Black Friday Deals

Chestnut

It seems like the black Friday deals this year aren't as good as previous years. It seems like this every year though. Not sure if that's because prices are getting more competative every day so the deals can't be as good or if there is something else at play.

Any one notice something similar or different?

I think the idea has gotten old.  Retailers are seeing that you can only get so many people to line up in the cold (or try to be the first to click on line), so there's a natiral limit to how many consumers you can reach, and simultaneously the number of consumers anxious to play along decreases every year.  

Black Friday is a phenomenon that gets the populace worked up into such a frenzy that most have no idea if they're getting a bargain or not. Particularly with consumer electronics, almost every price that looks really good turns out to be a low end model that is so horrible that nobody would buy it any other time. The whole thing is sick.

But as I say this, I'm buying some Milwaukee batteries that genuinely are a good deal B)

• Like 1

It’s generally a few good deals buried under hundreds of mediocre-at-best deals (but marketed as good deals). If you are watching the price of items throughout the year, BF is not often the cheapest. 

TWWG 40% off is a good one. I also extended my Adobe CC photography plan. Otherwise I haven’t seen any deals that seem worthwhile. 

This is the Canadian market I'm talking here. The 9 AH batteries were $129 each & the 5 AH were $74.50 each, including delivery. I'm constantly watching battery prices & these are the best by far that I've found, a bit over half the regular street price. They are Milwaukee M18.

I stayed away from most of the black friday stuff today.  The ads for the big store pretty much had nothing exciting.  Little bit less margin for them to play with.  Only big store things I bought were four more of the 12" JBL subwoofers from BestBuy that I've been using in projects.  They did the $30 each sale on them again starting last weekend on line. So I just ordered them. I wasn't going to fight the store for them.  

I did go by Woodworker's Source though today for their sale.  They had all lumber at least 25% off so I went to get the wood for my next project. While there I ended up picking up some clamps too.  They had the 2 pack of 12" Jet parallel clamps for $41 so I grabbed 2 boxes of them.  Unfortunately they had already sold out of the 24" and 30" ones or I would have bought some more.  

11 hours ago, NSBrad said:

I stayed away from most of the black friday stuff today.  The ads for the big store pretty much had nothing exciting.  Little bit less margin for them to play with.  Only big store things I bought were four more of the 12" JBL subwoofers from BestBuy that I've been using in projects.  They did the $30 each sale on them again starting last weekend on line. So I just ordered them. I wasn't going to fight the store for them.  

I did go by Woodworker's Source though today for their sale.  They had all lumber at least 25% off so I went to get the wood for my next project. While there I ended up picking up some clamps too.  They had the 2 pack of 12" Jet parallel clamps for $41 so I grabbed 2 boxes of them.  Unfortunately they had already sold out of the 24" and 30" ones or I would have bought some more.  

I haven't been seeing the jet clamp sale as many places as it used to be. I was going to buy 4 this year to fill my clamp rack but there aren't any locally. Rockler has the sale on their website but nothing in store.

I'm not trying to ba humbug the sales. I kinda like the idea of having a competitive price all year and not having flash sales like this. That way i can buy when is convenient for me and not have to constantly be worried about getting a bad deal.

14 minutes ago, Chet said:

Hey Drew, I thought i saw something about free shipping at Rockler.  Jet sure doesn't run Black Friday clamp ads like the used to.  I bought most of my Jet clamps at 50% off on Black Friday about 5 years ago.

The clamps are an exception to the free shipping. For 4 clamps shipping is $20. Kinda steep when they have to go all of 10 miles from their warehouse 1 city over.

Toolnut has $25 some brands, and free shipping over some small amount, so I ordered the little 1-1/4hp Makita router kit that Derek posted about making the special base for recently.  They had the dust collection gizmo's too, so I included those to get covered under the free shipping.

• Like 1

I guess Acme was having the 2 for 1 jet clamp sale as well. I conveniently counted 4 empty spots on my clamp rack the day before so i snagged 4 24" clamps. This allowed me to fill out my large clamp rack.

1201191029_HDR.thumb.jpg.06ceef7772642e6a9de27853cc124362.jpg

I was going to acme to grab a dewalt mechanic's set for my dad for Christmas as they had one of the 247 piece sets on sale for $150. They are the only one locally that sells the dewalt mechanic's sets. I like the dewalt sets because they clip the sockets into place so when you throw it in the back of your vehicle they sockets don't turn in to a disastrous pile.

• Like 2

Well, I didn't buy any tools on Black Friday, or look too hard for them. The junk Home Depot and Lowes sell is too gimicky, outside of the occasional deal on cordless tools or tool storage.

I did buy 2 wire rack shelving units for cheap and 4 LED shop lights on sale. The new Macbook Air, tires for my wife's car and new iPhone (for me) are the reason I wasn't looking for tool deals!

I wasted more time on it than I recovered by reduced prices.   I didn't find anything woodworking related today.  I did get a good Cyber Monday deal on a little vinyl sign cutter.  I have labels on over 140 toolboxes, that were printed on computer printer labels, that need to be redone.  That will be a tedious process, but I wanted to do it in a professional looking manner this time.  It'll be handy to have for other things too.

• Like 1