Making a Mallet

G S Haydon

I've wanted to make a mallet for a while to replace my Narex (which happens to be a very nice mallet) and I found a bit of time to take the project forward. I raided the scrap bin and found a bit of ash for the handle and iroko for the head. I like this style of mallet for no other reason than I'm very familiar with it and like the feel in use. Pretty simple to make which is also a bonus.

Ash is a great timber for tool handles as it absorbs shocks and has a degree of flex. Well worth considering for a tool like a mallet. The head is iroko but for no other reason that it's dense and was to hand. For those not familiar with iroko it's a timber that needs to be respected as it can be an irritant and gives off pretty nasty dust too.

Even though I was using short ends, hand tools worked well to reduce the amount of waste or the need to make jigs to safely cut them on a machine. I'd never not turn my back on machines, I'm not mental, but it was a benefit of going "un-plugged" on this occasion.

Even though a mallet is simple it's amazing how much detail and work goes into making a nice example. I'm pleased with the results and I look forward to using it. I'll most likely make some custom chisel handles next or whatever else takes my fancy.

• Like 2

Steven yes, editing takes so long it's painful. However me in normal speed is even worse for the viewer. 

Thanks woodbutcher 74, I get the "fun" word used a lot which is just perfect for me as I know I've succeeded in what I set out to do with these video. 

Cheers Eric :-), it is the same ol' jazz but it helps me practice doing it on film. Some original stuff soon, I promise :-).

Thanks Kev ;-)

Thanks Pug, I would not rule that out in the long/medium term if and when the projects become more interesting. However I would need to work with a third party as I'm not sure people want to download a pdf of a napkin and I don't want to learn how to draw with a computer  :). For now fun vids keep me happy.

Cheers Daniel!

• Like 2

Graham, that video was great! I often watch youtube woodworking videos and am left feeling like i wasted precious moments of my life that i will never get back and contemplating why in the hell that guy would upload the pos video. Yours was quite the opposite. Not sure what exactly was so appealing, maybe the speedy hands, maybe the simplicity or maybe because you used only hand tools. Anyways, it was awesome. Do you have a youtube channel? i would like to check out more of your videos. You're a no nonsense guy. I like that.

• Like 1

Over there you start off with short trousers and have to earn the right to cover your legs.

It's some kind of quirky manhood ritual.

From what I've seen of Hollywood Movies, if you are fortunate you go to "public school" where older boys beat you up and then when you are tall (or mature) enough you get to wear long pants.

See Auntie Mame for the American equivalent..."Golly gee, shorts pants at last, can I try them on right now Aunti Mame?"