Some pretty fantastic redwood.

drzaius

6 minutes ago, ..Kev said:

Beautiful slab!  I personally hate the hare pin legs as they scream "too lazy to build a base" but, the wood is gorgeous!

He's a food guy he ain't got time to make no stinking legs :)

...But I do agree they are a little thin for such a large slab...having said that the figure as amazing

• Like 1

Wow, now that is some awesome redwood. I'd have been tempted to hand it on the wall and call it art.

9 hours ago, Mick S said:

On a more imaginative vein, what would you do for a base?

Something Nakashima style, any time i see live edge i think of his work. That or a very light looking trestle.

• Like 1

Nakashima style inspired furniture I found online by Woodland Creek Furniture. Something like this would really do proper honors to that gorgeous redwood slab.  He could even use a different wood for the legs & framework & then showcase sections of the redwood as the panels.

0CB090B3-A31F-4478-A92E-AE78BB82B66E-9497-00000BCD10CE6CA3.thumb.jpeg.584dbae65a80fc39af79cd4313824508.jpeg

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, they were inspired by a master, you can be inspired by both of them !

32 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

I'd build no base for it. I'd prolly glue that slab to the ceiling, right over my bed.

I'm afraid that would have the opposite than desired effect.. distractions and all.

17 hours ago, Mick S said:

On a more imaginative vein, what would you do for a base?

I love what Steve posted below and I could see something to that nature but I'm seeing WHITE hard Maple. Lightest that can be found.  I do feel like the base should be obscure enough to not be boring but complex enough to Fit with that EyeGasm of a table top, it just needs to be able to disappear when you focus on the top.

3 hours ago, Tom Crawford said:

Redwood is a Very soft wood so unless that finish is epoxy it will get dented with use.  

Normal use.. They call that slow antiquing these days... 

Now seeing as redwood is pretty soft and will bend, that thing looks 6/4 at best. I'm thinking they have to have a few long rails of some sort... Hoping I guess..

Well, as it turns out, he has nothing but the legs supporting the slabs & one of the benches broke in half when he sat on it. With all that crazy grain, it's easy to see why that would happen without a structural base. What a shame. He ought to join this forum & get some ideas for repairing & rebuilding it.

Image may contain: shoes

• Sad 2