Walnut office furniture

curlyoak

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, curlyoak said:

Here are the pulls provided by the client

Wow, there's no accounting for taste.

1 hour ago, curlyoak said:

In my eye, the stain makes it look like a non stained piece 20 years old.

But does walnut not lighten with age? I've seen antique walnut furniture that is darn near blonde.

• Like 1

Looks good!

Continuous grain is a big thing to woodworkers, but most non-woodworkers don’t really care. You can point it out to them and they will feign interest (“oh, neat.”), but will then revert their attention to whatever they were looking at before. 

You’ll find one here or there that do appreciate it, but they probably won’t want the piece stained either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnG said:

Continuous grain is a big thing to woodworkers, but most non-woodworkers don’t really care. You can point it out to them and they will feign interest (“oh, neat.”), but will then revert their attention to whatever they were looking at before

You are so right. Sometimes I have a wide board to dress and is wider than my 8" jointer to make the first reference for the thickness planer. Sometimes I take the lumber to a friendly shop that allows me a few minutes on their jointer. Other times I may use a hand plane to clean it up. And to the point of nobody knows, I will rip the wide board, plane it and glue it back together. Can't tell. And so many other things we may be concerned about. But we still persist.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...