Charity Build

Dknapp34

28 minutes ago, lewisc said:

That serving board looks awesome. Any pics on the build? 

Im assuming epoxy for the serving board?

Thanks! Unfortunately, I didn't really take any pics during the build. I forgot to mention that, to get the compound angles right, I used a setup block that I saw in an episode of Rough Cut with the original Tommy Mac. It took a while to get my head around it, but once I did, it was actually pretty easy. 

I used the dark brown Titebond for the sides of the serving board (which is my new favorite glue for walnut), but the brass pins were epoxied in place.

Beautiful work, i love the bras and walnut together. I did a walnut brass and cherry stand thing a while ago and it all looks great together.

10 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Nice paddle !  50 shades crowd will bid that up. 

I hear there are a lot of redheads in that crowd....;)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, K Cooper said:

After going back and taking another admiring look at the pics and rereading the post, I realize the lighter colored wood is brass. Are these brass bar stock that you epoxied into grooves? That’s darn cool.

Yup. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

How do you sand the piece with the brass insert?  Or do you have to completely sand the wood before inlaying the brass?

I sanded after the brass bar stock was epoxied into the dado. Brass is soft so as long as you are careful about keeping even pressure with the ROS, it sands at the same rate as the wood. After sanding to 320 with the ROS, I went up to 1500 grit hand sanding to give the brass some shine. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Dknapp34 said:

Yup. Thanks!

I sanded after the brass bar stock was epoxied into the dado. Brass is soft so as long as you are careful about keeping even pressure with the ROS, it sands at the same rate as the wood. After sanding to 320 with the ROS, I went up to 1500 grit hand sanding to give the brass some shine. 

Sanding to a higher grit on the drum sander could look really cool. It wouldn't have the polished look but more of the brushed look.

That serving trey..... man that is a cool piece of wood.

30 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Sanding to a higher grit on the drum sander could look really cool. It wouldn't have the polished look but more of the brushed look.

That serving trey..... man that is a cool piece of wood.

I'm not afraid to admit it...I love crotch.