Your Christmas traditions

Chet

When I worked in the meat department for a grocery chain, Christmas time was one of my favorite times because you got a chance to hear about the different traditional meals that your customers prepared for Christmas eve or day.  This is the one thing that I still sort of miss in my retirement, not being able to talk to people about their traditions.

So I thought I would start a conversation here and see what all you people have for traditional family eating habits. 

I'll start it off.  Ours comes form my wife's side of the family it is Portuguese and is called vinha d'alhos, I think that is how it's spelled.  It is pork marinated in wine or vinegar along with pickling spice, garlic, pepper and a little salt.  Marinates 3 - 4 days then Christmas morning we fry it up and serve it with eggs and french bread that has been dipped in the marinade and also fried up.  When I first tried it when I was dating my wife, I wasn't sure I cared for it but now I couldn't get through Christmas with out it.

• Like 1

Our food traditions seem plain and boring. We have ham or turkey, cheesy potatoes, and a green bean casserole.

Our deserts are more of a tradition. Always ginger snap cookies and decorated sugar cookies.

Other traditions are playing whist for many many hours. A more recent tradition seems to be trying to dodge work schedules. Someone always ends up having to work so we have to make last minute changes to our schedule.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Always ginger snap cookies

Oh man, this is my favorite cookie.  When Kathy makes them for the holidays she makes some extras and freezes them in portion to last the year.

If there were a ginger snap eating contest I would be in contention for a top spot.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

About our only consistent tradition is setting up the tree Thanksgiving weekend.

I didn't realize how many people did this.  When I was a kid we put it up sort of late in the season because my mom liked to keep it up until Epiphany.

• Like 2

We have several, I love xmas and having my family home the most. We start xmas eve by heading to the Honey Baked Ham Company to get the ham for Xmas dinner and soup packs for New years eve. Then we stop buy my favorite aunt and uncles to drop off our woodworking gift. They love getting them, her living room is like a showroom for my work I have been doing it for so many years lol. After that we head home and once the kids get there its always Hors d'oeuvre's and games on xmas eve. Christmas day we open our gifts have brunch and then a large dinner later in the day. Usually movies and games etc throughout the day. Not going to lie I can't wait...but now I need to get back to to the shop and finish those gifts :o

• Like 2

My wife makes Potica Bread. It's hard to explain but it's cinnamon and ground walnuts on thin dough rolled up into loaves so that you have flaky pastry between the cinnamon/nuts layers. Very laborious to make and very delicious.

It originates in Slovenia and her family picked it up when they lived in the Pueblo, CO area when she was a child. Apparently there is a population of Slovenians in the Pueblo area. Who knew?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Chet said:

When I was a kid we put it up sort of late in the season because my mom liked to keep it up until Epiphany.

My mom always insisted on the same thing. We'd get the tree the weekend before Christmas, then always go for hamburgers at Bob's Better Burger in Midland, TX. When I got a little older I realized that trees were always discounted as Christmas got closer and wondered if that had something to do with it.

We always have pork tamales on Christmas Eve followed by green chile, sausage and egg casserole for Christmas breakfast. Then usually a rib roast for dinner. 

I'm getting hungry.

• Like 2

It's nice to hear everyone's traditions. We started 3-4 years ago staying home on Christmas Eve and making calzones with the kids. No idea why my wife picked it.

Christmas dinner is usually a turkey/ham at my parents house. I think the 'standard' tradition. My in-laws always have hominey and sausage for breakfast when we get together for Christmas. Never really loved it, but I think I would miss it if we didn't have it.

With all of our families growing it's just nice to get together. We celebrated Christmas a couple of years ago with my inlaws on a Friday night drinking beer and eating appetizers and it was still fun.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mick S said:

My mom always insisted on the same thing. We'd get the tree the weekend before Christmas, then always go for hamburgers at Bob's Better Burger in Midland, TX. When I got a little older I realized that trees were always discounted as Christmas got closer and wondered if that had something to do with it.

We always have pork tamales on Christmas Eve followed by green chile, sausage and egg casserole for Christmas breakfast. Then usually a rib roast for dinner. 

I'm getting hungry.

Dang Mick I'm coming to your house for xmas that sounds amazing :P

6 hours ago, Chet said:

Dave, many years back I had a piece of Potica Bread.  It was a commercial product, in the sense of mass produced, which I know is probably not the same as what your wife makes.

I didn't know there was a commercially made Potica. I didn't know the stuff existed until I settled down with my wife. These days it doesn't feel like the holiday is complete without that smell of baking cinnamon.