GluBot Glue Bottle?

Mark J

I like the small glu bot for joinery where only a little glue is needed or for a thin bead of glue in a door panel dado but they need to be cleaned after every use or they cog up and are not as easy to unclog and regular tite bond bottles.  Also the red cap tether will break and the cap will get lost (teenagers).

• Thanks 1

I had a large one but the tip and pouring spout kept getting clogged. I found that the tip seal wore out after a while of taking the tip off to unclog it.

I now have a small glu bot and a 16oz titebond bottle, and I pick between the two. This has been working out better for me. Maybe others have better luck with the large glu bot. But in a school setting I’d probably lean toward several 16oz titebond bottles and gallon jugs to refill them. 

• Thanks 1

Had a small for 5-ish years but ended up clogging the neck after leaving the cap off one too many times. Got a large now and I prefer it to the titebond bottles, but most of the cons folks have identified are true. I don't have any issue squeezing until it's down to almost a quarter.

I've used the large and small for longer than I can remember.  I bought a few extra tips back in the day and still have some left.  I have a few other methods of dispensing glue and use the one that makes sense for what I am doing.  A brush in a glue pot handles tasks when I am building something that takes a lot of glue.  Rollers come out for large areas.  The Glue Bots are my go to for most things.

Glue-Caddy-3.thumb.jpg.3ef8f793b226294d8fc30643377afac3.jpg

The ones I have use a gasket in the lid and squeeze fine till pretty low.  Your weather may effect this but I just set the bottle down and then put the cap on after a short interval.  This lets the glue run back into the tip / neck.  The only times I have clog problems are when I let the glue get too old now and again.  I doubt that they would do well in a production environment but work well for me in the home shop.

• Thanks 1

The other day making cam clamps I was using them and letting them dry and throwing them away. After I threw 4-5 away it dawned on me the price of materials has been going up. I got cup of water and started keeping  them clean in-between..

yesturday I was in Walmarts. I thought I’d check on the price of mixing cups for finishing. Figured they would be cheaper than I can get them from S&W. $2 each..

Many things we take for cheap are starting to add up. Paper towels, shop rags, cups, etc. Keep an eye on what you throw away. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

Many things we take for cheap are starting to add up. Paper towels, shop rags, cups, etc. Keep an eye on what you throw away. 

Ok, confession.  I buy HF nitrile gloves and reuse a pair many times before discarding.  It takes a moment to pull them off without turning them inside out, but I might get a half a dozen uses.  Washing off a glue brush makes perfect sense to me.

• Like 1

We were using Raven brand gloves after the furniture company. Once they started using vending machines to distribute shop products and keep track, they started filling it with HF gloves. I couldn’t tell you how much money  they spent on gloves before the vending machine and  keeping track…

7 hours ago, Mark J said:

Ok, confession.  I buy HF nitrile gloves and reuse a pair many times before discarding.  It takes a moment to pull them off without turning them inside out, but I might get a half a dozen uses.  Washing off a glue brush makes perfect sense to me.

Same here, when I can get them. My local HF went through a long dry spell on gloves during the pandemic. I only use the black ones (12 mil?). Others tear far too easily. I re-use a glove until there is a hole in it, or it is just to contaminated to touch the work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2023 at 5:56 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Same here, when I can get them. My local HF went through a long dry spell on gloves during the pandemic. I only use the black ones (12 mil?). Others tear far too easily. I re-use a glove until there is a hole in it, or it is just to contaminated to touch the work.

Sprinkle a little baby powder on your hands, and rub it in before putting the gloves on. They come right off, and re-use more than once.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 9:50 AM, roughsawn said:

Sprinkle a little baby powder on your hands, and rub it in before putting the gloves on. They come right off, and re-use more than once.

Bingo.  There is a small bottle of baby powder next to my glove box.  Seems like I have been using the same bottle for years.  Just a quick shot in the palm and then rub your hands like you're washing them.  Presto.

Isn't someone like Rockler selling a silicone brayer for glue?

Why yes! Yes they are!

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-5-glue-roller-with-silicone-rest?sid=V91048&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6LyfBhC3ARIsAG4gkF-5C11SgKywStlVLGKmSCEep20cBv8boW8TAzs_4xvQIHtSQrLQ8kcaApxPEALw_wcB

But I see Woodcraft has one also, slightly more traditional design.

On 2/14/2023 at 10:50 AM, roughsawn said:

I keep a large salt shaker full of corn starch next to my gloves. I like the slightly heavier gloves (8mil) because I don't get nearly as many blowouts. They last many uses.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 6:22 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Isn't someone like Rockler selling a silicone brayer for glue?

Why yes! Yes they are!

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-5-glue-roller-with-silicone-rest?sid=V91048&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6LyfBhC3ARIsAG4gkF-5C11SgKywStlVLGKmSCEep20cBv8boW8TAzs_4xvQIHtSQrLQ8kcaApxPEALw_wcB

But I see Woodcraft has one also, slightly more traditional design.

I just ordered that roller a few days ago. I was using a J roller it worked but when not in use I kept it in my clean up bucket PITA. I have one of those rollers that are connected to a glue bottle another PITA I'm always forgetting to clean the damn thing or throw the roller attachment in the water bucket. And The rollers skid instead of roll through the glue until you get down to the thin layer of glue, the Rockler glue roller has the textured surface plus the silicone component I think I found my new favorite roller.

• Like 1

I saw that Rockler glue roller online, but from the description it sounds like only the tray is silicone. Does dried glue actually peel right off from the roller itself? The dried glue comes off easily from the silicone brushes and the new Rockler domino-sized glue spreaders, but cleaning dried glue off the rubber roller I have is a pain.