Advice on my first planer

wareaglewoodworker

I'm looking for advice or impressions on bench-top planers.  I started woodworking this last year and I've got two projects under my belt with a third I should be wrapping up by Christmas.  I've decided I'm ready to move on from the home-center lumber and took advantage of the black Friday deal at Bell Forest to get some s3s Cherry.  The only problem is I don't have a planer to dimension the lumber down.  My shop isn't large enough for a full-sized planer and I've seen enough reviews to know I should steer clear of the smaller jointer-planer combos so that leaves a bench-top planer.  I'm looking at 4 models, the Porter Cable PC305TP, the Dewalt DW734, the Rikon 25-130H, and the Dewalt DW735.  Any advice or experiences with these planers would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

The DW 735 is a great machine, I don't have any experience with any of the others but don't know many people who don't like the 735. It behaves more like the large stand alone planers with the 4 post adjustments. 

I will actually go next door to my buddy's house to use his when I have something bigger or absolutely can't deal with the 1/16" of snipe my delta always gives.

I'd be inclined to stick with either of the two DeWalts....they both have some form of snipe control, that I don't think the PC has.  Dunno a thing about the Rikon.  I'd add the Ridgid R4331 to the list....it also has snipe control and is a better unit than the former R4330.  

Be be that as it may, having snipe control as a marketing ploy does not actually mean it works well. I have uses a lot of lunchbox planers and they are pretty much all the same style and mechanics as the delta I currently have.  The two post leveling head just gives too much. The 735 with 4 post control is a different beast.

Be be that as it may, having snipe control as a marketing ploy does not actually mean it works well. I have uses a lot of lunchbox planers and they are pretty much all the same style and mechanics as the delta I currently have.  The two post leveling head just gives too much. The 735 with 4 post control is a different beast.

Agreed...they do give too much, but at least those with a cutterhead lock move less IME..

+1 for DW735. Worked out of the box perfectly. Pure awesome sauce for me. I did a lot of research on it for months before realizing that unlike most products that seem to have at least 20-30% haters, there was almost noone that could speak badly of this planer without some sort of caveat of, "Well I set fire to it and dropped it in the pool in the middle of a class 5 tornado, it was 7 years out of warranty and Dewalt wouldn't give me a new one WTF never buying Dewalt again." 

I have the dw734 because they were running a special on it. I personally wanted the 735, but have regrets now one bit I get barley any snipe locked down or not. I also upgraded to the Wikey digital read out which is insanely easy to install where if I remember right you have to drill into your 735. Either way great lunchbox planners. But do get some good hearing protection cause there both screamers. Best of luck

I have the DW734 as well. Has built-in tables, is about as quiet as a jet engine, and planes boards down to thickness with little to no snipe issues. Seems like quite a few favor the little yellow monsters.

Yup, that pretty much describes my experience with the dw734 as well. I've never used the 735 though, so I wouldn't know what I'm missing.

I have the Makita 2012NB 12" lunchbox planer and have used it extensively. I chose it at the time after reading many many reviews and it has performed very well. I did add the Wixey digital readout which makes life very easy.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000051ZOO?keywords=makita 2012nb&qid=1450284123&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

There is no Byrd cutting head available for it. I did email them and they are willing to make one. However, this involves me taking apart my planer for measurements. Last time I took apart something with that many little parts I ended up with many parts left over. Who knew an electric screwdriver was that complicated?

So, my next planer will be the 735 with the Byrd head. The extra USD 429 for the head will pay for itself in a few months of usage and the end result is much nicer.

Edited by Bart
Added a bit

get the 735.  I have ran a unbelievable amount of large stock through mine. I've had it for about 15 years and have purchase only 4 sets of blades. I sharpen the blades myself.  One word of caution.  Running rough stock with just a table saw and planer is like only using three legs on a 4 legged chair.  You will either need a good hand plane and skills or a jointer.  I didn't utilize (or enjoy) my planer until I got my jointer.  Almost the best purchase (and almost the most expensive) purchase. A good jointer is where it is at with running rough stock.

On 12/22/2015 at 9:52 PM, MikeHoncho said:

get the 735.  I have ran a unbelievable amount of large stock through mine. I've had it for about 15 years and have purchase only 4 sets of blades. I sharpen the blades myself.  One word of caution.  Running rough stock with just a table saw and planer is like only using three legs on a 4 legged chair.  You will either need a good hand plane and skills or a jointer.  I didn't utilize (or enjoy) my planer until I got my jointer.  Almost the best purchase (and almost the most expensive) purchase. A good jointer is where it is at with running rough stock.

Thanks for the advice, I still haven't decided on my jointing option.  I've only worked with the lumber off the store shelves to this point in my journey.  This next project will be my first with S3S.  Will I need to joint an edge or face on S3S?  For a jointing I still haven't decided between going the hand plane route, getting a small bench-top jointer, or trying to make enough space for an entry-level floor model.