Diving in with a Kayak Build

Bmac

This is going to be a great one to follow. I've wanted to do a cedar strip canoe for a long time. I keep saying next year and other stuff keeps getting in the way. Maybe this thread will finally convince me to do it next year but probably not.

I've used kyaks and canoes and I've never fully understood the draw to kyaks over canoes but that's just one person's opinion.

Looks fabulous!

Do you know why they call for wood dust, and not colloidal silica?  I know the CS is very hazardous for breathing, but seems like it would save a lot of weight over epoxy saturated wood dust.  The Colloidal Silica basically weighs nothing.  

49 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Looks fabulous!

Do you know why they call for wood dust, and not colloidal silica?  I know the CS is very hazardous for breathing, but seems like it would save a lot of weight over epoxy saturated wood dust.  The Colloidal Silica basically weighs nothing.  

I'm not sure, but the container of wood dust is pretty darn light also. I think the weight difference is minimal. The nice thing about wood dust is if you need extra it's pretty much free.

44 minutes ago, Coop said:

Great job. It’s going to be interesting to see how you cut the man hole out. I’m sure there is another name for it. 

There is a form on the deck that will be the cockpit. I just put the strips up against it to form the man hole.

Bmac when I watch your projects progress I get a little envy that you get after it till it's done, while i have stuff on my bench that's waiting waiting waiting for me to get back out there. I have too many dang hobbies....

That said, I really enjoy watching these things take shape, and so far it looks fantastic!

• Like 1