Table saw jig storage

duckkisser

So I have been in a update the shop kick where I’m adding better surface to tables, handles on drawers, band saw blade storage, mounting dust collector ect..... I have a pile of tablesaw jigs that I use every great while  but still really useful and don’t want to throw out like spline jig, table saw sled, box joint maker raised panel jig, and sacrificial fence as well as the usual table saw assessories.  How do you guys store these things in your shop?

I try to limit the number of permanent jigs lying around. I'll clamp pieces together fir a jig if that gets be by, screw them together if it doesn't. I have a crosscut sled, and a straight-line or taper ripping sled that get used a lot. My miter sled is collecting cobwebs, it may be the next thing cannibalized for materials.

I have a cabinet that is under the right side of my table saw and it holds my blades and small jigs and feather boards along with push sticks and grippers.  On the right side of that cabinet I mounted a couple of dowels that I hang my miter gage on.  My cross cut sled is the Incra Miter 5000 and it hangs on the wall about 7 feet behind my back if I am facing the table saw.  Even though I have and really like the Incra sled I kept my other sled because every once in a while it is better for a particular operation.  I store it in a slot that is between my outfield table and the cart my planer is on.

15 hours ago, Mick S said:

I hang a lot of them on the walls, but I'm running out of space. Looking forward to hearing other solutions.

Yep.  My other problem is that I forget to label what I used it for and when I find it again I'm like, "OMG, what did I make that for?"  ( I don't really talk like that)

12 hours ago, RichardA said:

I'm with Mick.  My walls close to the TS are full.  I need to add another building just for stuff that I only use occasionally.

I'm fortunate to have both an adjacent garage and a separate storage room that I can use for the occasionally used jigs and fixtures.

8 hours ago, Ronn W said:

Yep.  My other problem is that I forget to label what I used it for and when I find it again I'm like, "OMG, what did I make that for?"  ( I don't really talk like that)

I keep a Sharpie in my shop apron for just that.

On the outfeed table are my hybrid mortising jig (so named because it has elements of the Philip Morley jig and the FW/Derek Cohen jig), my dado sled, small sled, and the white melamine protrusion to the left is my vacuum press platen that's stored under the outfeed table top. The small sled is stored under the table, the dado sled hangs above my clamp rack in the corner and the mortising fixture gets moved around so it's out of the way, usually on the opposite corner of the table from where it is now.

On the wall above my sander is my veneer clamp.

IMG_05204.thumb.jpeg.10b7cf2224502fb09c6a4049413b0824.jpeg

IMG_05155.thumb.jpeg.89fdfac9d27acfe90a316c18a80e5637.jpeg

Above the clamp rack is a Darrell Peart drawer clamp (excellent!), my large sled, Kreg pocket screw jig, my table saw dovetail fixtures, below the sawblades is the FW Incredible Fence system (used frequently), and various odds and ends.

IMG_05163.thumb.jpeg.30f2b9f9fc4c3ef244c7e0f9d7d7091f.jpeg

I need to put up some panelling under the mini split so that space will be usable.

IMG_05172.thumb.jpeg.983b9c6f2c87695b6ee00f6af115d5b7.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 6/8/2019 at 4:23 PM, Chestnut said:

I don't have a solution but I'm interested in how other people accomplish this. I have multiple miter gauges and a sled that are always in the way.

More and more I have come to rely on rare earth magnets for storing things like miter gauges. They are strong as can be and allow me to store miter gauges right on the machine (I have several). So my bandsaw, table saw and router table each have a dedicated miter gauge and I stick them right on the machine or the stand. They also work great for router and table saw wrenches, collets, riving knives, and other magnetic accessories. 

For sleds, I don't have a great solution. Many of my smaller jigs live on top of bank of upper wall cabinets. some hang on the wall. My larger sleds seem to end up wherever I can put them where I am not constantly tripping over them. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2019 at 9:04 AM, Doug Carlson said:

More and more I have come to rely on rare earth magnets for storing things like miter gauges.

The one issue that I forgot to mention is that the magnets often stick to the miter gauge when I pull it off to use it. Sometime I afix the magnet to the machine with a little polyurethane foaming glue to keep this from happening because it is annoying. 

Sleds  get used so often they lean on the dust collector To the right of the tablesaw operator position.

57c032aab5a68_BoxSled(14).jpg.779856ac2858f49d9b8498b61fae5565.jpg

Other jigs kind of stack library books style on a raised platform tilted back towards the wall about 3°. This is nothing that allows quick and easy access but it does allow me to pile a lot of jags and a small footprint.

• 2 months later...