Live edges do you use them in your work?

Live Edge or not?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use live edges in your work

• All the time I think they are essential
    • Sometimes if a piece would be enhanced by it
    • I've never tried it but would be willing to give it a try
    • Heck no straight sides or uniform curves only for me
    • What's a live edge?
    • I like the look of live edges and plan to do project using them, but I haven't gotten to it?

Could you add another choice... Something along the lines of, "I like the look of live edges and plan to do project using them, but I haven't gotten to it?"..

That choice (or maybe that's two choices) fits my situation perfectly. I bet it fits several others as well...

Could you add another choice... Something along the lines of, "I like the look of live edges and plan to do project using them, but I haven't gotten to it?"..

That choice (or maybe that's two choices) fits my situation perfectly. I bet it fits several others as well...

Done

I have never used them, but I plan too. My brother just gave me ~80 board feet of air dried black walnut and there are a couple live edges in there. I was thinking that a nice coffee with a double live edge top would look nice so I am going to give it a try.

Have you considered, live edge aprons, to go with the top?

I recently finished a live edge coffee table made from locally harvested pecan. The apron was straight edge and the legs on one end were two slabs, each 1/3 the width of the top and the legs on the other end were curved w/ a little George Nakashima influence. Can't wait to get started on an end table of a similar design.  

Have you considered, live edge aprons, to go with the top?

I have been kicking around the idea, but I would have to see if I can pull it off. Most of the wood I was given does not have a live edge.

I remember seeing a post where the table had live edge aprons and it looked awesome. Wait a minute......wait just a minute, I think it was you that posted it?

*Edit*

Nope I was wrong I looked it up it was allenc.

I've seen some nice uses of live edge, such as the tray examples above, and I couldn't possibly knock anything Nakashima, but most of the time I find live edge a little over rated or the use of it not really appropriate to the piece in which it's used.  

I've not used live edge.  I'd be willing to if I found a nice enough piece or it were appropriate to what I'm doing.  Not really looking for it, however.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Tried to vote, but no luck.

i have completed two live edge tables (both in the journal sections) and I use them when trying to create a "one of a kind" piece.  I do , personally, prefer straight and curved work most of the time, but I am not always the one making the design decisions!

Edited by Pug