Friendly Woodworkers

Interesting!  But not so unusual.  Some things are evolving, and those involved want to keep their methods from the public, in order to derive a benefit.  Wood workers on the other hand, are redoing a centuries old process! There isn't to much that's new in wood work, with the exception of the tools ! There are designs that are difficult to quantify, but for the most part, the construction is the same as it has been for many years. Those that work in wood will gladly share knowledge because it's not a secret process, it's been here as long as the first club used to hunt meat!

• Like 1

Agreed, I havent met a woodworker--professional or amateur--that wasnt more than willing to share knowledge with full disclosure. I think Richard nailed it; there are no snake oils in woodworking. Your first two examples were of people using methods that set them apart. Methods that most of us could replicate with the right equipment/process. This means they are only successful as long as they maintain this exclusivity in the market. Im sure this is why they gave you the cold shoulder. If I purchased a laser cutter, I could replicate what your second artist did in a wink. Woodworking on the other hand is the opposite. It is the skill of the individual and not the process or equipment. I appreciate how open everyone is with information and enthusiasm for the craft. In turn, I am always the same with new woodworkers I meet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lester Burnham said:

I've yet to encounter a woodworker that isn't willing to explain, usually in great detail, how to do something.

Talented builder. From that guy's site.

http://www.furnituremakercleveland.com/showgallery.php?catid=47

2014_07_03_04_37_47_53b5408b87713.jpg

That chest of drawers is beautiful. Building something like this is my goal.

Patience Grasshopper, you're on the right track!

• Like 1

When asked how I did something or do something (usually a non woodworker) I just say.... "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you"..... It is just a joke of course, I'm always ready to talk, tell and show anyone anything that I've done that they are interested in.

I've even taken pictures and posted them on wood working forums of how I make wooden vases with a scroll saw.

Finishedvase002_zpsce1c9f3a.jpg

• Like 1

When asked how I did something or do something (usually a non woodworker) I just say.... "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you"..... It is just a joke of course, I'm always ready to talk, tell and show anyone anything that I've done that they are interested in.

I've even taken pictures and posted them on wood working forums of how I make wooden vases with a scroll saw.

Finishedvase002_zpsce1c9f3a.jpg

You made this on a scroll saw!!??

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, trialbyfire said:

You made this on a scroll saw!!??

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Well, yea, sort of.

It starts  the table saw of course and there is a lot of sanding in the end but, the hard part is done on a scroll saw. Most people think it was done with a lathe and wonder how I hollowed it out but, I don't own a lathe. And to make matters worse when I tell them it was made with three 3/4" x 8" x 8" boards (walnut, maple and cherry) they question my sanity. :)

I may just have to show you the tricks some day......"But then I would have to kill you" :):)

• Like 2

I would always run into this on the Etsy forums.  Someone who crochets baby hats getting into a twist because someone had the nerve to ask for her "intellectual property".  You didn't invent crochet, hats, or babies.  Get over yourself.

It takes a lot to be a woodworker.  You have to invest in the tools and invest in yourself to develop the skills.  Most people who go through that process come out the other end (there really is no end) having developed their own mix of all the influences they've encountered along the way and don't need to be straight out copying anybody.  If all somebody wants to do is copy then they probably don't have what it takes to compete with somebody who has really developed their skills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krtwood said:

Someone who crochets baby hats getting into a twist because someone had the nerve to ask for her "intellectual property". 

Intentional pun?

I never understood the whole not sharing or not being nice part. I don't have much to contribute here but i have my places where some could consider me mediocre. Odds are someone isn't paying me because i have a unique idea, someone is paying me because they don't want to do the work them selves. If i had a unique idea i wouldn't be a minion at some company counting the minutes till 5:00/

Sorry about the photo -- kinda ironic, lol. It's a transfer to aluminum, but it's actually three different photos mixed together and then transferred to the aluminum sheet. 

I let my Website lapse awhile ago and haven't gotten around to getting it back up. It's seems this woodworking thing has taken over a lot of my spare time. I'll try to take some better ones and repost. 

7 hours ago, jplemons said:

Sorry about the photo -- kinda ironic, lol. It's a transfer to aluminum, but it's actually three different photos mixed together and then transferred to the aluminum sheet. 

I let my Website lapse awhile ago and haven't gotten around to getting it back up. It's seems this woodworking thing has taken over a lot of my spare time. I'll try to take some better ones and repost. 

Working with wood does that to folks, it captures them and rarely lets go!

My professional photographer friend is shocked and amazed at the way folks on "my forums" share and interact and even do tutorials to show each other how things are done and can be done differently.  In "his forums" techniques and methods are tightly secreted.  If anyone is naive or brash enough to ask "how did you get that shadowing effect?" they will either get crickets (at best) or blasted (at worst).

1 hour ago, gee-dub said:

My professional photographer friend is shocked and amazed at the way folks on "my forums" share and interact and even do tutorials to show each other how things are done and can be done differently.  In "his forums" techniques and methods are tightly secreted.  If anyone is naive or brash enough to ask "how did you get that shadowing effect?" they will either get crickets (at best) or blasted (at worst).

A naïve question ... but what is the point in participating in "his" forums? What do they talk about if they're not talking about photography?

7 hours ago, h3nry said:

A naïve question ... but what is the point in participating in "his" forums? What do they talk about if they're not talking about photography?

Photographers talk about gear.  There is constant turnover of new stuff so there is always fresh debate over which 100% crop of a brick wall or blurry flower in the background is better.  They argue over brands like they are sports teams.  

13 hours ago, h3nry said:

6 hours ago, krtwood said:

Photographers talk about gear.  There is constant turnover of new stuff so there is always fresh debate over which 100% crop of a brick wall or blurry flower in the background is better.  They argue over brands like they are sports teams.  

krtwood's got it as far as I can tell from a few brief visits.  I was hoping for the kind of help with lighting, settings and content like I am used to here for example; nope.  Not a bad thing.  Just different than I am used to.

14 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

Yeah, try getting fishing spots out of a fly fishing forum. Granted, people are more than willing to help on casting technique, tying(sometimes), and gear, but if you get into spot burning online, God help you. 

Oh man i enjoy messing with fisherman. There are some guys, at the same resort as my parents, that are super secretive about their fishing spots. I make a sport of following them around the lake when i seem the leave to go fishing.