For those with Paolini rules

estesbubba

I've got 2 of the 6" aluminum ones from the very first batch, one inch, one metric.  They ride in my cargo pockets every day since June 2013. None of the corners are sharp enough to damage the fabric. I like the 1/8" thickness and the red/ white measurements. I haven't played with a stainless one , but sometimes glare off other stainless rules makes reading it hard in certain lighting conditions. 

• Like 1

I have the 8" stainless and was tempted to buy a 6" or 12" but decided that 1 was enough. I like the SS one i don't find it hard to read at all, it has a nice matte finish. I do like that the stainless doesn't dent or bend like aluminium does. I dropped my 24" woodpeckers ruler from about 24" and the corner is dented. I had to sand the corner down after it got a bit bent out of shape. Now i don't recommend dropping items on concrete and i try really hard not to but some times $@*# happens.

The reason i'm holding off is because for the money i'd rather have the 36" ruler for the table saw than another small ruler. I have a 12" PEC square and a couple 6" double squares. Filling holes instead of doubling up.

6" and I much prefer the stainless something about the red is hard for me to read. wdwerker brought them to my attn and it has replaced my other rule as the go to, always in my apron. In fact I ordered a 2nd one so I have a back up just in case tragedy strikes and this one gets ruined somehow.

Does anybody know why they market some of there items this way?  They make a few things I wouldn't mind owning but they make you order them when they want not when the customer wants it.  And if you do order it you still have to wait months to get it.   Just seems like an odd business model.

55 minutes ago, Chet said:

Does anybody know why they market some of there items this way?  They make a few things I wouldn't mind owning but they make you order them when they want not when the customer wants it.  And if you do order it you still have to wait months to get it.   Just seems like an odd business model.

To keep costs down. They don't have to do market research to figure out how many to build, they don't have to store inventory, and they don't have to keep a production line ready to go to build more each month, set it up once and go, tear it all down and devote the valuable space on the manufacturing floor to something else.  If you can convince  (aka "con") your customers into dealing with this setup, it's really great for the bottom line.

• Like 1

Funny thing is I do have this and use it on several different rules which seems to do everything the OTT does except as a height gauge. I might have just saved myself some money...

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=53825&cat=1,42936,50298,53825

And I have this which I use the crap out of it.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=32598&cat=1,42936,42945,32598

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

What is so great about them that separates them from a double square for layout?  The notch at the end for a pencil?  The measurements on the tip? 

Ahhh i'm kind of struggling with this. Mike posted above a really good option from lee valley with the ruler stop and a ruler your at $28 so good savings over the Paloni. I have used the height gauge on the paloni a few times. Just as many times i've used this to set blade heights. I think that the PEC double 6 is probably the best value. I like mine.

56 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

To keep costs down. They don't have to do market research to figure out how many to build, they don't have to store inventory, and they don't have to keep a production line ready to go to build more each month, set it up once and go, tear it all down and devote the valuable space on the manufacturing floor to something else.  If you can convince  (aka "con") your customers into dealing with this setup, it's really great for the bottom line.

All this is true, but having this OTT offered for the 5th time seems stupid to me.  It is obviously an item that sells, so why not offer all the time.  For other items I don't mind the OTT philosophy, just the wait, and they hit there target 1 out of 10 times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Ahhh i'm kind of struggling with this. Mike posted above a really good option from lee valley with the ruler stop and a ruler your at $28 so good savings over the Paloni. I have used the height gauge on the paloni a few times. Just as many times i've used this to set blade heights. I think that the PEC double 6 is probably the best value. I like mine.

I to, have 3  6" double squares, but for the life of me I can only find 2 of them.  Maybe one walked.  And I bought mine from Harry to.

4 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

What is so great about them that separates them from a double square for layout?  The notch at the end for a pencil?  The measurements on the tip? 

Nothing at all. Like is said, I got ripped off. They are great quality rulers and the stops great but the price is cray cray. This is coming from a guy with 25k in Festool LOL

I just checked my bill from June of 2016 when I ordered these. The set of 3 cost me 184.70$. !!!!!

• Haha 1

I have a few of them but, admit that I usually reach for my Epstein squares rather than these.  They just never seemed to work into my flow.  I suppose if I forced myself to grab them first, they'd probably work themselves in..  

Another item on my "I need to" list.. ;)