New Table Saw

..Kev

Kev - 

Sorry to hear about the issues with Powermatic. My mind had already pretty much been made up as to what table saw I was going to upgrade to when the time comes, but your dealings with this saw and its manufacturer have sealed the deal as to what ill be buying.

What do you plan to replace this saw with? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodbutcher said:

Kev - 

Sorry to hear about the issues with Powermatic. My mind had already pretty much been made up as to what table saw I was going to upgrade to when the time comes, but your dealings with this saw and its manufacturer have sealed the deal as to what ill be buying.

What do you plan to replace this saw with? 

Currently, the ball is still in PMs court.  They're sending a new motor and a guy to install it.  Hopefully that solves the last of the issues with the saw but, I'm not holding my breath!

As for the next saw, I'm not sure..  I still know I don't want the Saw Stop.  I also don't want a slider..  So, I'll do my homework and see.

3 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

Man that sucks.   That's a lot of different problems, and most of them don't even begin to make sense.

I wonder if all the problems you had with the switch had something to do with the motor, or maybe why the motor went out?   Some sort of short or something.

Certainly the motor and switch could be related but, I'll probably never know.  Regardless, all the other issues were not related to the switch.

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

With all of the documented problems, is PM refusing to replace the saw?  

This is where it gets a bit convoluted!

When I called the repair guy, he asked me to call PM so that he could get paid for the visit.

I called PM so that I could get the repair guy coming my way and explained the issue.  Over the phone they diagnosed the issue as the motor and told me that they would send a new motor to the repair guy and schedule him for an install.  At this point, I told them that I actually wanted either a refund or a replacement of the saw.  The then told me that was ACME's issue as they were the vendor.  I asked them to keep the motor coming while I explored that option as I'm currently without a saw.

I then contacted ACME and was told that they only warranty for 30 days and after that, it's PM's issue.  I've informed PM and am waiting for a response.

So, that's where that's at as of today.

3 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Sounds a lot like our last refrigerator.  They had to send a repair guy out three times, before they would replace it.

Hopefully, this will be a permanent fix.

I hope so as well!  I did get a notification today that my case has been escalated..  Whatever that means...:unsure:

40 minutes ago, ..Kev said:

I hope so as well!  I did get a notification today that my case has been escalated..  Whatever that means...:unsure:

Yea, escalated blood pressure.  With most of these tools, SawStop, PM, Grizzly etc.., being manufactured in Taiwan/China (Geetech), in the same factories, I have to wonder what the premium prices do for the consumer.  

• Like 1

Here's the latest...lol

I left a negative review on ACME about the saw and they denied the review.  Here's what I wrote.

Nothing But Problems!

Saw arrived with broken fence plates that were on back order for a month. I've had the saw nearly a year and in that time, it's had the power switch replaced twice, a new motor door, and 3 different extension tables. I finally had to flatten the table myself because the ones that PM were sending all had the same warping issue. And, the latest issue is the motor went out. Once again, PM is happy to send parts but, isn't interested in replacing the saw. ACME told me they only warranty for 30 days, PM says it's up to ACME if I want a refund. I can not recommend this saw!

-----------------------------------------

Here's their response..

"Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!"

So, take their reviews with a grain of salt!

• Haha 1

Do you mind sharing your reasons for not wanting a SawStop or a slider?

I have a SawStop, and is a fine saw. Customer service is excellent, the machine arrived from the factory dead on & has stayed that way. But if I had a different shop situation, I'd get a slider. When I got the SawStop, I was aware of the sliders, but knew one wouldn't work for me. Since then, I've learned a little more about the work process with one and could see myself selling the SS & getting one if I had just a litttle more shop space

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Do you mind sharing your reasons for not wanting a SawStop or a slider?

I have a SawStop, and is a fine saw. Customer service is excellent, the machine arrived from the factory dead on & has stayed that way. But if I had a different shop situation, I'd get a slider. When I got the SawStop, I was aware of the sliders, but knew one wouldn't work for me. Since then, I've learned a little more about the work process with one and could see myself selling the SS & getting one if I had just a litttle more shop space

I've shared my views on the SS a few times..  It's a nice saw but, ultimately, I don't want the technology.  The fact is that nearly all of the trips are around a jig too close to the blade or a piece of unseen metal in the wood and not digits.  These trips are expensive and I just don't care to keep the extra parts on hand.  I would end up running the saw in bypass mode the bulk of the time.  I also don't wish to go through the extra steps for blade changes especially considering I'd be running the saw in bypass mode.  In the end for me, it's a personal preference and I have nothing against the saw or the people that have it.

As for the slider, if I were doing more cabinet work then I would probably go that direction.  Fact is that I like my sleds and more traditional way of doing things at the table saw.

1 minute ago, K Cooper said:

I’ve only had two slight issues with my Grizz bs and jointer and they treated me like I was their only customer. If my Jet ever goes out, hopefully someday, that’s the route I will take. 

I always had good dealings with their customer service.

4 hours ago, ..Kev said:

The fact is that nearly all of the trips are around a jig too close to the blade or a piece of unseen metal in the wood and not digits.

Fair enough. I completely understand. I didn't buy the saw for the brake & even considered removing it, but wanna bet the day after I did it I'd end up sawing all my fingers off :wacko:

• Like 1