Mission end tables

Damon777

1 hour ago, treeslayer said:

Looks like a great start Damon and welcome to the forum, your work shows that a person doesn’t need a shop full of tools to do fine work, but get the checkbook ready it’s quite a deep and fun hole to throw money at. 

I assure you I have a shop full of tools. Either they didn't get used on this project, are in need of restoration, or I don't have them yet. (jointer).

I'm just learning how to use them effectively now.

• 4 weeks later...

The table are looking great.  

When using a router to make your mortise you might give rounding the ends of the tenons a try instead of squaring up the mortises.  You have some through mortises on your current project and obviously you want them square.  But if they are not through you might give rounding the tenons a try.  I find it a little faster and they don't have to be as exact as squaring up the Mortise.

I have to ask... what is the forklift for? :huh:

2 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

Love the ingenuity of making do with what you have. Although, you have a forklift and dont have a full size plunge router?! I have 4+ routers, but no forklift, and i could have REALLY used a forklift for most of my tools i have. Moving 1500-2000lb stuff sucks. 

I do have a couple of full size routers, but no plunge bases for either. I plan to install one in a soon-to-be built router table. If I had that built, I would have cut the mortises on that.

2 hours ago, Chet said:

The table are looking great.  

When using a router to make your mortise you might give rounding the ends of the tenons a try instead of squaring up the mortises.  You have some through mortises on your current project and obviously you want them square.  But if they are not through you might give rounding the tenons a try.  I find it a little faster and they don't have to be as exact as squaring up the Mortise.

I have to ask... what is the forklift for? :huh:

I was cutting the tenons on the table saw, and snuck up on the sizes. In the future I will probably round the tenons, but I wanted to try and square my holes up this time. Why? Chisel practice on holes unseen, I guess..

As far as the forklift is concerned, I initially was looking for a US made engine hoist to move my big machines around during their restorations and such. I stumbled across the forklift during that search, for not a whole lot more money. Now if I am ever going to haul heavy or big stuff home in the truck, I toss a pallet in for easy unloading. It's pretty awesome to slide sheet goods off the truck onto the forks. I use it way more than I thought I would.

1 hour ago, Damon777 said:

In the future I will probably round the tenons, but I wanted to try and square my holes up this time. Why? Chisel practice on holes unseen, I guess..

Absolutely nothing wrong with developing new skills.  There are times when you will be glad you can do both.

Tables are looking great. I really dig the A&C/mission style, it's simple and timeless but offers a lot of room for embellishment.

That is a good place to develop skills. Honestly rounding isn't worth the time chop the tenon narrow enough to fit and leave the rounded mortise sections empty they don't contribute noteworthy strength to the glue up.

I am debating tapering the legs slightly under the shelf. Just on the inside corners (AKA square on the outside corner).

The plan I am working from has a curve on the bottom of the bottom rails, but I am eliminating that. I am thinking the leg taper may lighten the bottom slightly. I have a couple of spare legs without mortises I can try it on to see how it looks.

18 minutes ago, Damon777 said:

I am debating tapering the legs slightly under the shelf.

Go ahead and mock it up and see what you thing, but I think they look good the way they are.  I think the taper will take away from the mission style.