Jet Air Filtration System

Dknapp34

Anyone own this, or a similar, unit:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/815488/jet-air-filtration-system-model-afs1000b.aspx

It's on sale now and I'm considering getting it for my basement shop. I have an Oneida 3hp cyclone, which does a pretty good job of collecting dust at the source, but there's no way to completely eliminate the fine stuff from getting in the air, so I thought this might be a good addition. Especially since I'm in a basement. 

There has been debate back and forth.  Personally.  I will be hanging one in my shop at some point because it makes me feel better.  It may not be doing as much as someone would hope in a perfect world but the illusion of it being more safe is worth a couple hundred bucks to me at least. 

I've got a shopfox one that is identical. I run it whenever I'm using power tools and I let it continue running, using the timer, after I leave. It doesn't seem to catch a lot of dust, but every bit helps. My shop is now set up to directly kick air from my dust collector outside and I still generally wear a dust mask. I'm just trying to stay safe, I want to be doing this hobby a long time.

24 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I understand from reading that box store filters don't fit it and Jet filters are expensive. Where do you get yours?

Ken, I have box store 12 x 24 x 1 filters in it.  (for the front / first filter)  It's that inside windsock-style filter I don't know how I'll replace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have this exact unit as well.  Like others have said I run it while working and let it run after I am done. The filter definitely capture a ton of dust as I clean it often.  Some have argued that it just keeps the dust circulating in the air and that they only run it after they are done for the day.  I think placement might have an impact... I have mine placed near the ceiling on the long side of one of my walls... my amateur theory is that it creates a circular air pattern in the shop and thus captures dust more effectively.  It's likely I am completely bonkers as well :)

023 - bsxOE4c.jpg

• Like 1

I have this exact unit as well.  Like others have said I run it while working and let it run after I am done. The filter definitely capture a ton of dust as I clean it often.  Some have argued that it just keeps the dust circulating in the air and that they only run it after they are done for the day.  I think placement might have an impact... I have mine placed near the ceiling on the long side of one of my walls... my amateur theory is that it creates a circular air pattern in the shop and thus captures dust more effectively.  It's likely I am completely bonkers as well

023 - bsxOE4c.jpg

Dave, you have the pj882hh? ? Is that a recent purchase? She looks all shiney and brand new.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I had the pj882hh :)  I had to sell it to support buying another tool... my blasphemous CNC.  It was a very difficult decision.  I can essentially joint with my CNC although it takes 10 times as long :)  In fact I sold numerous pieces of equipment to finance that CNC...fortunately I was able to sell most for near what I paid for them.

Jet unit is still in the same location.

4 hours ago, -MattK- said:

I understand from reading that box store filters don't fit it and Jet filters are expensive. Where do you get yours?

4 hours ago, -MattK- said:

Ken, I have box store 12 x 24 x 1 filters in it.  (for the front / first filter)  It's that inside windsock-style filter I don't know how I'll replace.

Menards has the 12X24X1 at my store, as for the sock thing inside i blow it out with a leaf blower as best as i can and then take a garden hose to it and let it dry, any other suggestions would be welcome.

• Thanks 1

I had a shop built version and could never tell a difference in airborne or accumulating dust, so I took it apart.  The big box off my ceiling really opened up my space.  I'm not totally sold on their effectiveness.  A guy on Craigslist has been trying to sell his Jet for $200 for a couple months now, and that is tempting...I do think my shop made version was under powered.

I have that model and am very happy with how it works.  I still always use the poor dust collection that I have and a mask, but the Jet AFS does a great job cleaning the air in the shop afterwards.

Mine is mounted near a side wall like @SplinteredDave, for exactly the same reason - to try to create a circular air flow.

When I first got it, I made some cuts on the table saw without dust collection and then turned off all the lights in my shop except for a small task light.  You could see tons of dust in the air.  I turned on the Jet and checked back like 20 minutes later.  Zero dust in the air.  In my 3-car garage which is half-shop, with definitely sub-optimal air flow possibilities (lots of tall things in the garage, like my mobile clamp / lumber rack which effectively puts a wall in a weird place.

I use the Jet AFS whenever I use power tools and use the timer to let it run afterwards.  I use it before I apply any finish.  I've noticed a real reduction in dust nibs in my finish.

My dust collection setup is totally insufficient, so I had a lot more airborne junk than I should have.  The Jet AFS cleans up afterwards, not during.

I haven't had it long enough to have to change the filters yet.

I have the Jet unit. It does a damn good job. I was flattening the wasteboard on my CNC today. Think about how fun spinning a 1" whiteside straight bit and milling away 1/16" of MDF. DUST EVERYWHERE! I can't finish making that dust shoe fast enough.

This is what my pre filter looked like after just 35 minutes to flatten the wasteboard. The inner sock will get cleaned tomorrow. 

dust.jpg

579473bf92a3211f9efccc346e07f94d.jpg

Can you tell I use mine a lot? Unplugged. I am trying to get my small shop together but once I do it will be on all the time while I am in the shop. As others have said, there are several opinions on either side, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to use. Mask is the best option... just brush your teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

As someone with a non-standard furnace plenum in my home right now, I will tell you to read specs carefully. Sizes range widely from published labels. You may find many labeled 12x24 that will fit and many that will not. This can lead to negative net posts as people become frustrated. Just make sure to measure the exact opening before shopping. All of the filters you can buy should have a label on them or their bulk box with the exact dimensions. This has been such a frustration for consumers that Amazon now seems to require this write up in the product description. Hope this is helpful as visiting your local box store may be a roll of the dice regarding availability. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2017 at 9:46 AM, K Cooper said:

Ronn, I have one as well, for a short time now. I understand from reading that box store filters don't fit it and Jet filters are expensive. Where do you get yours?

I haven't bought a replacement yet.  So far just cleaning (vacuum) the original.  But I am far over due for a new one.  I have not researched the price yet.  Sorry.

On 1/7/2017 at 9:46 AM, K Cooper said:

Ronn, I have one as well, for a short time now. I understand from reading that box store filters don't fit it and Jet filters are expensive. Where do you get yours?

Cooper, I apologize,  My unit is a Rikon, not a Jet.  You did give me the kick in the pants. tho, to get a replacement filter.  $9.95 or so on Amazon. Not bad.  https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-75007-Outer-Filter-AF4000/dp/B00O1N3INI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1483914977&sr=8-2&keywords=replacement+air++filters+for+rikon.

Made by Powertec.  Seems to fit several makes and models. The size of the filter is 421 x 241 x 45 mm ( about 16 1/2" x 9 5/8"). 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

So does anybody have any thoughts on the IST filter (Inner Sock Thingy)?  

My Jet afs 1000 outer filter is already starting to get visibly dirty.  The inner filter will last longer, but eventually will need attention.

Are people cleaning and reusing these?  Or if replaceing, who's got the best deal?  And how bad are you letting it get?