Fixing a junked up corner

Chet

12 minutes ago, curlyoak said:

What happened to the small 4 drawer unit in the first picture?  Looked like some of your good work.

It's headed for the dump.  That was slapped togather in what can be referred to as nothing less then a hurry years back out of crappy ply scraps a dab of glue and a handful of screws. :)  It severed a purpose but needs to go to the big compost heap in the sky.

32 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

Nice job!

How did you mount the female part of the dovetails to the drawers? Are them glued to the bottom?

Two screws in each end.  I wasn't sure how this is/was going to work out so I didn't want to do anything as permanent a glue at this time.  I wanted to leave removal and adjustment in the equation because I am a newb at this dovetail drawer slide thing.

• Thanks 1

My yard has both the domestic and the baltic, but the baltic is more cost effective in the long run.  All of the baltic birch is in 5 X 5 sheets which makes it easier to move around the shop.  From my understanding the 5 X 5 sheets are some kind of hold over from the aviation industry.  Some times there is a stamp on the sheets having to do with aviation but in a language that I am not familiar with.

I thought it was originally based on the lengths of clean straight trunks from the Birch logs. It's a little over 1.5 meters square.They grow Birch like we grow yellow pine trees in the south. It's a crop.  I think the highest grade is certified for structural aviation use. Some of the differences are the number of football shaped patches in the faces, although I have seen some other shaped patches. Maybe that varies by the different mills that make it ? Another thing they limit is the size and number of voids in the core, even the lower grades have very few voids. I use 30-40 sheets a year and my suppliers seem to buy from different mills on occasion.

5/8 Baltic works well with 5mm dominos to make very sturdy drawer boxes. 1/2" Baltic is a bit to thin for a 5mm Domino in my opinion. I usually have plenty of 6"-7" x 60" 1/2 Baltic scrap around if anyone needs some it's free to Forum members, picked up in Atlanta. Maybe 20 pieces currently. The grain runs in the 6" direction , still strong stuff. Great for jigs.

3 hours ago, Alan G said:

What is the corner joint detail? Do you just butt them with domino and glue?

The top and bottom of the case have rabbets on the end that the sides are glued into, all of the web frames are in dados.