) I really like what you did with the center piece in the headboard; wish I'd've thought of that when I made mine.

I'm 6'5" and made a California king out of the queen plans (basically it's 6'x7'). Still used six spindles but made the center pieces wider. So I have the taller footboard but it doesn't bother me, although I did worry about it a bit while I was planning. My main wood was quartersawn white oak.

Do you have the Darrell Peart books? I made his jig for rounding the ends of the ebony plugs. Worked well for me after a little guesswork.

How did you do the double mortises? I did mine by hand (this was before the Powermatic) and it was a LOT of work.

Thanks.

I do have some of his books. I've not make the jig for the plugs, I like them to have a random handmade look, so I just crank them out by hand.

I have a Powermatic morticer , so it wasn't too bad. And there are no spindles in the foot board. ;-)

• Like 1

I like it, I like it.  Very nice job. The center of the headboard is an interesting choice. Was that your own variation on the theme? Great material choices. 

Just a side note in case it’s of interest. The Greens did the beautiful design work but IIRC the Halls brought many of the designs to life. This collaboration of designers and builders left behind some pretty amazing work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Beautiful work! I really like how you didn't go overboard with the plugs and accents. I personally feel some creators tend to make G&G garish by adding too many plugs or ebony accents.

It is beautiful work to be sure. The plans call for the number of plugs I see, which matches what I put in the bed I made. The cloud lifts are a little more tricky than the plugs :) At least they were for me at the time. All I had was a 9" Grizzly bandsaw; I certainly put it through its paces cutting those. There are fewer plugs in the footboard because of the desired lower footboard, naturally.

On 7/3/2020 at 5:41 PM, Shane Jimerfield said:

Thanks.

I do have some of his books. I've not make the jig for the plugs, I like them to have a random handmade look, so I just crank them out by hand.

I have a Powermatic morticer , so it wasn't too bad. And there are no spindles in the foot board. ;-)

Do you have the square chisels from LV for the plugs? They go pretty quickly with those; for me it was worth the investment, along with the sharpening cones they sell for the kit.

23 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Beautiful work! I really like how you didn't go overboard with the plugs and accents. I personally feel some creators tend to make G&G garish by adding too many plugs or ebony accents.

The original bed has plugs at each end of each spindle and couple more at the corners, and I do like it, but yes I too prefer fewer.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

... and now it's a pile of ashes, along with many of my other projects. For me personally, I'm not that attached to stuff, but loosing the stuff I made and my tools is like loosing part of myself. I know many of you on here would feel the same way, perhaps that's why I'm sharing this with you.

the ashes.jpg

• Sad 10

So sorry to hear that. I agree with you Shane, losing stuff is something I could overcome because insurance replaces stuff. Insurance doesn't replace what you put into you pieces, nothing can replace that. My condolences and wish you the best in rebuilding.