good miter gauges that aren't Incra?

Robert Morse

So I pulled the trigger and bought a new SawStop today... While I'm waiting for delivery, I'm trying to get all my accessories sorted out, and the one thing I can't find is a miter gauge I like... 

Requirements: 

• approx. 18" fence
  • Detents for common angles
  • includes flip stop(s)
  • preferably not blue (yes, that's a vanity preference, rather than a requirement)

A couple of years back, a friend had a JDS Accu-miter, which I thought was about perfect.  It seems they're no longer made. Just my luck, and he didn't want to sell it to me.  I saw a Jessem Miter gauge in someone else's shop, and I liked it too. Also discontinued. Unless anyone has leads on either of those miter gauges? <-- wishful thinking, I'm sure. 

There's a woodriver miter gauge which looks promising https://www.woodcraft.com/products/snap-set-miter-gauge-fence-combo-with-flip-stop but it doesn't have any reviews, so I'm a bit hesitant.

I've owned an Incra 5000SE and I don't like the detents on the shop stops/flip stop thingies - I'd prefer to be able to slide them smoothly on the t-track.   Seems like Osborne EB-3 is the only other game in town, right?  Any other options folks recommend, or should I just get an Incra 1000 SE?  Thanks.

Robert

I thought you already had a sweet new saw? Maybe that was something else.

Seriously though do you have to make the most limiting criteria? Everything is either Incra or blue....

I was thinking the rockier miter sled thing but that's blue. My stock powermatic miter gauge is pretty awesome but it's not 18" though it's just an aluminum extrusion so you could buy a different length. It doesn't have stock flip stops though.

Search ebay for one of these? https://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/tools/table-saw-fences/table-saw-sled-kits.html

You could get the sawstop sliding table. Hum price is getting out of hand now.

OMG - don't encourage me with Bridge City Tools stuff.  I have one of their try squares, and the ChopStick Master (my mom got those for me as a gift)  - they're incredible tools. 

I got a new Jointer/Planer with the shop, so that's the new thing you're thinking of.  I had a bit of a close call at the beginning of December, and decided that since my day job involves LOTS of typing, it would be a good investment to keep most of my fingers intact.  Hence the SawStop.  And the Wife said yes... so there you go. 

I have the Powermatic miter gauge from my PM2000, but it will go with the saw when I sell it. Looks like e-Replacement parts wants about $180 for that, so I'm leaning towards the Incra I guess. 

If the detent tracks (is there a name for these?) on the Incra are the only thing you didn't like about it, I'd suggest the Incra. :P

The tracks on the Incra are just held on with some screws. It should be pretty easy to replace those with some other strip of plastic or wood.

I have a 1000HD and the detents do annoy me sometimes, but the other times I like them, so I haven't tried to swap mine out yet.

• Like 1

Sell your saw without it and say you lost it......? I'm sure you could find a Powermatic miter gauge some where for cheap if you liked it. If your "on the fence" about it it's probably not worth the effort.

Personally i'd keep the saw stick a dado blade it in and set it up next to your SS either side by side or as out feed. If you lived closer I'd snap that PM2000 off your hands right now and let you keep the miter gauge. There are never good used cabinet saws for sale around here. Always some moron on trying to sell a rusted out 30 year old PM66 for more than a PM2000 costs new these days.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c31705bfa1b2b3b94636770f574ce83d.jpg

I removed the toothed rails from my Incra extrusion BUT, I added some blue stuff :o!!!!  My reason is that I need many things in my small shop to do double duty.  I use these Rockler stops on the drill press and the router table so I just adapted the Incra to my needs.

Incra v-27 mod (1).JPG

I also added the little sacrificial "flag" which slips into the extrusion and is held by a screw through a convenient hole that was already there.  I replace these as required and have them for various cuts, bevel and miter positions.

418845424_5X5Frame(9).jpg.2447466604f7a4beada4f602a9693dfc.jpg

Sorry . . . more blue stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

What about this guy. Not sure how i missed it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8V7D7K/ref=psdc_552942_t1_B002KHNMEC

Yeah, that's the one that only had limited reviews. 

Gee-Dub, I like the modifications you made, especially the sacrificial bits that slip into the end. 

Thanks for all the inputs, folks. 

Robert

Too bad they don't make the Accumiter gauge anymore. I have one that I got 30 years ago. It is one of the best purchases I ever made. 

Isn't the miter gauge that comes with the Sawstop pretty good? I thought I remember it having good indexing. Adding a decent fence to it and you would be good to go. 

12 hours ago, ..Kev said:

Sorry, I wouldn't spend 50 cents with Rockler if they were my very last option!  Worst shipping and communication I've seen from a company!  To boot, you can usually find items much cheaper on Amazon!

I'm surprised to hear about your experience with Rockler.  I've ordered from them probably 10-12 times over the past year, and not a single hiccup.  I agree with you on pricing, at least as far as their regular prices.  Most of what I order from them is stuff that's on sale, and then they seem to be pretty competitive.

16 minutes ago, G Ragatz said:

I'm surprised to hear about your experience with Rockler.  I've ordered from them probably 10-12 times over the past year, and not a single hiccup.  I agree with you on pricing, at least as far as their regular prices.  Most of what I order from them is stuff that's on sale, and then they seem to be pretty competitive.

Believe me, I've ordered a lot from them over the years.  I've had items placed on back order a few times.  When it happened this time, I had to go to another source for what I needed and found the items to be significantly cheaper.  Shop around!

On 1/9/2019 at 7:38 AM, Chestnut said:

Sell your saw without it and say you lost it......? I'm sure you could find a Powermatic miter gauge some where for cheap if you liked it. If your "on the fence" about it it's probably not worth the effort.

Personally i'd keep the saw stick a dado blade it in and set it up next to your SS either side by side or as out feed. If you lived closer I'd snap that PM2000 off your hands right now and let you keep the miter gauge. There are never good used cabinet saws for sale around here. Always some moron on trying to sell a rusted out 30 year old PM66 for more than a PM2000 costs new these days.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c31705bfa1b2b3b94636770f574ce83d.jpg

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/tls/d/powermatic-10-table-saw/6789308688.html

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/tls/d/shell-lake-powermatic-72-table-saw/6769612376.html

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/tls/d/rogers-rockwell-unisaw-biesmeyer-fence/6780554452.html

Sorry, I had to... Actually, I should call on that unisaw, rob the fence and extension table for mine and flip it for even money with my fence installed.

1 hour ago, Damon777 said:

5hp 3 phase so you'd need to add a VFD no big deal but makes the cost closer to $2k and isn't the greatest deal any more. It is tempting though I've eyed that one a few times. The price isn't too high i just don't know how those old saws compare to the new ones. Also commercial saw.

The PM72 doesn't have a fence is 3 phase and was used commercially so it probably needs work and at least replaced bearings. I'd rather spend more and not spend 20+ hours wrenching on a tool for minimal savings after fence and VFD.

I don't search for those old uni saws because most of the time they are 3 phase or 3/4 hp or have fences that won't work with what i want to do. They aren't bad saws though.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/tls/d/farmington-table-saw/6788686009.html

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

5hp 3 phase so you'd need to add a VFD no big deal but makes the cost closer to $2k and isn't the greatest deal any more. It is tempting though I've eyed that one a few times. The price isn't too high i just don't know how those old saws compare to the new ones. Also commercial saw.

The PM72 doesn't have a fence is 3 phase and was used commercially so it probably needs work and at least replaced bearings. I'd rather spend more and not spend 20+ hours wrenching on a tool for minimal savings after fence and VFD.

I don't search for those old uni saws because most of the time they are 3 phase or 3/4 hp or have fences that won't work with what i want to do. They aren't bad saws though.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/tls/d/farmington-table-saw/6788686009.html

I love my VFD equipped 3 phase uni. I am machine dork though, and enjoy going through them.