CNC discussion space.

Mark J

I think the forum could benefit from a room for CNC discussion.  I may not be ready to go that way, but I would like to learn vicariously about these things.  And I think that CNC is enough of a different animal that it deserves discussion space outside of, say Power Tools.

• Like 2

What about laser cutting and engraving?  Ran into a guy who has recently aquired a machine - has started doing some 3D stacked paper art but also doing some wood engraving.  I was thinking about that as an addition to either the top of jewelry boxes or some message/saying engraved on the inside of a box lid?  Looks like to you take just about any text, or graphic, or picture and replicate burning into wood (or about any other material)

Anyone have experience with those?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Sequestering all the computer based wood machining crowd in a separate room sounds good !

LOL

While not really my thing I find it fascinating and love to learn what it can do unfortunately my lack of patience with computers will probably keep me from ever owning one.

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

( not sure it qualifies as woodworking)

if you make it with wood, or use it on wood it definitely is. You can call it a router shaping jig if that makes you more comfortable.

I'm definitely in for this. Currently building one of my own as well.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Llama said:

Arguing if your router follows a jig vs a router following code is just silly. 

Feel free to show when I've ever argued that. You'll be looking a while.

What I quoted was that if you make it with wood or use wood on it it is woodworking.

58 minutes ago, Llama said:

15 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Feel free to show when I've ever argued that. You'll be looking a while.

What I quoted was that if you make it with wood or use wood on it it is woodworking.

lol man... In a CNC thread, you split hairs about what is and what isn't woodworking and it isn't about CNC?

The post you quoted was in response to a comment about CNC not being woodworking.

I think the CNC folks should have a room to share ideas. I don't have a CNC and probably never will - though I'd sure like to have one, just don't have the room for it. The forum is growing and if there is a need for a room for CNC enthusiasts then I count that as a positive.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

I don't think it's spitting hairs pushing back on an extremely board statement I find totally laughable but if so, then it's splitting hairs and I'll accept being the splitter

If “board” should read “broad” then I agree hence my limitation to semantics. I was trying to clarify, not chase the goose further.