New Table Saw

..Kev

5 minutes ago, Tom King said:

If I was buying a new one, that would be my choice too.  I keep up with this stuff so little, that I didn't know they came with digital readouts now.  What's going to be the solution to the miter bar slots in the outfeed table now?

For now, I've just lowered the OF table below the level of the slots.  One of the benefits of the OF table being built slightly low and having leveling feet.

If I run into a situation where I need the tabes dead level, I'l cut new miter slots.

16 minutes ago, RichardA said:

New music, I like the change..  I'll never own a PM saw, but I don't mind, my Griz 1023 does what I need to do. Though I do admit, I'm a tad jealous.

Nothing wrong with that Grizz machine Richard!  I nearly went that direction again!

• Like 1

Congrats on the PM Kev. You'll totally love it. In my small basement shop I stepped up to a PM Model 66 20 yrs ago and it was one of the best decisions I've made.

I'm simply a hobbyist w/a small room (1/3 the basement) and put mine on a moveable base (which I've never moved!!!). Even on the base that saw is so smooth I've balanced a nickel on edge and turned the saw on/off for some friends - who didn't believe me - and the coin never fell over! She's super smooth and extremely reliable. 3 H.P. 220v, not the bigger saw. And that fence is awesome!!

You'll love her!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeremy Gubbins said:

Congrats on the PM Kev. You'll totally love it. In my small basement shop I stepped up to a PM Model 66 20 yrs ago and it was one of the best decisions I've made.

I'm simply a hobbyist w/a small room (1/3 the basement) and put mine on a moveable base (which I've never moved!!!). Even on the base that saw is so smooth I've balanced a nickel on edge and turned the saw on/off for some friends - who didn't believe me - and the coin never fell over! She's super smooth and extremely reliable. 3 H.P. 220v, not the bigger saw. And that fence is awesome!!

You'll love her!

Thanks Jeremy and welcome to the forums!

• Like 1

I saw your video on the saw and it was top notch, as are all your others. I appreciate your YouTube channel a lot, I have reallly enjoyed it. Thank you for doing it, I know it's a lot of work.  

At the end of January I bought a new table saw.  I wanted 3hp single phase and I t came down to the 3hp SawStop PCS or the PM2000B.  I went with the PCS just because I wanted the technology, the PM is a great saw too.  My other saw was 14 years old so it had no safety features.  Now that I have been using the SS I find more "comfort" having the riving knife than knowing it has the brake technology.  

Looking forward to seeing the projects you create going forward. 

• Like 1

Very nice saw, Kev! I just bought a Powermatic tool, my first one, and I love it. Not a table saw though! I’ll be keeping my Ridgid till the end, I imagine, unless aliens lay a tractor beam on it and suck it up into the sky :)   

I have a Wixley angle gauge and I don’t use it much but when I do, it tells me my bandsaw is dead nuts square, or my TS blade is at 45 to the table, that kind of thing. Can’t be beat for those things. 

• Like 1

I have a Wixley and use it on a fairly regular basis.  My biggest complaint is that they eat batteries - I've learned to take it out when not in use.  I can't imagine how there could've been "too much error."  It has a machined square case so if you're setting it up and zeroing it correctly there should be next to no error.  I've had the tightest 45d miters and the squarest 90d cuts I've ever had since I started using mine.  Whenever I take the blade out of 90 I use the Wixley to put it back and have the closest to perfection a human could expect.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Byrdie said:

I have a Wixley and use it on a fairly regular basis.  My biggest complaint is that they eat batteries - I've learned to take it out when not in use.  I can't imagine how there could've been "too much error."  It has a machined square case so if you're setting it up and zeroing it correctly there should be next to no error.  I've had the tightest 45d miters and the squarest 90d cuts I've ever had since I started using mine.  Whenever I take the blade out of 90 I use the Wixley to put it back and have the closest to perfection a human could expect.

I've found mine to be very accurate as well but, I'm sure sometimes there's a bad one in the bunch..

16 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

True dat! I buy my batteries for shop tools in batches of two dozen or so just because of that :) 

lol..  I think the battery in mine is well over a year old...  I can't honestly remember the last time I changed it..

2 hours ago, ..Kev said:

lol..  I think the battery in mine is well over a year old...  I can't honestly remember the last time I changed it..

X2 I don’t ever recall changing them lol I should probably due that. I just had an issue with my tractor battery my mechanic brother asked how olds the battery I said a couple years. Turns out it was 8 years old...he just laughed and said that I had gotten my money’s worth out of that battery. New battery tractor runs fine :)

• Like 2

The Wixley is only speced at +/- 0.2 degrees accuracy with 0.1 degree display resolution.   Repeatability of the one I had would vary 0.1 degree by moving back and forth between the blade and table.  Whatever the actual error was  in the one I had x 8 cuts to make a jewelry box and I could easily see the gap in the mitered corner.   I am glad all y'all are getting better results than I did.   

I have 2 Wixeys - one for depth on my planer,  and angle unit for measuring tilt on my table saw.  I totally love the one on my planer - in fact it's recently gone a little bonkers on me so I need to replace the electronic part (I think).  I now realize how much I depend on it.  The magnetic angle unit for my TS I don't use as much - as mentioned, it is only so accurate and seems to tend to be a fraction of a degree off.  it's  no better to me than the gauge on the front of my table saw, so it sees far less use.   And +1 to the battery comments above - the depth unit on my planer seems to go through them frequently.