Sapele Sideboard

Geoffrey

Thank you, all!

For most pieces, I put a small cup hook in the end and use that as a handle while wiping on varnish, then hang the piece on the garage door track to dry. It lets me varnish both sides at the same time and keeps the pieces out of the way. The long shelves have a bigger hook and hang off the bracket on the ceiling that supports the garage door track. No chance of the garage door opening, as it is locked shut. :)

Well, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times. I saved the four 5/4 boards that I thought had the most attractive figure for the top.

IMG_0469.thumb.jpg.e1a42cd4467ffe77852b1ed4e301d9d6.jpg

Since I only have a 6-inch jointer, it was the planer sled to the rescue.

IMG_0470.thumb.jpg.f83d82e129830787bf66430131a9ccdd.jpg

Each board took a couple passes to flatten the top, then went through without the sled to bring them down to 1.1" thickness. The result looked pretty good. 

IMG_0472.thumb.jpg.e6aca12c313917c9e30d235accab224e.jpg

Sadly, the second board from the left has a check in one side that goes all the way through. 

IMG_0473.thumb.jpg.14c0928a0f047cb7c98e461662ae4a71.jpg

And the rightmost has a split along the grain. 

IMG_0474.thumb.jpg.d5a0a5dfd604945f61e4211a58ee3606.jpg

I wanted to start jointing and gluing up the top panel, so I was tempted to just go ahead and hope for the best. Maybe even try my first attempt with epoxy? First, though, I decided to come inside, have some tea, and think about it. After mulling it over, I think these will be beautiful boards for a future project (there are many on the list) where I can use them for smaller parts and cut around the defects. So, looks like a trip to the lumberyard is in store for Saturday. They are even having a sale on exotics, including Sapele, for July. 

• Like 1

I picked up replacement 5/4 boards for the top, as well as a couple 4/4 boards for one more shelf at the lumberyard today. The weather forecast was for no rain in the morning, but of course it started raining while we were there. No pictures of boards in the pickup because I was in too much of a hurry to get them inside. Since they got wet, I'll hold off on milling them for a couple days.

I did get back to the doors, though. I gave the door rails and stiles their last sanding at 220, let the air cleaner run a bit, and then put on their first coat of varnish. There's 24 more pieces for the drying rack.

IMG_0475.thumb.jpg.f648f1eb6eec56a287149d1bcf7d311a.jpg

I think I'll glue up the doors next, before applying the remaining coats of varnish. The one coat should give me some insurance against glue squeeze-out, so I should be safe.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There are times I think about how nice it would be to make a Roubo. Fine tuning the doors to fit is making today one of those times. I have the guild Roubo project, but I think I'd really like to go to a class for a week and benefit from the experience, assistance, and large jointer there. 

My current workbench holds pieces flat very nicely for power tools. The more I have started using planes, though, the more I would really like a leg vise. In the meantime, a couple clamps on the outfeed table will do the trick. 

IMG_0478.thumb.jpg.4c1af16e4812a93d05e382fc7b537384.jpg

• Like 1