Bessey Clamp Question

With my bday money I was planning on updating to some bessey clamps to help add to my collection. My gift card is to HD, so here is my issue ... 

Capture.thumb.JPG.1079f47ccb4557b38ceb767a21688bd5.JPG

I already have 4 50" and 4 24" .. however nothing in between or smaller. I was curious if it would be a good idea to pay $5 more than 50" and get some less powerful 36" Jr clamps, or just get more 50 and 24? I would think 18" is too small but maybe having like 2 of those would be beneficial for rare occasions??

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that it depends on what you'll be building. Have you found a need for shorter clamps in the past? If so, then the 18" might be the way to go. The longer clamps can do the work of smaller clamps but it sure is hard to stretch those short clamps when you're needing long ones. Not much help am I? :huh:

3 minutes ago, Keggers said:

My thoughts are that it depends on what you'll be building. Have you found a need for shorter clamps in the past? If so, then the 18" might be the way to go. The longer clamps can do the work of smaller clamps but it sure is hard to stretch those short clamps when you're needing long ones. Not much help am I? :huh:

haha, ya its tough ... I have found myself needing a 25" clamp quite a bit and so I am stuck with my 40" Jets. That is why I was thinking maybe something in the middle of the bigger sizes. Just not sure 4" shorter for $5 more than a 50" is actually worth it.

2 minutes ago, Chet said:

Most of my clamps are Jet ranging for 12" to 40" and most are 24".  But I do have 4 each of the 18 " and 24" K-Body Revo Jr.'s that probably get used just as much as the Jets. 

mainly my jets are 24-40 from the half off sales, but those seem to be no longer happening which sucks.

The newest version of the Bessey K body has several new features. More clamping pressure, head won't slide down on its own when you really don't want it to, a hex hole in the handle so you can tighten with a wrench. I think the 24" ones clamp up to 25 1/2".

The K body Jr's biggest appeal to me is weight when I go to grab more than one at a time, or need to move a clamped up assembly.

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

The newest version of the Bessey K body has several new features. More clamping pressure, head won't slide down on its own when you really don't want it to, a hex hole in the handle so you can tighten with a wrench. I think the 24" ones clamp up to 25 1/2".

The K body Jr's biggest appeal to me is weight when I go to grab more than one at a time, or need to move a clamped up assembly.

:)

Don't like juniors. Based on what you have and the work I do First on my list would be the 18's. But when the cash flow was right and you can visualize a need for a project, get the 50's. I have and like the jorgenson ponies. I have a few pipes different lengths and a couple of female connectors. I know they closed for business so Bessy is quality.

2 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I've got 6 -12" Bessey Jr's. They usually all get used before the 12" K body's do. Seems like you can never have enough shorter length clamps to me.

Likewise, my 6" and 12" disappear quickly.

I'm sure they work. Bessy  is a good brand. I have and use a lot my short jorgenson pony pipe clamps. My shortest is around 12" and graduate from there. I also have several jorgensons on a heavy rail. 8 of them. Not complaining but I got several clamps second hand so cheap there was no reason to consider alternatives. They were jorgensons and when I got more it was better to have them match. The rail clamps were also too cheap to say no.

• Like 1

The only problem with clamps that are longer than you need is when the excess bar gets in the way.  I have cut a few clamps down to 18" when I couldn't get that size in the type of clamp I was after.  Like cutting fence rails on a tablesaw, there is always the fear of wanting that length back.  With clamps though you can always add longer ones if actually required later.

• Like 2

I have drilled a few of the bars on my oldest Bessey K body clamps. The new ones have the hole and it works with a joining plate to make a longer clamp when needed. Burned up a cheap bit and had to buy a true quality bit to get the job done. Clamp bars are made of pretty hard steel. Use slow speed & lube , sawzall or hacksaw not a jig saw. Slow drill speed too, it's easy to burn up a good bit.

• Like 1

I was curious so I looked to see what they sell for and who carries them . Guess who has them at a great price ?

https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=Dubuque+

Has anyone tried their wooden cam action deep reach clamps ? I find myself wanting a deep throat clamp that isn't huge & heavy. I wonder what kind of pressure the 16" ones develop.

I was curious so I looked to see what they sell for and who carries them . Guess who has them at a great price ?
https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=Dubuque+
Has anyone tried their wooden cam action deep reach clamps ? I find myself wanting a deep throat clamp that isn't huge & heavy. I wonder what kind of pressure the 16" ones develop.

I have seen the Dubuque name thrown around a few times. What makes them so good? ... just curious cause I don’t know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/24/2018 at 10:03 AM, bushwacked said:

I have seen the Dubuque name thrown around a few times. What makes them so good? ... just curious cause I don’t know

They are a heavier gauge than a lot of others.  The Rocklers are also pretty hefty and for a bit more money you get the "big foot" option.  With the Jorgies gone these two seem to be the focus of conversation on this format of clamp.  To keep your dollars supporting an American company, Debuque is one of the few left.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2018 at 12:03 PM, bushwacked said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're just like the ones from Harbor Freight, except made properly.  No flexing, super smooth action.  Use wise, they're like a light weight pipe clamp.  I wish they had a deeper grip, they won't completely replace parallel clamps or f-style clamps, but I could see them becoming my primary clamp from here on out.  I just need to buy more.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...