Router bit storage

rainjer

I did mine 1 1/2 on center.  If you were to have a couple of different style molding or raised panel bits that may be a couple of inches in diameter or more and if you want them side by side for organizational reasons, you could end up with the blades banging against each other.  I ran in to this with my 1 1/2 inch layout and have to have them away from each other.  Every time I open my bit drawer I have to avert my vision so it doesn't bug me that they aren't lined up.:blink:

I use a series of smaller blocks in a drawer. I can make a new one in a few minutes when I need it and don't have any trouble tossing an old one that my bit collection has out grown. But that isn't going to work with your shelving idea. 

It is going to cost you a fortune to buy all of those inserts. An alternative would be to layout a grid and alternate 1/4" holes with 1/4" holes. 

1 hour ago, Chet said:

I did mine 1 1/2 on center.  If you were to have a couple of different style molding or raised panel bits that may be a couple of inches in diameter or more and if you want them side by side for organizational reasons, you could end up with the blades banging against each other.  I ran in to this with my 1 1/2 inch layout and have to have them away from each other.  Every time I open my bit drawer I have to avert my vision so it doesn't bug me that they aren't lined up.:blink:

O See D C:D

I agree with @BillyJack about a simple grid layout.  Given that you plan to have multiple shelves, I think I'd plan different layouts by shelf, and plan that based on what your collection of bits looks like.  For narrow bits - straight, spiral, groove bits, etc. - I'd drill the holes 1-1/4" - 1-1/2" apart.  For edge profile bits or rail and stile door bits, you might want a little wider spacing to allow room for your fingers.  You don't need to put an insert into every hole - put them in where needed, as needed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Never really liked reaching into a small forest of cutters so . . .

Bit-Boxes-2.jpg.bce854b9f54242dd339f4268104c1632.jpg

Door-Cosed.jpg.8032dfffd0c11f5a9eb45bf3de572f64.jpg

Agree the plastic cases can work as good as a router bit drawer. I use the Bass Pro boxes I got on sale on there black friday for a $1 each. The bigger, larger bits like raised panel bits stay in there form box in the drawer...

20200221_073447.jpg

• Like 1

I just took a piece of 3/4" plywood and drilled 1/4" and 1/2" holes in it... maybe 1" between them.   Some bits are wider so they cover multiple holes.  This is in a little wooden box.  And then one day I got a bit which was about 4" tall and it won't fit in my box standing up...

I also agree that it's not much fun pulling on the bit from the sharp end to get it out.

So honestly the little plastic parts boxes make a lot of sense to me.

I have mostly Freud bits. The containers they come in are large and take up a lot of space. The bits are also well ensconced in the containers; I often need to use a heavy leather glove to safely remove the bits. I have explored another system, but the outline on the container that describes what cut the bit does is a help to my senility.......

I bought my table already built on Craigslist so sadly mine are thin/deep drawers that slide out. I wish that they were set in small squares in the drawers so that I could take them out and look at a few at a time. It would be nice to be able to see like 4 of them at a time. Hard to tell which one you need without taking out 3 or 4 and looking at them till you get the right one.  I find that I only use about 5 of them so those are all in the front.