Poplar!

RichardA

My argument from the start of the thread has been about durability. Bed joints take body weight stress. Under a married couple or larger groups we are talking multiple bodies of stress. I have seen enough dents in old growth heart flooring and framing that I shy away. I never espoused hate, but would never build a bed of it. Slats and glue blocks are another matter. Drawer boxes are also fair game for me. Paint grade trim and cabinetry even can work in my flow. You need to read all comments if you want to make universal statements Pwk. 

2 minutes ago, Mike. said:

"larger groups" - what goes on there in northern indiana? :)

That made me laugh too. wait till Steve gets ahold of it!

Sorry, Shaffer, not directed at you, just 3 pages of people stomping poplar aesthetics. I dont think it looks that terrible, and the OP is trying to make some money off the build. Strength and glue bonds are a legitimate concern for a bed. Comparison between walnut and poplar

poplar http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/articles/view/pro/24/315

walnut http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/articles/view/pro/24/320

They arent that far off from one another in strength. Of course poplar suffers under the hardness test comparison, but shear strength etc is pretty similar. Just because it is soft doesnt mean it is weak. I cant imagine breaking a proper M&T joint made of 8/4 hardwood. 

On 10/10/2016 at 11:20 AM, RichardA said:

Simple, I explained everything I know about Poplar to him while he was sober!  Then I got him 3/4 of the way drunk and went through the whole thing again.  No change! 

Sounds like he has another 1/4 of the way to go.  Time go get another bottle and explain it to him again....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I agree with this.  Too bad it's

U - G - L - Y

You ain't got no alibi.

You ugly.  What?  What?  You ugly.

lol this forum cracks me up, because the moderators troll people. 

Ok, this ugly thing was making me laugh, but I had to look up the origin of it. 1986 movie? I was born 2 years too late, blast! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike. said:

"larger groups" - what goes on there in northern indiana? :)

2 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

That made me laugh too. wait till Steve gets ahold of it!

@Mike. Steve's comments are exactly why I felt I needed to acknowledge the behavior. I am happily attached, cannot justify, and cannot imagine trying to keep up with multiples. 

44 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Okay guys, this is the end of this thread.  My customer wants these two beds made out of poplar. His mind will not be changed, no matter what I say or do. And I ain't tryin that drinkin and talkin again [it hurts an old man] ! I did manage this for this build,  No stains, no oils, only polyurethane. And a written agreement that if he doesn't like the end result, I get full compensation for the build. Now that's the end of it.  When the build is complete, I will post pics... not for anyone's reaction to the wood that was chosen, but for the design and construction  Thank you for the many remarks, good and bad... But the customer is going to get exactly what he wants.    Th th thh that's all folks!

Uh, only on the third Tuesday of the week!

Post pictures of the lumber when you get it.  I'd like to see what he/you pick out, I'm assuming being that it is your wood guy he will have plenty to choose from. 

Personally, I like the variations of "character" that poplar shows. I have some poplar drink coasters that my son turned on the thing we call a lathe, they are a beautiful golden color. I made a picture frame with a poplar "matt", the poplar aged from pale & greenish to a warm yellowish brown. I found a stick of spalted poplar and used it to make keepsake box tops.

Unless I'm planning to accentuate the grain pores for some reason, I would generally choose poplar over red oak for most projects.

• 3 weeks later...