Biggest woodworking quality of life improvement?

Al Capwn

Open discussion: What technique, teaching or tool improved one of your least favorite aspects of woodworking? This falls into the "Why didn't I do/purchase this sooner!" category. Be it time saved or quality improved.

Hindsight being 20/20, if you could go back in time, what woodworking advice would you give yourself?

* Highlight of inputs listed below *

Tools & Gear

• Dust Collection
  • Hand tool utilization (Emphasis on block plane)
  • Jointer/Planer
  • Festool Domino
  • Drum Sander
  • Quality abrasives (special mention to Abranet and Klingspor)

Technique, Advice & Other

• Don't try and rush projects
  • Prioritize workspace (shop and workbench)
  • Pay more attention to mentors while they are around

8 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

1-Auto-on vac for sanders and hand held power tools at bench.

2- Hand tools for many, many different applications.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Is the first one a Green-Koolaid exclusive, or is that part of that Rockler adapter kit thing?

The second...such as acquiring a collection of hand tools for different tasks, or learning how to use hand tools for many different things? Such as the versatility of a chisel?

7 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Discovering the block plane, & other planes. And good dust collection. Block plane is probably the biggest moment though

I haven't made the block plane epiphany yet, care to elaborate what made the block plane a revelation for you? Any comparison/advantage compared to say, a smoothing plane?

18 minutes ago, RichardA said:

I did woodwork in high school... got a job in a woodshop after high school.... The pay sucked, but the learning was great.  Then I got an offer to drive, for way more money, and for the rest of my life, I'd drive, then take a break and find a woodshop, then drive again.   Retirement brought me back to what I've always loved.

do you wish you would have not went after the money and just stuck to woodworking? 

Cyclone and tons of lighting are at the top. After that I don't know if I can single out anything in particular that I would have done differently. I guess I'm batting 1000 in my own eyes. My only real regret is buying a bulk package of a crap ton of chisels, gouges, chucks, grinder with wolverine jig, and nova lathe for like $1800. I would have been much better off upgrading to a 20" planer earlier. I very rarely turn, so that's a knock on my past self. 

• Like 1

Having my own shop.  I'm 26 and we bought our house in the summer of 2014.  Before that I worked in my dad's garage or my wife's dad's garage.  Or, briefly, on the front porch of our apartment for the first two years we were married.  Seriously.  This was my "shop" three years ago:IMG_0644.JPGIMG_0645.JPG2013-12-04 18.18.16.jpg

And I'm away from the shop at the moment, but here is my Sketchup model of it, which is accurate to the point that it's ridiculous:

Garage4.jpgGarage2.jpgGarage3.jpg

So yeah.  Best advice?  Get a shop.

Garage1.jpg

• Like 2